News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Ben114 on May 20, 2019, 09:43:37 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on May 20, 2019, 09:08:36 PM
I know it would be confusing but I would prefer the Thruway mainline exits to be numbered based on mileage from Yonkers to Ripley.  The extant Interstates could be numbered based on mileage on their non-Thruway portions.  So,

Exit 1 on the Northway would be come Exit 148 (or 149).  This would require a re-numbering of I-87's mileposts since they reset at the split.

Exit 13 on the Deegan becomes exit 8

Exit B3 on the Berkshire Extension becomes Exit 23.

From Albany west MPs for the Thruway Mainline and I-90, respectively, could be installed.
Not a bad idea. I'd say ignore the Thruway mileposts and go off the I-87 / I-90 mileposts.

Mile 0 on I-87 would be at I-278, and on I-90 it would be the PA line.

Major Exits:
Thruway Exit 1 (Yonkers) - exit 9
Thruway Exit 24 (I-87 / I-90 switch) - exit 156 (I-87) / exit 345 (I-90)
Northway Exit 1 - exit 156
Northway Exit 43 (last in US) - exit 332
Berkshire Exit B1 - exit 367
Berkshire Exit B3 (last in NY) - exit 373

My #'s are slightly different (added in a few significant junctions).  I do not give exit #'s to the TOTSO's for the mainline route, rather for the connection to the other route.  Example: Thruway Exit 24 number is assigned to unsigned reference route carrying traffic continuing on the Thruway.

I-87
Thruway Exit 1: Exit 8B (NB)/8 (SB).  I have McLean Ave NB as 8A; and 8 SB is for McLean and Hall PL
I-287: Exit 19A and Exit 38
GSP: Exit 31B
NY 17 (Future I-86): Exit 53
I-84: Exit 68
I-787: Exit 150
Current Exit 24: Exit 156 (signed NB only for I-90 West). 
Northway Exit 1: Exit 157 A-B.  157A for Western Ave connector, 157B for I-90 East.  (Signed SB only)
NY 7 East: Exit 163
Last US Exit: Exit 333 (I factor in some mileage for the Thruway/Northway connection)

I-90
I-190: Exit 70
I-290: Exit 75B (EB), Exit 75 (WB)
I-490: Exit 117 & 145
I-390: Exit 133
I-690: Exit 207
(Current) I-81: Exit 213
I-481 (Future I-81?): Exit 219
I-790: Exit 262
I-890: Exit 333 & 342
I-88: Exit 337
I-87 South: Exit 347 (signed EB only; similar to I-87 N to I-90 W)
Western Ave connector: Exit 348 (EB); 348A (WB)
I-87 North: Exit 348B (numbered WB only)
I-787: Exit 354
Exit B1: Exit 368.  Number is assigned 3 ways: 90 East to Spur WB, 90 West for thru traffic on Spur; Spur East to 90 WB
Exit B3: Exit 385
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: abqtraveler on May 26, 2019, 08:07:48 AM
Quote from: empirestate on May 26, 2019, 02:17:16 AM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 25, 2019, 11:39:27 AM
*Is it just me, or is it high time the southeast quadrant of that interchange gets rebuilt, with the east-to-north ramp given more of a curve, and the north-to-east ramp relocated around it?

It's high time something got done there–I'm not worried about the east-to-north ramp, but the north-to-east ramp is a constant bottleneck, due to its sharp curves (due largely, I think, to the Star Ridge Rd overpass) and the merge into two lanes of I-84. Then again, I-84 is one huge fustercluck from there pretty much all the way to Hartford, so fixing the Brewster interchange might be like felling a redwood with a fly swatter.

I recall that NYSDOT was planning to straighten the I-684 NB to I-84 EB ramp, which would include replacing the Star Ridge Road overpass.  That was several years ago, so I'm not sure if that's still the case or if NYSDOT decided to put their money elsewhere.  In the longer term, NYSDOT wants to eventually add a third lane in each direction from I-684 to the Connecticut state line.  The recently-replaced bridges over Dingle Ridge Road are wide enough to accommodate a third lane if and when NYSDOT gets around to constructing the additional lane.

