News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

About time. Nice to see that they're extending the numbering up to NY 295. This will be the first significant length of mile-based numbering in the state.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

amroad17

Milepost exit numbers!!!  Nice! :thumbsup:
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

The Ghostbuster

How many decades will we have to wait for the rest of the state to get mileage-based exits as well (excluding Interstate 99/US 15 and Interstate 781)?

vdeane

Why didn't they give a number to that exit just south of the Thruway?

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 15, 2016, 05:15:28 PM
How many decades will we have to wait for the rest of the state to get mileage-based exits as well (excluding Interstate 99/US 15 and Interstate 781)?
Theoretically, I-890/NY 890 has mile-based exit numbers, but that may not hold with the renumbering at exit 4 (if done right, Erie Blvd and GE should be 4A both directions, and NY 5 should be 4B).

As for everything else... I'm not expecting anything any time in the foreseeable future.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on November 15, 2016, 05:37:44 PM

I'm assuming that has to do with Region 8 not considering the parkway to start until just south of that exit to allow trucks between there and the Thruway. Per state law, trucks are banned on all parkways excluding south of Sunrise Highway.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

vdeane

Then why were trucks allowed on the Lake Ontario State Parkway in Orleans County until a few years ago (I presume due to the pavement deterioration)?  Or, at least, they appeared to be... signage directed commercial vehicles to exit at NY 272, and no signage prohibited trucks on the entrance ramps in Orleans County.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Flyer78

Dated Nov 14, are these the next "Cuomo Signs" we'll be tracking? (Due to the size (width) of the linked image, I am providing the direct link instead of the image)

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/img/home-full-19.jpg

(Pull Over for Emergency/Maintenance Vehicles)

cl94

At least those could have a safety benefit. Way too many emergency responders and construction workers hit and killed by drivers in the Albany area recently.

GenExpwy

Mileage exit numbers:
When I-390 opened between Avoca and Wayland in 1975, for just a few weeks Cohocton was exit 10 and Wayland was exit 16. Avoca is exit 1 either way, of course. The Dansville exits were never numbered in the 20s.

Maybe this is because 390 was the first Interstate in Region 6, and there may have been some confusion in the Hornell office.

machias

Quote from: GenExpwy on November 16, 2016, 02:33:11 AM
Mileage exit numbers:
When I-390 opened between Avoca and Wayland in 1975, for just a few weeks Cohocton was exit 10 and Wayland was exit 16. Avoca is exit 1 either way, of course. The Dansville exits were never numbered in the 20s.

Maybe this is because 390 was the first Interstate in Region 6, and there may have been some confusion in the Hornell office.

The NYSMUTCD around 1974 called for milepost exit numbering for all newly constructed freeways. That's why that happened with I-390 and also why I-88 had blank exit number panels for a long while, until they decided to switch back to sequential a few years later.  The reasoning for switching back was because they didn't want to have to renumber the interchanges when the U.S. switch to metric.

machias

Quote from: route17fan on November 15, 2016, 03:44:04 PM
The much-awaited Taconic State Parkway Stage 2 sign plans are out - D263236

Link: https://www.dot.ny.gov/doing-business/opportunities/const-contract-docs?p_d_id=D263236

Happy to see this effort. I used these plans in my pretty strong attempt to get the new signs coming up on I-790 in Utica to include "Albany / Buffalo" on the Thruway approach signs. R2 has to get sick of hearing from me sooner or later. I might have mentioned exit numbers again as well.

dgolub

Quote from: cl94 on November 15, 2016, 04:06:43 PM
About time. Nice to see that they're extending the numbering up to NY 295. This will be the first significant length of mile-based numbering in the state.

How about the Belt Parkway/Cross Island Parkway combination?  Also I-99, if you count that as significant.

route17fan

Quote from: dgolub on November 16, 2016, 09:14:50 AM

How about the Belt Parkway/Cross Island Parkway combination?  Also I-99, if you count that as significant.

All those added up do not even equal the Taconic. Add I-781 and it still falls short of the length of the Taconic. I just think he means that in terms of a single road, that it would be the longest posted with mileage-based exits. :)
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

empirestate

Quote from: cl94 on November 15, 2016, 05:46:55 PM

I'm assuming that has to do with Region 8 not considering the parkway to start until just south of that exit to allow trucks between there and the Thruway. Per state law, trucks are banned on all parkways excluding south of Sunrise Highway.

Not the Bear Mountain Parkway. Trucks are allowed to use it overnight so as to avoid being routed down Peekskill streets. (Light trucks can use it all day.)

kalvado

Theoretically, I-890/NY 890 has mile-based exit numbers, but that may not hold with the renumbering at exit 4 (if done right, Erie Blvd and GE should be 4A both directions, and NY 5 should be 4B).

