News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Detailed history of Arkansas state highways

Started by NE2, March 08, 2015, 03:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

I've compiled this from old maps and minutes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_U.S._Roads/Arkansas/All-time_list

Anyone know where the following were? The minutes don't give enough detail.
*US 70S and US 70T (Hot Springs)
*US 71S (Benton County)
*US 79S (Columbia County)
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US71

Quote from: NE2 on March 08, 2015, 03:10:42 AM
I've compiled this from old maps and minutes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_U.S._Roads/Arkansas/All-time_list

Anyone know where the following were? The minutes don't give enough detail.
*US 70S and US 70T (Hot Springs)
*US 71S (Benton County)
*US 79S (Columbia County)

My best guess for 71S may have been the short section between 71(now 71B) and AR 12 West. "Rainbow Curve"
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

NE2

Quote from: US71 on March 08, 2015, 09:41:02 AM
My best guess for 71S may have been the short section between 71(now 71B) and AR 12 West. "Rainbow Curve"
Too late and too far north.
Quote2001-218  WHEREAS, the Missouri Department of Transportation, in cooperation with the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department, has initiated plans for major improvements to Highway 71 at the Arkansas/Missouri border; and
WHEREAS, this project necessitates the construction of a new connection to a county road from Highway 71 in Arkansas near the state line; and
WHEREAS, for the purpose of implementing this project, the connection must be a part ofthe State Highway System.
NOW THEREFORE, in cooperation with the State of Missouri and Benton County, the following actions are authorized.
1.  The connection shall be added to the State Highway System as Highway 71, Section 19S, as shown on Attachment 1.
2.  The Director is authorized to take necessary actions for implementing this project, including procurement of right of way for the connection as shown on Attachment 2.
FURTHERMORE, upon completion of the project, Benton County will assume ownership of this connection.
It's probably Bear Hollow Road. I could ask AHTD for a scan of the attachment, but that's no fun.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bjrush

Woo Pig Sooie

cjk374

QuoteU.S. Route 79S (Columbia County, Arkansas)
1987-02 86: (S1S industrial access) US 79 where? west 0.4 mi
1990-01 10: (S1S industrial access) deleted

I can help you with this.  This is located at Albemarle Corp. 12 miles north of the AR/LA state line.  There are still AHTD R.O.W. markers in the ditches and all of the signs on this 0.4 mi stretch have the old school sign post back brace. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.1789469,-93.212656,17z

It is the part of Ethyl Rd that goes west from US 79, and not the part that makes the right turn going back north to CR 79.

There is also another old alignment of US 79 not mentioned:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.2081104,-93.2218311,15z

Notice the gap in Columbia CR 7?  There is a steel mill located here (CMC).  The leg of CR 7 that comes in from the north has a cyclone fence across it, starting the boundary of CMC's property. The old concrete slab of US 79 runs through the steel mill (we can see it from our train...the steel mill stores steel beams on it), & stops somewhere before you get to their building.  South of the steel mill, where the goog shows that leg of CR 7 turning to the right toward US 79 is acutally signed CR 7B.  Here is an image from the south end of the steel mill where CR 7 turns right and becomes signed as CR 7B...notice the old alignment through the fence that has an old arrow on it:  https://www.google.com/maps/@33.205041,-93.226687,3a,75y,16.44h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sMbuGqksseM8jnP11bpthuw!2e0

Perhaps that's why Columbia County numbered the county route a little further south as CR 79...maybe it used to be an old US 79 alignment?  But as you continue to scroll south, CR 79 make a 90 degree turn, because of Albemarle Corp, back to US 79.  I have looked and looked, but I can't see any old alignments through Albemarle or south of Albemarle that line up with the current route.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

NE2

Quote from: cjk374 on March 09, 2015, 08:37:20 PM
QuoteU.S. Route 79S (Columbia County, Arkansas)
1987-02 86: (S1S industrial access) US 79 where? west 0.4 mi
1990-01 10: (S1S industrial access) deleted

I can help you with this.  This is located at Albemarle Corp. 12 miles north of the AR/LA state line.  There are still AHTD R.O.W. markers in the ditches and all of the signs on this 0.4 mi stretch have the old school sign post back brace. 
Thanks - that makes sense.

