News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

machias

Quote from: Jim on April 03, 2016, 12:57:03 AM
Quote from: empirestate on April 02, 2016, 11:42:40 PM
Quote from: cl94 on April 02, 2016, 11:07:36 PM
On a different note, does anybody know when NY 5S was moved over to the old railroad bridge over Schoharie Creek? I drove through there last week and was quite surprised to be driving on the rail bridge. The trail was shifted to the former NY 5S bridge.

Wasn't it as a result of the Thruway bridge collapse?

That was one of the times, yes, but in recent years 5S has been switched back and forth a few times.  I think this most recent switch was done by early last fall.  I seem to remember it being switched back over to the railroad bridge when I drove out that way to get on the Thruway at 28 headed west in September.  Maybe it was later than that, though.

Were they alternating traffic now on the RR bridge?  It was very annoying all summer when they were working on the RR bridge and had one lane alternating (with traffic lights) on the original automobile bridge (the one to the south/upstream) to keep half of the bridge dedicated for the bike trail.

There are several bridges in R2 that have one-way alternating traffic due to bridge inspection results and I think the bridges that you're talking about are amongst them. Perhaps they swapped bridges again to try to extend the shelf life of both bridges.  NYSDOT money is tight, which is really a shame because budgetary concerns should never compromise motorist safety when it comes to things like bridges and such.

cl94

NB Northway closed between Exits 16 (Saratoga CR 33) and 17 (US 9) in Wilton and Moreau due to a multi-vehicle accident. This comes less than 24 hours after I-88 was shut down in Schenevus for an accident of similar scale.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Jim

^^ It's amazing, almost embarrassing, how poorly the Albany area is handling a few inches of snow today.  This level of disruption is normally reserved for much more significant snowfalls or in places that are much less prepared to deal with snow.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

cl94

Quote from: Jim on April 04, 2016, 01:10:19 PM
^^ It's amazing, almost embarrassing, how poorly the Albany area is handling a few inches of snow today.  This level of disruption is normally reserved for much more significant snowfalls or in places that are much less prepared to deal with snow.

It's the only storm of the year and we're having a year's worth of accidents. I'm convinced it's because people forgot how to drive in the snow. NY 28N is closed in Minerva due to a tour bus accident and the various traffic sources are reporting an accident every couple of miles along every major road. I-787 has an accident every half-mile or so along its entire length, including one on the Collar City Bridge.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

empirestate

Quote from: Jim on April 04, 2016, 01:10:19 PM

Judging from social media, it appears everyone has forgotten that snow in April is not at all uncommon at these latitudes.

(Not even kidding...I bet if there was a study, people today would perform far worse at long-term memory tasks than we used to, because of the immediacy with which information tends to be presented to and processed by us.)

Rothman

I can't believe the situation, myself and all the nonsense that's going on out there.  Especially since my commute was slowed down by scared people putzing along at 20 mph or less on Central Ave in Colonie.

We've had April snow before, in fact, quite recently (either last year or the year before we got a dusting even later than this).  April Fools' blizzards are at least frequent enough to stick in people's memories, I would have thought.

A person can be smart; people are stupid.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

I'm trying to figure it out. Yeah, we've had a light winter, but anything can happen around here until Memorial Day. My commute in was slow, but I also passed a bunch of people who had spun out heading down the hills too fast.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Rothman on April 04, 2016, 01:41:34 PM
A person can be smart; people are stupid.

I LOVE this quote.  Carry on ^_^
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

Jim

I think a big part of the problem is that the various organizations responsible for salting/sanding/plowing really dropped the ball on the morning commute.  It's like they thought that just because it was warm a few days ago that the snow wouldn't stick on the roads today.  Well, it's been cold the last day or two, and yes, it stuck.  Once the plows got out and surfaces were treated, the pavement quickly became just wet, even while the snow was still coming down.  And of course drivers seemed to forget how to deal with snow, behaving in the dangerous combination of some being terrified and driving way too slow and some driving like it's sunny and 60 on dry roads.

cl94

Quote from: Jim on April 04, 2016, 08:42:57 PM
I think a big part of the problem is that the various organizations responsible for salting/sanding/plowing really dropped the ball on the morning commute.  It's like they thought that just because it was warm a few days ago that the snow wouldn't stick on the roads today.  Well, it's been cold the last day or two, and yes, it stuck.  Once the plows got out and surfaces were treated, the pavement quickly became just wet, even while the snow was still coming down.  And of course drivers seemed to forget how to deal with snow, behaving in the dangerous combination of some being terrified and driving way too slow and some driving like it's sunny and 60 on dry roads.

I think the wetness yesterday afternoon and evening didn't help things. Stuff was heavily salted when I was out in the early afternoon, but at least where I am, we got rain during and after the initial snowburst (the one that caused the I-88 accident) and I think that washed the salt away. Certainly doesn't excuse the lack of salting overnight.

MisterSG1

While all this drama went on in Albany, let me speak for what happened in the GTA....I left this morning slightly before 6AM to head to the subway station, which involves me using the 401. Well, I think I saw 5 accidents on my way to the highway alone, didn't see any issues surprisingly on the 427 or 409.