They did soften the I-684 NB ramp to I-84 EB.  It's still a sharp curve but not as bad as before.  I'm not really sure how they did it but it didn't involve any bridges but it is softer now. 
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

KEVIN_224

Soften...meaning changing the ramp's grade, angle or both?

PHLBOS

Speaking of the I-84/684 interchange: I'm not exactly liking the new striping treatment along the southbound mainline overpass approaching the I-84 eastbound exit ramp.  What used to be two through-lanes and an exit lane (see older GSVs) is now one through lane & one exit lane with a lot of white gore-hatch striping.  This configuration creates a needless traffic backup along the southbound mainline; most of the traffic is heading south for I-684.  Judging by the brand-new overhead signs (each sign with a downward arrow for the corresponding lane); such is planned to be a permanent condition.

Aerial view of Exhibit A

The above-observations were from yesterday (Memorial Day)... late afternoon/early evening.  I only noticed this while bypassing the two-mile long backup along I-84 westbound approaching I-684 (the parallel US 6/202 was fine).  I-684 southbound traffic beyond the I-84 interchange was fine.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

empirestate

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on May 27, 2019, 04:42:29 PM
Quote from: abqtraveler on May 26, 2019, 08:07:48 AM
I recall that NYSDOT was planning to straighten the I-684 NB to I-84 EB ramp, which would include replacing the Star Ridge Road overpass.  That was several years ago, so I'm not sure if that's still the case or if NYSDOT decided to put their money elsewhere.  In the longer term, NYSDOT wants to eventually add a third lane in each direction from I-684 to the Connecticut state line.  The recently-replaced bridges over Dingle Ridge Road are wide enough to accommodate a third lane if and when NYSDOT gets around to constructing the additional lane.

They did soften the I-684 NB ramp to I-84 EB.  It's still a sharp curve but not as bad as before.  I'm not really sure how they did it but it didn't involve any bridges but it is softer now. 

Aerial imagery shows what might be a more curved ROW, but the ramps have never occupied that area. Comparing Historic Aerials, it appears that the ramp was moved very slightly to the left in 2015.

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 28, 2019, 10:14:50 AM
Speaking of the I-84/684 interchange: I'm not exactly liking the new striping treatment along the southbound mainline overpass approaching the I-84 eastbound exit ramp.  What used to be two through-lanes and an exit lane (see older GSVs) is now one through lane & one exit lane with a lot of white gore-hatch striping.  This configuration creates a needless traffic backup along the southbound mainline; most of the traffic is heading south for I-684.  Judging by the brand-new overhead signs (each sign with a downward arrow for the corresponding lane); such is planned to be a permanent condition.

The need, we can be sure, was to allow two full lanes to flow in from the two directions of I-84, acknowledging in a way that the "mainline" isn't really the straight-thru roadway that comes from NY 22, but actually the Interstate-to-Interstate traffic. While there are still occasional backups exiting off of I-84, the merge into I-684 itself seems to work just fine.

QuoteThe above-observations were from yesterday (Memorial Day)... late afternoon/early evening.  I only noticed this while bypassing the two-mile long backup along I-84 westbound approaching I-684 (the parallel US 6/202 was fine).  I-684 southbound traffic beyond the I-84 interchange was fine.

And that makes me wonder if you just experience highly unusual traffic patterns, because that's what there was at that time and date. At the same time, the MNR train out of Poughkeepsie was what can only be described as "standing room only" (and inaccurately so, since there was no "room"), which happens a statistically negligible number of times per year. (The local train out of Croton was dead empty.)

I don't traverse this interchange terribly often, since I prefer to avoid I-84 altogether, but my sense is that there's rarely a need for more than a single lane coming from NY 22 into I-684.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: empirestate on May 28, 2019, 10:56:29 AM
And that makes me wonder if you just experience highly unusual traffic patterns, because that's what there was at that time and date. At the same time, the MNR train out of Poughkeepsie was what can only be described as "standing room only" (and inaccurately so, since there was no "room"), which happens a statistically negligible number of times per year. (The local train out of Croton was dead empty.)

