News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

What does a ban message look like?

Started by tolbs17, April 11, 2021, 11:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

This is a question I'm asking. I'm just curious

ozarkman417

I can think of one way you can know for sure what it looks like  :bigass:

tolbs17

Quote from: ozarkman417 on April 11, 2021, 11:47:37 PM
I know phpBB and vbulletin. Not SMF though

Scott5114

A Google Image Search produces the following:

So ours would look about the same. I believe if the admin has chosen to enter a reason for the ban it would be displayed as well.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kenarmy

I can show you what it looks like for the chat  :D.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

tolbs17

Quote from: kenarmy on April 12, 2021, 12:07:12 AM
I can show you what it looks like for the chat  :D.
What does it look like

kenarmy

I tried to put it here but it won't work : (  It's like the regular login page but right under "AJAX Chat" it says "User or IP is banned."
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

SectorZ

Quote from: tolbs17 on April 11, 2021, 11:50:07 PM
Quote from: ozarkman417 on April 11, 2021, 11:47:37 PM
I know phpBB and vbulletin. Not SMF though

From experience or just via internet searching? If by experience, then there's your problem.

hotdogPi

On one Minecraft server, I had some moderator powers. I intended to ban someone for 3 days, but it turned out to be 3 seconds. (Vanilla Minecraft doesn't give this option; if someone is banned, it has to manually be undone.)

Then there are the really short blocks on Wikipedia. If the admin blocks the wrong person by accident, it can be under a minute, but there was also a time (thought it was mentioned on either WP:STOCKS or WP:LAME, but it's not) where someone was blocked for 30 seconds intentionally.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

JoePCool14

Maybe today will be the day I find out.  :spin:

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Roadgeekteen

I've been banned once, it just says "sorry you have been banned" or something like that with a reason.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Ask Colonel Jack O'Neill the next time he comes back to whine about what NPR thinks about urban freeways. 

NE2

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 12, 2021, 10:31:00 AM
Ask Colonel Jack O'Neill the next time he comes back to whine about what NPR thinks about urban freeways. 
Alar, not Jack.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on April 12, 2021, 09:00:03 AM
Then there are the really short blocks on Wikipedia. If the admin blocks the wrong person by accident, it can be under a minute, but there was also a time (thought it was mentioned on either WP:STOCKS or WP:LAME, but it's not) where someone was blocked for 30 seconds intentionally.

A lot of times the short (less than a few hours) blocks are intended as a wake-up call/emergency stop: "Hey, stop what you're doing and pay attention to what people are saying on your talk page".

The few times I blocked people on Wikipedia, I would always block the sillier vandals for 37 hours, both as a reference to The Price is Right and 1 day, 13 hours is a weird enough time period that the ban probably expires while they're sleeping, meaning they're less likely to be hanging around waiting for the ban to end so they can start causing problems again.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

tolbs17

I think I like the phpBB one the best.

Roadgeekteen

I just remembered I've been banned twice lol.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SectorZ

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: NE2 on April 12, 2021, 02:27:00 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 12, 2021, 10:31:00 AM
Alar, not Jack.

Ah yes I seem to recall he didn't listen to Colonel O'Neill when he said not to follow him through the Stargate, the result was much more fitting.

interstatefan990

Quote from: kenarmy on April 12, 2021, 12:14:42 AM
I tried to put it here but it won't work : (  It's like the regular login page but right under "AJAX Chat" it says "User or IP is banned."

Can confirm this. The chat is more dangerous for newbies because it doesn't display who is a mod/admin and who isn't, unlike the main forum (learned that the hard way).  :spin:
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

US 89

Quote from: interstatefan990 on April 12, 2021, 11:33:23 PM

Can confirm this. The chat is more dangerous for newbies because it doesn't display who is a mod/admin and who isn't, unlike the main forum (learned that the hard way).  :spin:

Yes it does. Mod names show up in blue, admin names in red.

Roadgeekteen

I got banned from actions done on the chat...

Alps

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 12, 2021, 11:49:17 PM

I got banned from actions done on the chat...
Chat is different. You get kicked if you are annoying. The length of the kick depends on how many kicks it takes for you to learn. General best practice: contribute to the conversation at hand, don't constantly change topics, don't make fun of people you don't know.

interstatefan990

Quote from: US 89 on April 12, 2021, 11:39:56 PM

Yes it does. Mod names show up in blue, admin names in red.

And how exactly would a newbie know that?
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

tolbs17

Does this forum have a section of banned users like other forums like this one has?

SkyPesos

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 28, 2021, 10:22:05 PM
Does this forum have a section of banned users like other forums like this one has?
Probably a no, but for specific users, I know that ethanman62187 is banned.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.