News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 269

Started by Chris, July 19, 2009, 11:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparker

Quote from: froggie on July 31, 2019, 04:34:21 PM
^ Because MDOT and the state legislature put almost all their road construction money into their rural 4-lane program, is by and large against raising the gas tax to increase revenue, and is now increasingly broke as a result of both.

.....aka cognitive dissonance at the level of governance.  Common problem these days with the present state of polarization!

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on August 01, 2019, 01:52:06 PM
^^
I'm in Memphis for a couple of days, one of my routine trips to check up on my father.

Local TV is full of ads for the Mississippi GOP primaries coming up soon.   At least one candidate for Transportation Commissioner appears to be campaigning hard on the "no gas tax increase" front, to the extent that any of the candidates for any office are talking about proposals/positions.

The states wonder why their I-69 funds are missing.  I's funny to me that Mississippi has the shortest segment of I-69, much of which is already existing interstates or has been built, yet might be the last to finish or might be the reason I-69 has a continuity gap.

abqtraveler

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on August 10, 2020, 09:20:17 AM
Quote from: MikeTheActuary on August 01, 2019, 01:52:06 PM
^^
I'm in Memphis for a couple of days, one of my routine trips to check up on my father.

Local TV is full of ads for the Mississippi GOP primaries coming up soon.   At least one candidate for Transportation Commissioner appears to be campaigning hard on the "no gas tax increase" front, to the extent that any of the candidates for any office are talking about proposals/positions.

The states wonder why their I-69 funds are missing.  I's funny to me that Mississippi has the shortest segment of I-69, much of which is already existing interstates or has been built, yet might be the last to finish or might be the reason I-69 has a continuity gap.

When you see candidates running on an anti-tax platform, it's clear there is no appetite in Mississippi to find ways to raise funds for better roads. I recall about 10 years ago, there was a discussion about financing the remainder of I-69 through Mississippi with tolls. A concept to toll I-69 from where it currently ends to the Great River Bridge never gained traction with state lawmakers. With the area through which I-69 would go being sparsely populated, there probably wouldn't be enough traffic for a toll road to break even.

While I'm not a fan of paying more in taxes, I would accept higher taxes IF they are dedicated to building and maintaining better roads and infrastructure.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Alex

Finally rode on Interstate 269 last week and was surprised to see a new interchange already under construction just east of the exchange with I-55/69.

McIngvale interchange, improvements showing progress

QuoteThere are several ongoing road projects underway in Hernando that will provide the city a second entrance off the interstate road system, alleviate some traffic congestion along Commerce Street, and also offer new walking and cycling opportunities for the DeSoto County seat.

Top among the list is the McIngvale Road interchange into the city from I-269. Construction on the interchange has begun with the clearing of vegetation and earthwork being done on the south side of I-269, while clearing is also being done on the north side of the interstate.

The nearly $8 million project is being done by Tanner Construction Company and is expected to be done by next spring.

Hernando Mayor Tom Ferguson stakes the interchange's construction as another boost to economic growth for the city as he also hopes it will help reduce traffic congestion at the I-55/Commerce Street interchange, currently the only interstate entrance into the city.

QuoteAs the McIngvale Road interchange provides new freeway access and egress from Hernando, city officials are also excited about the McIngvale Road realignment project. McIngvale had to be realigned to meet up with the new interchange and the necessity of that allows for a redesign of the roadway. It will run behind Hernando Hills Elementary School and will be a five-lane roadway. It costs $8.7 million and is 1.4 miles in length from north of Byhalia Road to the north of Green T Road.

Tomahawkin

Nice, I hope there are plans to add a truck stop or 2 would be real convenient. Having to stop for gas off SR 302 in Southaven is a pain because of the traffic

I-55

Quote from: Tomahawkin on September 14, 2020, 12:22:35 PM
Nice, I hope there are plans to add a truck stop or 2 would be real convenient. Having to stop for gas off SR 302 in Southaven is a pain because of the traffic

The only gas station on the current route is a Shell at US-64 (Exit 15). I would imagine that if there was development of truck stops it'd be at either US-64 or MS-302
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

The Ghostbuster

Why wasn't an interchange included at McIngvale Rd. when Interstate 269 was first constructed? Was it considered to be too close to the Interstate 55/69/269 interchange?

sprjus4

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 14, 2020, 06:51:35 PM
Why wasn't an interchange included at McIngvale Rd. when Interstate 269 was first constructed? Was it considered to be too close to the Interstate 55/69/269 interchange?
Likely budget. McIngvale is 5 lanes on its overpass, there were clearly plans to eventually construct it.