Not to get too off topic, but it's ridiculous how terrible the service is on the Upper Hudson line considering Dutchess & Putnam county residents pay the same MTA taxes as everyone else downstate. Once you leave electrified territory MNR just doesn't seem to care–Upper Hudson line trains are usually packed, peak and off-peak, but there's never been any push to improve service. The diesel coaches are also the worst out of the entire fleet (with no replacement in the foreseeable future) and the locomotives are very mechanically problematic. There's clearly high demand on the line, weekend trains are frequently standing room only, especially on holidays and when the weather's nice, but running the bare minimum in service just pushes people to drive.

empirestate

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on May 28, 2019, 03:22:10 PM

Not to get too off topic, but it's ridiculous how terrible the service is on the Upper Hudson line considering Dutchess & Putnam county residents pay the same MTA taxes as everyone else downstate. Once you leave electrified territory MNR just doesn't seem to care–Upper Hudson line trains are usually packed, peak and off-peak, but there's never been any push to improve service. The diesel coaches are also the worst out of the entire fleet (with no replacement in the foreseeable future) and the locomotives are very mechanically problematic. There's clearly high demand on the line, weekend trains are frequently standing room only, especially on holidays and when the weather's nice, but running the bare minimum in service just pushes people to drive.

It's interesting that you mention that, since as I alluded to before, I haven't observed service issues to be the norm at all (and my regular commute involves the Poughkeepsie trains up to Peekskill). The biggest headaches usually involves crowds heading to Yankee games and other special events, but not because they fill the train, only because they are the opposite of tranquil. Still, the typical Poughkeepsie train is miles above the Harlem and New Haven lines in availability of seating, and compared to the LIRR or NJT, well... :-)

DJStephens

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on May 27, 2019, 08:55:31 PM
Soften...meaning changing the ramp's grade, angle or both?

It sure appears as if the 684 NB to 84EB ramp has had significant lengthening of the acceleration lane.  The transverse slab joints are visible on the mainline, while the newer acceleration lane has no such joints visible.   The deceleration lane for the 84WB to 684SB flyover appears to be the same as it's early seventies construction.   Remember the old concrete pavement in that area, believe it was overlaid in the mid to late nineties.  Used to think the noise made by tires going over the joints was super cool as a kid.   Can understand now why these pavements are often overlaid - much quieter for the abutters!   

D-Dey65

Aerial imagery shows what might be a more curved ROW, but the ramps have never occupied that area. Comparing Historic Aerials, it appears that the ramp was moved very slightly to the left in 2015.

Really? Because I'm looking at the aerial pics from both GSV and Historic Aerials, and I don't notice that much of a difference. I look at the thing, and the only thing preventing a smooth continuous curve from eastbound I-84 towards NY 22 is the northbound ramp from northbound I-684 to eastbound I-84. I'd almost like to suggest bowing that curve out, then closing the north to west loop ramp and converting the north-to-east ramp into a single off-ramp with a westbound flyover or flyunder leading to the south-to-westbound ramp. The keyword in that sentence is "almost," because I'm a little concerned about the impact it would have on the viaduct. As for Star Ridge Road, wouldn't it just be easier to build a third bridge under that for the ramp?

Come to think of it, there are a couple of parkways on Long Island that could use new bridges for ramps to other roads. I'm specifically referring to Seaman's Neck Road over the Southern State Parkway and the extended ramps to and from NY 135, and Indian Head Road over an extension of the west to north ramp from Northern State Parkway to Sunken Meadow State Parkway.

empirestate

Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 29, 2019, 01:02:16 PM

Really? Because I'm looking at the aerial pics from both GSV and Historic Aerials, and I don't notice that much of a difference.

