News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeek Adam

NYSDOT Touring Route Log for 2017 out:

- NY 191 decommissioned as of March 18, 2015 (my 24th birthday)
- NY 456 decommissioned as of March 18, 2015
- NY 314 truncated to the spur between 87 and 9.
- NY 220's extension to the Veterans Home in Oxford is gone, now just to NY 12 in Oxford Village.
- NY 261's county-maintained northern terminus lopped off.
- NY 374's county-maintained western terminus lopped off.

https://www.dot.ny.gov/divisions/operating/oom/transportation-systems/repository/2017%20tour-bk.pdf
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

froggie

QuoteCan't tell you how many idiots around here insist on saying "Kos-ee-yoos-ko."  Heard it's that way in Mississippi, too.

I can confirm that this is how Mississippi pronounces theirs.

Alps

Quote from: Rothman on January 09, 2017, 01:20:11 PM
Quote from: cl94 on January 09, 2017, 01:05:53 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 09, 2017, 11:23:53 AM
Anyone listening to today's (#1 of 6) State of the State?  Did Cuomo say "Koss-key-oss-ko"?  I was out of the room and thought I heard that.

That's one of the many "accepted" pronunciations. I have heard at least 5 and nobody can agree. We get around that in Albany by using another name for ours.

It's absolutely ridiculous.  There's only one correct way to pronouce Kosciuszko (the National Park Service has been on a small rant about this as well at the National Memorial in Philadelphia):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQaOSgf7uk4

Can't tell you how many idiots around here insist on saying "Kos-ee-yoos-ko."  Heard it's that way in Mississippi, too.  Dummies.
Can confirm above from Polish coworker.

Pete from Boston

Anyone listening to today's (#1 of 6) State of the State?  Did Cuomo say "Koss-key-oss-ko"?  I was out of the room and thought I heard that.

That's one of the many "accepted" pronunciations. I have heard at least 5 and nobody can agree. We get around that in Albany by using another name for ours.

I learned most of my NY geography as a little kid from Neil Bush in the WCBS chopper and even I know that's wrong.

Roadgeek Adam

I'm used to Koss-key-oss-ko because that's what I raised on from television news in NYC. 
Adam Seth Moss

Alps

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on January 09, 2017, 09:38:21 PM
I'm used to Koss-key-oss-ko because that's what I raised on from television news in NYC. 
That's odd. I always hear "kosh-ewe-sko" on the radio.

cl94

By far, Koss-key-oos-ko is the most common pronunciation I hear for both bridges. As far as Albany, that pronunciation is so ingrained in culture that you'll never change it. Never.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

briantroutman

That's almost exactly the way Jackie Gleason pronounces it in The Honeymooners:
https://youtu.be/Fglkj32dP44?t=16m20s

Duke87

Quote from: Alps on January 09, 2017, 10:00:58 PM

The recorded anouncements on the J train pronounce it "kosh-ewe-sko" as well (in reference to Kosciuszko Street, not the bridge).

I say and also most commonly hear "Kos-kyoo-sko".
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Beeper1

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on January 09, 2017, 03:28:00 PM

- NY 220's extension to the Veterans Home in Oxford is gone, now just to NY 12 in Oxford Village.

https://www.dot.ny.gov/divisions/operating/oom/transportation-systems/repository/2017%20tour-bk.pdf

Wow.  Quite the route number massacre in Clinton County.   I'm surprised the county, which like most of the north country isn't in great economic shape, agreed to take on these roads.  I know they don't total up to a lot of mileage, but as connectors to/from I-87 to other state roads, seemed to make sense as part of the state network.

Buffaboy

Is it Co-see-you-sco? Edit: it isn't. But I grew up in WNY, not the capital region. When it doubt sound it out.

Also, I noticed that Corning is actually signed at the I-590/I-390 junction which I found interesting because of how far away it's signed.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

cu2010

Quote from: Beeper1 on January 09, 2017, 11:27:26 PM
Wow.  Quite the route number massacre in Clinton County.   I'm surprised the county, which like most of the north country isn't in great economic shape, agreed to take on these roads.  I know they don't total up to a lot of mileage, but as connectors to/from I-87 to other state roads, seemed to make sense as part of the state network.