When I got to the Allen Rd exit, 4 or 5 inches of snow had to have fallen and the plows hadn't touched or treated the loop ramp, I carefully take the ramp at 10-15km/h (advisory speed is 30km/h), some guy behind me pulls to the right of me and tries to overtake me, I let him go, he tries to make the ramp, overcorrects, goes into the jersey barrier, and spins out facing me.....yup what an idiot.

When I board the subway, which is at most 5 minutes after, for those of you who don't know, the subway passes over the 401, and I saw the 401 EB Express lanes had no flow whatsoever....yup I knew it was gonna be a long and horrifying commute for most people today.

I think the issue here is that most people thought winter was over, as we've had nicer weather combined with the very little snowfall we've had this year, and well people do stupid moves. It's not just drivers in Albany, but here in the GTA as well!

cl94

The new state budget includes funding for Northway Exit 3 (or whatever they're numbering the new ramps). If you're remotely familiar with the area, you will know that the project is much needed and long overdue.

If you haven't been following the developments, the C-D road that was supposed to be the beginning of I-687 will be removed and a 3/4 trumpet will be constructed behind the Red Roof Inn on the south side, connecting directly to NY 155/CR 151 at the end of the airport runway. The current NB ramps will remain, but the NB exit ramp will be converted to right turn only. The SB Exit 5 entrance ramp will be directly connected to the mainline and both current SB ramps will be eliminated.

vdeane

I believe it's supposed to be numbered exit 4.  It also includes an exit only lane NB between exits 4 and 5, which should help some of the congestion there (largely caused by people using the right lane as an exit only lane now, even though it's really a through lane).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

dgolub

Quote from: vdeane on April 05, 2016, 05:51:06 PM
I believe it's supposed to be numbered exit 4.  It also includes an exit only lane NB between exits 4 and 5, which should help some of the congestion there (largely caused by people using the right lane as an exit only lane now, even though it's really a through lane).

It says in the article that they're going to be reconfiguring exit 4, not adding an exit 3.

cl94

Quote from: dgolub on April 05, 2016, 07:35:15 PM

It says in the article that they're going to be reconfiguring exit 4, not adding an exit 3.

My point is that a ramp is being added. Old NB Exit 4 is staying.

vdeane

It says they're reconfiguring exit 4... it does NOT say what NYSDOT plans to number the exits when done (which will be 4A/4B NB... yes, I asked).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on April 06, 2016, 01:14:10 PM

It says they're reconfiguring exit 4... it does NOT say what NYSDOT plans to number the exits when done (which will be 4A/4B NB... yes, I asked).

Thanks. That's what I was wondering. None of the study documents I could find publicly available listed exit numbers. Of course, depending on if/when the Northway ever gets renumbered, those numbers could be something completely different by the time everything is posted or shortly thereafter.

Buffaboy

I've passed by this place a million times, what is it's significance to the DOT?

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.7571549,-78.836929,201m/data=!3m1!1e3
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

vdeane

Looks like a residency or subresidency.  They're the ones who handle routine maintenance such as snow plowing or dealing with signs that are knocked over.

cl94

Quote from: Buffaboy on April 06, 2016, 09:08:20 PM
I've passed by this place a million times, what is it's significance to the DOT?

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.7571549,-78.836929,201m/data=!3m1!1e3

Quote from: vdeane on April 06, 2016, 09:34:30 PM
Looks like a residency or subresidency.  They're the ones who handle routine maintenance such as snow plowing or dealing with signs that are knocked over.

It isn't the residency-the Hamburg/South Erie Residency is on Lakeview Rd in the village. The R5 residency listing I found does not include that location.

What does the sign say? Looks like equipment storage and a fueling station. Could be the sign shop and other manufacturing/maintenance.

vdeane

I have heard about a sign shop near there.  Given the vehicles in the lot, it could be vehicle maintenance too (like the one in Waterford).

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on April 06, 2016, 09:49:24 PM
Given the vehicles in the lot, it could be vehicle maintenance too (like the one in Waterford).

I was thinking that. None of the residencies in the area have vehicle maintenance facilities beyond refueling and salt barns.

Buffaboy

There's some kind of fuel pump in the front and offices.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

cl94

On a different note, I was checking on the NY 85 construction yesterday and noticed that Region 1 installed an APL at the I-90 trumpet. I don't know when it happened, but I don't remember it from the last time I was out that way. First APL in Region 1.

NY 85 is 3 lanes through most of the construction zone. 2 EB, 1 WB. This was accomplished by closing an exit ramp heading EB.

Jim

Quote from: cl94 on April 06, 2016, 11:34:59 PM
On a different note, I was checking on the NY 85 construction yesterday and noticed that Region 1 installed an APL at the I-90 trumpet. I don't know when it happened, but I don't remember it from the last time I was out that way. First APL in Region 1.

NY 85 is 3 lanes through most of the construction zone. 2 EB, 1 WB. This was accomplished by closing an exit ramp heading EB.

I thought I knew most of the terms and acronyms by now, but I guess not.  What does APL stand for?

I'm guessing you're referring to the new large overhead sign showing which lanes to use to get to each direction on I-90.  That has been there 2 or 3 weeks now, I think.  Just yesterday I noticed a lot more ground-mounted temporary-looking signs indicating left lane for WB and right lane for EB I-90.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.