News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crispy93

Quote from: Mr. Matté on August 21, 2023, 06:19:41 PM
Having driven all of US 11 through Syracuse last month, at least where the random turns are (Raynor Avenue, Salina Street, Wolf Street) and some of the other state highway intersections, the route is signed. Per NYSDOT GIS data I downloaded last year, it's all city-maintained.

The city did put up the relatively-neat-for-NY signal street sign blades with route shields at NY 173 though:

I noticed 1-2 of these last weekend on US 6 in Brewster: https://goo.gl/maps/nGL6VhYKo26BXt1d7
There's also one on NY-376 in Wappinger/Hopewell at Lake Walton Rd though I think the sign for 376 says "NY 376" instead of the 376 shield
Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

RobbieL2415

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 07, 2023, 11:11:04 AM
When did the Shenandoah Service Area close? I assume it was a gas station-only service area.
1999, maybe?

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: D-Dey65 on September 07, 2023, 07:02:04 AM
I see a large cluster of spotlight trailers gathered around the former Shenandoah Service Area on the Taconic State Parkway.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5467322,-73.7747536,3a,75y,1.63h,95.48t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFiBnJzmn149A4_km3FP1-w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en&entry=ttu
NYSDOT Region 8 isn't planning to demolish the remains of the place, are they?

I think that's just for the resurfacing they've been doing in that area.

kalvado

Quote from: kalvado on July 12, 2023, 05:10:24 PM
Not totally a road project, but there was a minor glitch with replacement project for rail trail bridge over NY85.
Bridge did sag a little bit while concrete deck was getting poured

A follow up: a preliminary engineering report says that whoever designed the bridge basically didn't realize girders are not straight but have a step "to mimic previous 3-span structure"
Nice to see that design firm also does consulting for NYSDOT...

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on September 07, 2023, 04:23:55 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 07, 2023, 11:11:04 AM
When did the Shenandoah Service Area close? I assume it was a gas station-only service area.
1999, maybe?

Tanks were removed in 2004.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Alps

Quote from: kalvado on September 08, 2023, 05:38:51 PM
Not totally a road project, but there was a minor glitch with replacement project for rail trail bridge over NY85.

A follow up: a preliminary engineering report says that whoever designed the bridge basically didn't realize girders are not straight but have a step "to mimic previous 3-span structure"

link

kalvado

Quote from: Alps on September 10, 2023, 02:12:46 AM

link
https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/albany-county-releases-report-rail-trail-bridge-18353527.php?IPID=Times-Union-Capital-Region-spotlight
Cannot make standalone scribd link to work.
Fun fact: this is not the first bridge collapse from the same designer:
https://www.dot.ny.gov/news/press-releases/2003/2003204

D-Dey65

Does anybody see this New York State Department of Public Works plaque at the Bellerose Long Island Rail Road station?

These also used to be located at various bridges over roads in New York State, including this one covered by Steve Alps on the former NY 113 in Quogue.

I've even seen them on NY 27 east of East Patchogue, Sometime around the turn of the millennium, most of them were removed.

Alps

Quote from: kalvado on September 10, 2023, 09:12:40 AM
Quote from: Alps on September 10, 2023, 02:12:46 AM

link
https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/albany-county-releases-report-rail-trail-bridge-18353527.php?IPID=Times-Union-Capital-Region-spotlight
Cannot make standalone scribd link to work.
Fun fact: this is not the first bridge collapse from the same designer:
https://www.dot.ny.gov/news/press-releases/2003/2003204

Me neither, but this suffices. Thank you.

seicer

Someone was remarking in a thread I came across (local newspaper) about how the old bridge was still in good condition. Could it have been raised on new abutments or the roadway lowered to provide the clearance needed? Could an "off the shelf" bridge from someplace like the Bridge Brothers saved taxpayers a lot of money versus trying to mimic the old design of the bridge? (Which really wasn't that special.)

kalvado

Quote from: seicer on September 11, 2023, 09:02:34 AM
Someone was remarking in a thread I came across (local newspaper) about how the old bridge was still in good condition. Could it have been raised on new abutments or the roadway lowered to provide the clearance needed? Could an "off the shelf" bridge from someplace like the Bridge Brothers saved taxpayers a lot of money versus trying to mimic the old design of the bridge? (Which really wasn't that special.)
It was an old railroad bridge, raising it would be difficult due to design I would imagine. A very narrow roadway under the bridge was a bigger problem.
Off the shelf bridge... One of stated goals I heard is that bridge should be passable for emergency vehicles.  Similarity....  Well, compare for yourself: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6296033,-73.8638858,3a,75y,250.6h,76.55t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxjW17LNx8Ndi35nlAmtzuA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

seicer

Ah - thanks for the GSV. It still makes me wonder if just lifting the old superstructure out of there, replacing the abutments, and raising the bridge would have been sufficient. It probably wouldn't have widened the roadway as the supports would need to be reinstalled in the same location.