Those roads have already been county-maintained for years. The only thing that changed is that they lost their state route designations.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Alps on January 09, 2017, 10:00:58 PM

When I became aware if it (late 70s/early 80s) I learned "koss-key-oss-ko" from the WCBS radio traffic reports.

empirestate

I noticed the 2012 version went missing from their site the other day. I guess now we know why!

xcellntbuy

Quote from: cl94 on January 09, 2017, 10:33:26 PM
By far, Koss-key-oos-ko is the most common pronunciation I hear for both bridges. As far as Albany, that pronunciation is so ingrained in culture that you'll never change it. Never.
For us older folk, the Interstate 87 bridges over the Mohawk River are still called the Crescent Bridge (singular).

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

Quote from: xcellntbuy on January 10, 2017, 10:33:45 AM
For us older folk, the Interstate 87 bridges over the Mohawk River are still called the Crescent Bridge (singular).

Officially, that's the US 9 bridge located at Crescent.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

kalvado

Quote from: kalvado on January 06, 2017, 10:36:39 AM
Talking about last year speed limit cut on Washington ave. in Albany: A set of wrapped signs, looks like speed limit signs, sits along Washington ave. ext. for a while, I believe since November. Anyone knows what is going on? I wouldn't be surprised if there is something going on between city of A. and DOT...
and some predictable news: http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Albany-NYSDOT-campaign-seeks-to-reduce-10856037.php
Signs were still covered today in the morning. Why it took 2 months to uncover them still remains a question..

cu2010

Also, NY430's eastern terminus has been moved slightly southwest. It now follows Washington Street in the city of Jamestown to 5th Avenue (the intersection of NY60 and eastbound NY394) as opposed to following Fluvanna Avenue.

Signage appears to confirm this. As a result, the route has been extended approximately half a mile.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

machias

Quote from: cu2010 on January 13, 2017, 07:02:20 PM

Also, NY430's eastern terminus has been moved slightly southwest. It now follows Washington Street in the city of Jamestown to 5th Avenue (the intersection of NY60 and eastbound NY394) as opposed to following Fluvanna Avenue.

Signage appears to confirm this. As a result, the route has been extended approximately half a mile.

I noticed this when I was in the area in November. NY 430 now fully follows old NY 17's path to the intersection with old NY 17J.

When I lived in Jamestown in 87-88 and 90-91 I could never figure out why NY 430 didn't follow that route as it's signed today. It never made sense to follow Fluvanna to NY 60.  I'm happy that they had the routing make sense.

Rothman

Quote from: kalvado on January 13, 2017, 02:13:08 PM
Quote from: kalvado on January 06, 2017, 10:36:39 AM
Talking about last year speed limit cut on Washington ave. in Albany: A set of wrapped signs, looks like speed limit signs, sits along Washington ave. ext. for a while, I believe since November. Anyone knows what is going on? I wouldn't be surprised if there is something going on between city of A. and DOT...
and some predictable news: http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Albany-NYSDOT-campaign-seeks-to-reduce-10856037.php
Signs were still covered today in the morning. Why it took 2 months to uncover them still remains a question..

Gah.  I liked the 55 mph limit from Fuller to New Karner.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: cu2010 on January 13, 2017, 07:02:20 PM

I was wondering when I was in Jamestown why I saw this:

Makes perfect sense now.
Adam Seth Moss

vdeane

One could argue it's redundant to have two north-south state routes through Jamestown.  Personally I would have kept NY 430 on Fluvanna and rerouted NY 60 off of Washington (eliminating the NY 394 overlap).

In other news, a recent court case could have consequences for road design in NY: http://nyc.streetsblog.org/2017/01/05/states-highest-court-holds-nyc-liable-for-injuries-on-streets-without-traffic-calming/
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadgeek Adam

So apparently, checking it again, NY 8 has been truncated to the northern end of the concurrency with NY 10 instead of running to NY 17, lopping off 2.16 miles.

NY 102 has been truncated by 2.5 miles from NY 24 to William Street. It was county-maintained as CR 106 west of the junction, so it makes sense.

NY 204 east of I-390 lopped off.
Adam Seth Moss

Duke87

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on January 15, 2017, 03:00:21 PM
NY 8 has been truncated to the northern end of the concurrency with NY 10 instead of running to NY 17, lopping off 2.16 miles.

While that concurrency was topologically unnecessary this is an odd decision. 8 is the lower number, the longer route, and also the route that is logically through at the point where the two formerly diverged (staying on 10 is a right turn, 8 was straight). I would have kept 8 and truncated 10. Curious to know what the thinking was behind this.

This also creates a quirky situation where 8 ends at 10 and 10 ends at 8.

(8 is even the shorter route, by a full 22 miles, between the two 8/10 junctions!)
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.