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: sprjus4 on September 14, 2020, 08:19:33 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 14, 2020, 06:51:35 PM
Likely budget. McIngvale is 5 lanes on its overpass, there were clearly plans to eventually construct it.

It's further back in the thread, but his interchange came up while 269 was under construction.

Tomahawkin

Visited 269 on Saturday. Noticed there was development (A warehouse or two??) on the east side of the 55/269 interchange, as well at the next interchange as someone mentioned last summer on the adjacent exit on 269 a mile from 55. I hope this is the spot where a few truck stops and restaurants are planned. Stopping in Southaven is hell because of backwards urban planning 20 years ago. A Buc'ees on that stretch of 269 would be nice, plus it would bring jobs to the area

sparker

Quote from: Tomahawkin on December 28, 2020, 09:43:19 PM
Visited 269 on Saturday. Noticed there was development (A warehouse or two??) on the east side of the 55/269 interchange, as well at the next interchange as someone mentioned last summer on the adjacent exit on 269 a mile from 55. I hope this is the spot where a few truck stops and restaurants are planned. Stopping in Southaven is hell because of backwards urban planning 20 years ago. A Buc'ees on that stretch of 269 would be nice, plus it would bring jobs to the area

Question:  has MS erected any I-22 trailblazer signage at the 55/69/269 interchange?  If not, it would seem that they have joined their neighbor AL in all but ignoring the Memphis-Birmingham Interstate.  And after all that money spent in the two states on that freeway.  Doesn't make a lot of sense!

Bobby5280

Yes, I-22 is signed at the I-269 interchange, both on overhead signs and on ground mounted reassurance post signs.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

codyg1985

Quote from: sparker on December 29, 2020, 05:16:57 AM

Question:  has MS erected any I-22 trailblazer signage at the 55/69/269 interchange?  If not, it would seem that they have joined their neighbor AL in all but ignoring the Memphis-Birmingham Interstate.  And after all that money spent in the two states on that freeway.  Doesn't make a lot of sense!

I believe you are referring to I-22 shields at the I-55 interchange, not at the actual I-22 interchange. To my knowledge, there aren't any such trailblazers along I-55 indicating the existence of I-22.

For what it is worth, there is a ground-mounted sign along NB I-55 saying "TO EAST I-40 Nashville" south of I-269.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

sparker

Quote from: codyg1985 on December 29, 2020, 04:45:40 PM
Quote from: sparker on December 29, 2020, 05:16:57 AM

I believe you are referring to I-22 shields at the I-55 interchange, not at the actual I-22 interchange. To my knowledge, there aren't any such trailblazers along I-55 indicating the existence of I-22.

For what it is worth, there is a ground-mounted sign along NB I-55 saying "TO EAST I-40 Nashville" south of I-269.

Wow!  They "trailblaze" an Interstate that doesn't even enter their state, but ignore one that does!  What is obviously needed is an equivalent sign both NB and SB on I-55 saying "TO EAST I-22 Birmingham and/or Tupelo".  Someone should give MSDOT a bit of a hint!

silverback1065

is there a reason why 22 wasn't routed to tie into tenn 385/269 interchange then have 22 use 385 to end at 240?

abqtraveler

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 29, 2020, 06:14:34 PM
is there a reason why 22 wasn't routed to tie into tenn 385/269 interchange then have 22 use 385 to end at 240?