kalvado

Quote from: seicer on September 11, 2023, 11:17:47 AM
Ah - thanks for the GSV. It still makes me wonder if just lifting the old superstructure out of there, replacing the abutments, and raising the bridge would have been sufficient. It probably wouldn't have widened the roadway as the supports would need to be reinstalled in the same location.
Pedestrian/bicycle access is a big thing these days, so some widening was probably a must.
On a personal level, that thing felt scary to drive under.  Dark and narrow...

Alps

Rather than mimic 3 spans of different heights, they could have done something like a trapezoid that wouldn't buckle.

kalvado

Quote from: Alps on September 11, 2023, 06:28:36 PM
Rather than mimic 3 spans of different heights, they could have done something like a trapezoid that wouldn't buckle.
I suspect this is the problem with engineers' perception of structural FEA. There was a pretty high profile (as in billions lost) similar case in Boeing 787 program.
And I am afraid even to think of how many things end up deep into their safety margins in similar scenarios.

Alps

Quote from: kalvado on September 11, 2023, 08:25:23 PM
I suspect this is the problem with engineers' perception of structural FEA. There was a pretty high profile (as in billions lost) similar case in Boeing 787 program.
And I am afraid even to think of how many things end up deep into their safety margins in similar scenarios.
Engineers are responsible for structural feasibility. The structural engineers should have been the ones to decide design.

D-Dey65

Does everybody here see these traffic signals?

That's Adirondack Drive at the north end with NY 25 in Selden. I took that picture in November 2021. The latest GSV view (October 2019) still has a stop sign there. So, the simple question is, when were they installed?

kalvado

Quote from: Alps on September 11, 2023, 09:12:05 PM
Engineers are responsible for structural feasibility. The structural engineers should have been the ones to decide design.
Well, the buck (I mean DA) stops at PE stamp on the design. Those working for the firm without PE doing actual FEA and design also didn't do well.
Overall, I am not going to apportion the responsibility - there is always many things to consider and multiple people to blame. But I hope you're not going to deny responsibility of design team?

SignBridge

Quote from: D-Dey65 on September 11, 2023, 11:10:43 PM
Does everybody here see these traffic signals?

That's Adirondack Drive at the north end with NY 25 in Selden. I took that picture in November 2021. The latest GSV view (October 2019) still has a stop sign there. So, the simple question is, when were they installed?

Well LOL, obviously sometime between Oct. 2019 and Nov. 2021. This is very typical example of NYSDOT Region-10's current installation practices. Long curving mast-arms in a diagonal-span configuration. Good to see all heads with 12-inch lenses. Mounting brackets that extend up above the signal heads giving a very sloppy appearance. And back plates that will probably break and fall off in a few years going by the history of recent NYSDOT installations. 

Roadgeek Adam

The back plates are flimsy as crap. The ones at US 20A and South Taylor Road in Orchard Park and US 62/NY 179 in Hamburg are already missing parts of their backplates.
Adam Seth Moss

Rothman

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on September 12, 2023, 11:33:46 AM
The back plates are flimsy as crap. The ones at US 20A and South Taylor Road in Orchard Park and US 62/NY 179 in Hamburg are already missing parts of their backplates.
And prices for signal replacements are skyrocketing due to material costs...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on September 12, 2023, 11:33:46 AM
The back plates are flimsy as crap.

Concur. I've seen more than a few that are broken or missing pieces despite being relatively new. 

Roadgeek Adam

The one at US 20A and South Taylor looks like the backplate was chewed by an alligator because one has an entire corner missing.
Adam Seth Moss

SignBridge

So how is it that in California and Illinois their backplates don't break and fall off?

The funny thing is that NYS DOT went through exactly this same circus thirty years ago on Long Island and all the backplates from back then are long gone. NYS DOT obviously didn't learn from the experience as now they seem to be re-inventing the wheel.

Alps

Quote from: kalvado on September 12, 2023, 08:14:54 AM
Quote from: Alps on September 11, 2023, 09:12:05 PM
Well, the buck (I mean DA) stops at PE stamp on the design. Those working for the firm without PE doing actual FEA and design also didn't do well.
Overall, I am not going to apportion the responsibility - there is always many things to consider and multiple people to blame. But I hope you're not going to deny responsibility of design team?

You are missing the fact that the design is done by engineers.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.