Quote from: cjk374 on March 09, 2015, 08:37:20 PM
Perhaps that's why Columbia County numbered the county route a little further south as CR 79...maybe it used to be an old US 79 alignment?  But as you continue to scroll south, CR 79 make a 90 degree turn, because of Albemarle Corp, back to US 79.  I have looked and looked, but I can't see any old alignments through Albemarle or south of Albemarle that line up with the current route.
The 1929 county map shows then-AR 19 on the modern alignment. The CR 79 number is probably just coincidence - I see 78 to the north (though it doesn't seem to actually exist) and 82 and 84 nearby to the west (these are signed, and 82 may be an old alignment of AR 19).

cjk374

78, 30, and the other numbered routes inside squares, as well as the roads listed as "Albemarle Rd" and "Ethyl Rd." (the goog misspelled Ethyl) are private roads going into Albemarle's brine fields.  Perhaps these square-number routes are old county roads that were purchased by (originally named Bromette, then changed to Ethyl Corp.) Albemarle?

But then I scrolled south and noticed 407 in a square...I know for sure this is a signed, public road.  So perhaps I should only say "some" of the square-numbered routes.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

bugo

Quote from: NE2 on March 08, 2015, 12:17:38 PM
Quote2001-218  WHEREAS, the Missouri Department of Transportation, in cooperation with the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department, has initiated plans for major improvements to Highway 71 at the Arkansas/Missouri border; and
WHEREAS, this project necessitates the construction of a new connection to a county road from Highway 71 in Arkansas near the state line; and
WHEREAS, for the purpose of implementing this project, the connection must be a part ofthe State Highway System.
NOW THEREFORE, in cooperation with the State of Missouri and Benton County, the following actions are authorized.
1.  The connection shall be added to the State Highway System as Highway 71, Section 19S, as shown on Attachment 1.
2.  The Director is authorized to take necessary actions for implementing this project, including procurement of right of way for the connection as shown on Attachment 2.
FURTHERMORE, upon completion of the project, Benton County will assume ownership of this connection.
It's probably Bear Hollow Road. I could ask AHTD for a scan of the attachment, but that's no fun.

That road goes to a Walmart facility. More corporate welfare courtesy of AHTD. I don't think the road was ever actually SPUR US 71 and I'm sure it wasn't signed because as soon as they finished building the road they turned it back to the county.

US71

Quote from: bugo on April 23, 2015, 10:09:07 AM
Quote from: NE2 on March 08, 2015, 12:17:38 PM

That road goes to a Walmart facility. More corporate welfare courtesy of AHTD. I don't think the road was ever actually SPUR US 71 and I'm sure it wasn't signed because as soon as they finished building the road they turned it back to the county.

Tyson had a short section of 102 for several years (Olrich St).
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Atomica

Quote from: cjk374 on March 10, 2015, 06:44:14 AM
78, 30, and the other numbered routes inside squares, as well as the roads listed as "Albemarle Rd" and "Ethyl Rd." (the goog misspelled Ethyl) are private roads going into Albemarle's brine fields.  Perhaps these square-number routes are old county roads that were purchased by (originally named Bromette, then changed to Ethyl Corp.) Albemarle?

But then I scrolled south and noticed 407 in a square...I know for sure this is a signed, public road.  So perhaps I should only say "some" of the square-numbered routes.

Is that a County Route, maybe?  It could be a blue pentagon route...
"A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything."
--- Malcolm X, 1925-1965

bugo

The list is missing a relocation of US 71 from Mena to Hatfield. From S-N (cardinal direction more W-E) it followed CR 37, AR 375, AR 8 (former AR 375), Reeves/Janssen (former AR 8), Mena (AR 88, former AR 8) to the current alignment. There are several other old alignments in Polk County but most of them were rerouted in the '20s or '30s. The Hatfield-Mena segment was rerouted sometime in the mid '30s according to the dates the bridges for the current alignment were built.

formulanone

bugo

"1966-08 416: (S1) realigned onto Morrow (?) Street (from Dallas-Mena) in Mena"

Morrow used to be Monroe. I have no idea why they changed it. It would have been changed sometime in the mid-late '80s.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.