As for everything else... I'm not expecting anything any time in the foreseeable future.

One could argue, that Northway up to Mohawk works pretty much mileage-based if you put milepost 0 at Western ave. Otherwise we could get a somewhat unique exit -1, as current exit 1E northbound occurs before milepost 0

vdeane

Quote from: upstatenyroads on November 16, 2016, 07:15:25 AM
The NYSMUTCD around 1974 called for milepost exit numbering for all newly constructed freeways. That's why that happened with I-390 and also why I-88 had blank exit number panels for a long while, until they decided to switch back to sequential a few years later.  The reasoning for switching back was because they didn't want to have to renumber the interchanges when the U.S. switch to metric.
Looks like NY resistance to renumbering was big even then.  Of course, that reasoning is pretty stupid in hindsight, given that the metric conversion died and now that the MUTCD mandates mile-based numbers.

Roadgeek Adam

I can't wait for that NY 44 shield to go up. Someone might want to alert R8.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

machias

Quote from: kalvado on November 16, 2016, 11:46:02 AM

One could argue, that Northway up to Mohawk works pretty much mileage-based if you put milepost 0 at Western ave. Otherwise we could get a somewhat unique exit -1, as current exit 1E northbound occurs before milepost 0

I was driving on a couple of the 3di interstates this past weekend and thinking that there's really no point in converting them to milepost-based exit numbering since they're pretty close already. Interstates 190 and 290 are close enough that I don't think they need to be changed. Interstate 590 might be fine as is. Interstate 690 would fit the bill with the old mileposts, but now that NY 690 is included in the posted distance, and the fact that there's no exit numbers on NY 690, everything on both NY 690/I-690 should be renumbered.

froggie

^ There's precedent to leaving 3-digit Interstate routes as sequential even if the 1/2-digit routes were converted.  Virginia is an example of this.  The Hampton Roads I-x64's, I-581, and I-395 all remained sequential when Virginia converted.  Probably due to their wider interchange spacing, I-295 and I-495 were lumped with the 2di's and converted to mile-based numbering.

goldfishcrackers4

New Roundabout proposed in Downtown Utica.

http://www.uticaod.com/news/20161118/roundabout-proposed-for-downtown-utica

I think this is a good project, but it's a shame that there doesn't seem to be anything in the near future about finishing the Arterial and removing the two remaining lights.
"It's the law (of physics). I don't share the road!"
-Unknown

D-Dey65

New item; The westbound ramp between the Northern State Parkway and the Long Island Expressway at Exit 29A/38 has a really bad merging situation, which was never dealt with during the reconstruction. They could've extended the lanes from the Northern State ramp to Exit 37, but instead all they gave a rat's ass about was putting up those phony sound walls.

SignBridge

D-Dey65, is there room under the railroad overpass at the bottom of the hill between Exits-37/38 for that extra westbound lane? Also, just for historical info, that current merge configuration dates to 1959 when the LIE reached Glen Cove Rd. (Exit-39) and the link to Northern State Pkwy. was opened. That was big news at the time in newly developed Nassau County, I was a little kid, but I remember it well! 

D-Dey65

There could've been, if they could eliminate the shoulder just for that bridge.

SignBridge

Not a good idea to eliminate a shoulder. It impedes emergency vehicle response. Also, I believe Interstate highways are required to have continuous shoulders, though you wouldn't know it to drive some of the older highways in the NYC area that were designated as Interstates.

amroad17

Quote from: froggie on November 18, 2016, 09:10:55 AM
^ There's precedent to leaving 3-digit Interstate routes as sequential even if the 1/2-digit routes were converted.  Virginia is an example of this.  The Hampton Roads I-x64's, I-581, and I-395 all remained sequential when Virginia converted.  Probably due to their wider interchange spacing, I-295 and I-495 were lumped with the 2di's and converted to mile-based numbering.
I concur with Froggie.  There really is no need to have all the I-x90's (except for I-390) change their exit numbers.  Many of the I-x90's have exits closely spaced where there would be A-B-C-D exits instead of "integer" exit numbers.  Same goes for I-787 in Albany as well as I-287 (Cross Westchester).  I believe I-684 should have milepost-based exit numbers.  I also believe I-390 should be re-numbered as I-99--but that is a different thread.

You know, if NYSDOT had followed through with the 1974 MUTCD, they probably would have saved a lot more money changing the exit numbers or posting mileage-based exit numbers on new Interstates in the 1970's and 1980's instead of now(ish).
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.