News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 04, 2023, 11:43:24 AM
New York made a big mistake tearing down the old toll booth for the Bear Mountain Bridge:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3201378,-73.9890365,109m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en&entry=ttu
Observe this unlucky fellow trying to cross US 6 and 202 when the signs at the gantry tell everybody to keep moving.

Perhaps the better solution would've been to revive the old booth as a pedestrian bridge.
Isn't there a pedestrian tunnel over on the other side that links the zoo with the State Park?

Might need another one.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

seicer

There is a path but I think this is the official crossing for the Appalachian Trail.

SignBridge

Traffic is required to yield right-of-way to pedestrians in a marked crosswalk. And much as I dislike HAWK Beacons, this might be a good spot to install one. Or if not that, maybe just an RRFB (Rectangular, rapid flashing beacon).

vdeane

It would probably also help if the crosswalk and the toll gantry weren't right on top of each other.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Quote from: SignBridge on June 04, 2023, 08:34:03 PM
Traffic is required to yield right-of-way to pedestrians in a marked crosswalk. And much as I dislike HAWK Beacons, this might be a good spot to install one. Or if not that, maybe just an RRFB (Rectangular, rapid flashing beacon).
Pelican or RRFB.  Never HAWK.

Actually, probably RRFB due to proximity to that traffic circle.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

Will New York City ever include the HAWK into its vocabulary 😂?

Considering that mono tube mast arms still haven't made an appearance as well as modern signal controllers with loops, I think the timed crosswalk traffic signals will always be the norm to control crosswalks.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on June 04, 2023, 08:50:48 PM
Will New York City ever include the HAWK into its vocabulary 😂?

Considering that mono tube mast arms still haven't made an appearance as well as modern signal controllers with loops, I think the timed crosswalk traffic signals will always be the norm to control crosswalks.

There's probably a HAWK somewhere in the Five Boroughs, wreaking havoc.

seicer

Quote from: dantheman on June 03, 2023, 05:59:32 PM
Does anyone know the story behind the short four-lane divided section of NY 17A, for the easternmost two-ish miles before its junction at NY 17? It seems to go back to two lanes at a completely unremarkable spot, rather than at a major intersection or destination. (I doubt the NY Renaissance Faire or the former ski area visible on the satellite view ever generated enough traffic to warrant this, and the four-lane stretch doesn't quite make it to those anyway.) It also just-barely misses making it the whole way to NY 17. While there's a bit of a climb WB here, it doesn't seem steep enough to warrant a climbing lane, and much steeper parts further west don't have one... and this would also fail to explain the second lane EB.
https://goo.gl/maps/eRijUaXVVoEdnkzeA

My recollection was that this was to serve some emerging suburban areas that never fully came to fruition. There were some very large developments that were planned back in the 1950s-1970s - thousands of residential units, corporate complexes, etc. and only some were ever built. There was a push to preserve what was left of the green space, leading to the creation of the Sterling Forest State Park and other preserves.

roadman65

Bigger question. Why is there a NJ style mast arm here?
https://goo.gl/maps/Dm95wbtCpB8ZEoEg6

Also does anyone know if NY 17 A is a N-S or E-W route? It seems to lack directional banners on shields.

Edit:
Found some on NY 210.
https://goo.gl/maps/DM6xSsoLg8C3ttEh7
Never mind.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadwaywiz95

This weekend will feature a special "Meet Preview" *live* webinar that will profile the Buffalo, NY metro area in preparation for the meet that will be held there on July 29. This presentation will be hosted by yours truly and will feature contributions from folks across the AARoads Forum spectrum, many of whom will be in attendance for portions/all of the meet itself.

This presentation will be broadcast *live* on the 'roadwaywiz' YouTube channel on Saturday 6/17 at 6 PM ET. Whether you're on the fence about attending the meet, or are already looking forward to it, we hope that this will give you folks a good idea of what to expect and what to look for during your visit. We may also have some time for a *live* Q&A session regarding the meet itself if there is demand for it.

Lastly, during the opening of this program, I'll be taking the opportunity to reveal the host city & dates for the 2024 Meet I'll be putting together for you folks so if that bit of news appeals to you folks out there, we'll be taking care of that item of business during the show as well.

Link to YouTube Webinar:
Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

mariethefoxy

Quote from: roadman65 on June 05, 2023, 11:16:33 AM

Also does anyone know if NY 17 A is a N-S or E-W route? It seems to lack directional banners on shields.

Edit:
Found some on NY 210.
Never mind.

That traffic light is quite old and doesn't work, even during the Renaissance Faire.

SignBridge

As per the MUTCD, if the signal is not in service, it must be bagged or otherwise made invisible to approaching traffic. Dark signals are not permitted except on HAWK style signals.

Alps

Quote from: mariethefoxy on June 13, 2023, 05:28:06 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on June 05, 2023, 11:16:33 AM

Edit:
Found some on NY 210.
Never mind.

That traffic light is quite old and doesn't work, even during the Renaissance Faire.
I remember when it did! :(

Alps

Quote from: SignBridge on June 13, 2023, 07:51:09 PM
As per the MUTCD, if the signal is not in service, it must be bagged or otherwise made invisible to approaching traffic. Dark signals are not permitted except on HAWK style signals.
reason #3338 why HAWK signals are stupid and should be abolished

SignBridge

Quote from: Alps on June 13, 2023, 08:48:42 PM

I agree with you 100% Alps. Consistency should be the rule in this game and it usually is. That's what the Manual is all about. Ya' Gotta wonder what the heck they were thinkin' at FHWA when they came up with the HAWK concept.

kalvado

Quote from: SignBridge on June 13, 2023, 09:09:09 PM
Quote from: Alps on June 13, 2023, 08:48:42 PM

I agree with you 100% Alps. Consistency should be the rule in this game and it usually is. That's what the Manual is all about. Ya' Gotta wonder what the heck they were thinkin' at FHWA when they came up with the HAWK concept.
Thinking? You expect something wrong from an organization with the name starting with F

Roadgeek Adam

I like the HAWK signals in New York I've seen so far.

*ducks*
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

baugh17

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on June 14, 2023, 08:55:47 PM
I like the HAWK signals in New York I've seen so far.

*ducks*

Are there any HAWKs outside of the Buffalo area?

SignBridge

I haven't seen any on Long Island yet. Are the ones in the Buffalo area erected by NYS DOT or a local traffic agency?

Rothman

Don't know if there are any in Central NY, but there certainly won't be any more than there are.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: SignBridge on June 14, 2023, 10:29:50 PM
I haven't seen any on Long Island yet. Are the ones in the Buffalo area erected by NYS DOT or a local traffic agency?

All but one are on DOT-operated roads (NY 324, NY 5 have them; Kenmore is CR 307). Unless R5 installed more.
Adam Seth Moss

baugh17

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on June 15, 2023, 06:55:04 PM
All but one are on DOT-operated roads (NY 324, NY 5 have them; Kenmore is CR 307). Unless R5 installed more.

Is/are the one(s) on NY 5 new installs within the last year?  I drove it from Batavia to downtown Buffalo about this time last year and didn't recall seeing any.

Roadgeek Adam

No, the NY 5 ones have been there since pre-pandemic. Built in 2018.
Adam Seth Moss

mariethefoxy

There is one in Old Bethpage on Old Bethpage Rd by Trail View State Park (the former Bethpage parkway ROW)

SignBridge

Quote from: mariethefoxy on June 20, 2023, 09:22:49 AM

There is one in Old Bethpage on Old Bethpage Rd by Trail View State Park (the former Bethpage parkway ROW)

No kidding?! Thanks; I will check it out.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.