Yep–like I said, "very slightly" (or as you said, not "that much of a difference"). Note the proximity of the travel lane to the median guide rail in the cloverleaf.

ipeters61

I was driving back to DE from CT this morning and noticed that the I-684 exit from I-84 is now Exit 68 (formerly Exit 20).  That one threw me off.  I did see that there's a discussion of mileage-based exits on I-84 in NY.  Are any other roads being converted?
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

noelbotevera

Quote from: ipeters61 on June 03, 2019, 07:16:35 PM
I was driving back to DE from CT this morning and noticed that the I-684 exit from I-84 is now Exit 68 (formerly Exit 20).  That one threw me off.  I did see that there's a discussion of mileage-based exits on I-84 in NY.  Are any other roads being converted?
I guess the Taconic, but NYSDOT is really stalling on that one. Other than that, no other roads pop out of me as being converted.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

jp the roadgeek

Don't see any others at this time. My guess is either I-81 or I-88 would be next, since they're less traveled than roads that pass near NYC and would be easier to relearn the exit numbers.  I lean I-88 given the uncertainty of the Syracuse situation with I-81
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

vdeane

Quote from: noelbotevera on June 03, 2019, 08:30:44 PM
I guess the Taconic, but NYSDOT is really stalling on that one. Other than that, no other roads pop out of me as being converted.
Given that the Taconic didn't have exit numbers, whether "converted" is the right word is debatable.  In any case, the exit numbers on it now extend all the way to NY 295, so that project is done.

I-99 also converted when it was designated.  I-781 technically did, between when plans were first drawn up and when the signs did (it was originally going to be 1 for I-81, 2 for US 11, and 3 for Fort Drum).  I-890 is arguable mile-based (whether it still qualifies with 4A missing is debatable), as is the NYSDOT portion of I-95.

I-81 is set to convert when the viaduct is removed.  I'm not aware of specific plans for anything else at this time.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

abqtraveler

Exits on the Taconic used to be numbered sequentially by county. IIRC, exit numbers would have a letter prefix indicating the county. Exit numbers increased heading north, but reset at each county line.  Last year, NYSDOT replaced all the signs on the Taconic and applied mile based numbering for the entire length of the parkway.  There was an article about the I-84 renumbering that stated that NYSDOT plans to replace signs and renumber exits on the Hutch in the near future. Here is a link to that article.

https://www.recordonline.com/news/20181209/state-will-convert-current-i-84-exit-signs-to-mileage-based-numbers
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Alps

Quote from: abqtraveler on June 04, 2019, 09:51:28 PM

Exits on the Taconic used to be numbered sequentially by county. IIRC, exit numbers would have a letter prefix indicating the county. Exit numbers increased heading north, but reset at each county line.  Last year, NYSDOT replaced all the signs on the Taconic and applied mile based numbering for the entire length of the parkway.  There was an article about the I-84 renumbering that stated that NYSDOT plans to replace signs and renumber exits on the Hutch in the near future. Here is a link to that article.

https://www.recordonline.com/news/20181209/state-will-convert-current-i-84-exit-signs-to-mileage-based-numbers
That's a very ancient used to.

empirestate

Quote from: Alps on June 04, 2019, 11:14:28 PM
Exits on the Taconic used to be numbered sequentially by county. IIRC, exit numbers would have a letter prefix indicating the county. Exit numbers increased heading north, but reset at each county line.

That's a very ancient used to.

Well, except for Knapp Road, which was still marked as P8 even until last year.

Buffaboy

What's happening at the region 5 substation in Hamburg? A whole lane of US 20 is coned off for a bunch of random cars and trucks to park. I've seen this before but never knew what it was.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

D-Dey65

The Hutch-Merritt Parkway exit configurations make no sense at all. I mentioned in an earlier post that I was iffy about a lot of the mileage-based exit numbers, but in this case I'm looking forward to them a lot more. I vaguely remember reading something about why Connecticut starts off with Exit 27 on Merritt Parkway after Exit 30 on the NY-CT State Line, but I forgot what it was.

And I wouldn't be surprised if the spur to I-684 gets an exit number in the process as well.

cl94

Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 05, 2019, 12:55:35 PM
The Hutch-Merritt Parkway exit configurations make no sense at all. I mentioned in an earlier post that I was iffy about a lot of the mileage-based exit numbers, but in this case I'm looking forward to them a lot more. I vaguely remember reading something about why Connecticut starts off with Exit 27 on Merritt Parkway after Exit 30 on the NY-CT State Line, but I forgot what it was.

And I wouldn't be surprised if the spur to I-684 gets an exit number in the process as well.

New York renumbered exits after a few were added to eliminate some As. Connecticut did not renumber.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

RobbieL2415

Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 05, 2019, 12:55:35 PM

I still wish we could have had a joint venture between CT and NY where the milage doesn't reset at the border and thus neither do the exit numbers.

PHLBOS

Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 05, 2019, 12:55:35 PM...I wouldn't be surprised if the spur to I-684 gets an exit number in the process as well.
Speaking of which & a side bar: it appears that Goggle Maps erred in terms of what's I-684 vs. the spur/Hutchinson River Parkway Connector.

I guess someone there thought the existence of an interchange at Manhattanville Rd. meant that particular road was I-684 instead of the actual I-684 Goog has it undesignated).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jp the roadgeek

Here's what I would think the Hutch numbering would look like:

Exit 1A: Bruckner Blvd WEST (NB); TO I-95 SOUTH/I-278 WEST Bruckner Blvd (SB)
Exit 1B: East Tremont Ave/Westchester Ave
Exit 2 A-B: Pelham Parkway East/West
Exit 3A (SB ONLY): I-95 SOUTH TO I-695/I-295 Throgs Neck Br//Stillwell Ave
Exit 3B (SB ONLY): Baychester Ave//TO I-95 NORTH New Haven
Exit 4: Shore Rd Orchard Beach/City Island
Exit 5 (NB ONLY): I-95 NORTH New Haven
Exit 6 (6A SB): US 1 Pelham Manor(/New Rochelle SB)
Exit 6B (SB ONLY): Sandford Blvd Pelham Manor/Mt Vernon
Exit 7A: Wolfs Land Mt Vernon/Pelham (NB); East 3rd St Mt Vernon/Pelham (SB)
Exit 7B: East Lincoln Ave Pelham/Mt Vernon
Exit 8A (NB ONLY): Cross County Parkway WEST TO Saw Mill Parkway Yonkers
Exit 8B (NB ONLY): Pelhamdale Ave/New Rochelle Rd New Rochelle
Exit 9 (SB ONLY): Cross County Parkway WEST TO Saw Mill Parkway Yonkers/GW Bridge
Exit 10A: Webster Ave New Rochelle (NB); Mill Rd EAST New Rochelle (SB)
Exit 10B: North Ave New Rochelle/Eastchester (NB); Mill Rd WEST Eastchester (SB)
Exit 11 (SB ONLY): Wilmot Rd
Exit 12: NY 125 Scarsdale/New Rochelle
Exit 13: Mamaroneck Rd Scarsdale/Mamaroneck
Exit 14 A-B: Mamaroneck Ave SOUTH/NORTH
Exit 16: NY 127 White Plains/Harrison
Exit 17A: Westchester Ave EAST//TO I-287 EAST Rye
Exit 17B: Westchester Ave WEST//TO I-287 West Tappan Zee Br (yes, I left the old name)
Exit 17C (NB ONLY): I-684 NORTH Brewster
Exit 18A: NY 120 TO Westchester Co Airport  Purchase St
Exit 18B: Lincoln Ave Rye Brook/Harrison
Exit 19: North Ridge St Rye Brook
Exit 20: NY 120A SOUTH Rye Brook/Greenwich (Merritt Exit 27 will be CT Exit 1.  GET ON THE BALL CTDOT)

vdeane

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 05, 2019, 08:24:48 PM
Exit 20: NY 120A SOUTH Rye Brook/Greenwich (Merritt Exit 27 will be CT Exit 1.  GET ON THE BALL CTDOT)
Honestly, I'd rather the interchange just settle on one number.  If that means NY converts and CT just uses the NY number if/when they convert, so be it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Quote from: vdeane on June 05, 2019, 08:59:24 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 05, 2019, 08:24:48 PM
Honestly, I'd rather the interchange just settle on one number.  If that means NY converts and CT just uses the NY number if/when they convert, so be it.
Who's going to win that political battle though? I would sooner bet on 20/1 than either state conceding.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.