The section of TN-385 between I-240 and I-269 is not up to interstate standards, and would require a lot of work to get it to interstate-grade. Tennessee is currently working to upgrade Lamar Avenue (the last non-freeway section of US-78) between the Mississippi state line and I-240. We may see I-22 eventually extended from its current terminus to I-240 via US-78.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

silverback1065

Quote from: abqtraveler on December 29, 2020, 06:35:09 PM

The section of TN-385 between I-240 and I-269 is not up to interstate standards, and would require a lot of work to get it to interstate-grade. Tennessee is currently working to upgrade Lamar Avenue (the last non-freeway section of US-78) between the Mississippi state line and I-240. We may see I-22 eventually extended from its current terminus to I-240 via US-78.

wouldn't upgrading 385 be cheaper than 78?

Tomahawkin

Any news on the northern arc of 269? For selfish reasons, i Would love to see it wrap around to IH 55 In NEA, But that is a pipedream because of having to build a bridge over the Mississippi

sparker

In reality, TN's political structure has never been particularly interested in I-22 -- possibly since it functionally serves its least favorite metro area, Memphis -- and the few TN miles there would be for any alignment option don't hold much promise in the way of revenue.  In fact, early (pre-2002) attempts to get an Interstate designation for the corridor fell victim to an intraparty "feud" between then-Sens. Bill Frist (R-TN) and Trent Lott (R-MS); but since then all activities toward that end -- and the ensuing completion of I-22 -- have come from MS and AL.  Even though Frist is no longer a factor, there remains negligible interest in the I-22 corridor within TN circles, official or de facto

codyg1985

Quote from: abqtraveler on December 29, 2020, 06:35:09 PM

The Lamar Ave upgrade isn't to bring it up to interstate standards. It is to add a few interchanges at major roads and add an additional lane in each direction, but there aren't any plans for TDOT to upgrade Lamar Ave to an interstate-quality freeway to extend I-22 onto.

Here is the official TDOT website about the project.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Bobby5280

It's ridiculous they hadn't upgraded Lamar Avenue/US-78 up to Interstate standards between the MS state line and I-240 years ago. There is a lot of traffic on that route, particularly heavy trucks. The route is as easy to justify upgrading to Interstate standards as just about any other corridor in need in the nation.

Aside from budgetary concerns, the only other current excuse I can see for not extending I-22 to I-240 is the traffic bottleneck at the I-55 Mississippi River bridge and Crump Blvd interchange. That zone just flat out sucks. At least there are plans to replace the Crump Blvd interchange with a far more efficient design for thru I-55 traffic. Unfortunately that old, skinny 4-lane bridge over the Mississippi needs to be replaced. Even the I-40 bridge nearby doesn't live up to current Interstate standards (no shoulders). As long as the existing Mississippi River bridges remain as is that will give TDOT plenty of reason to go slow with US-78/I-22 upgrades along Lamar Avenue.

At the very least the City of Memphis and TDOT need to have a strict, long-range plan that involves turning that corridor into a 6-lane or 8-lane freeway, even if it has to be done in an incremental, piece-meal fashion. They at least need to zone things where nothing new can be built within so many feet of the US-78 centerline.

The new interchanges at Holmes Road, Shelby Drive and Winchester Road (and improvements to existing interchanges at Raines, Perkins and Getwell Roads) will be a good start. That will at least open the door for additional Interstate quality improvements between interchanges from the state line up to Getwell Road. That would leave a final gap of about 2 miles between Getwell Road and I-240. None of the commercial and industrial properties along that stretch are nice looking at all. TDOT would have options to build that last stretch as an elevated highway over the top of the US-78 surface street. Or they could buy up old and dilapidated properties to just to build a traditional widening project the rest of the way.

US71

Quote from: Bobby5280 on December 29, 2020, 09:20:18 PM
It's ridiculous they hadn't upgraded Lamar Avenue/US-78 up to Interstate standards between the MS state line and I-240 years ago. There is a lot of traffic on that route, particular heavy trucks. The route is as easy to justify upgrading to Interstate standards as just about any other corridor in need in the nation.

Hindsight is always 20/20

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Bobby5280

Yeah, hindsight is 20/20. But the traffic issues on the US-78 corridor in that area are not going to disappear. Over time the issues may only get worse, even with three signaled intersections being replaced with limited access exits. Vehicle counts will still increase. Driveways coming out of industrial shops and other businesses will pose more of a hazard due to vehicles turning out of those businesses directly onto the main lanes of the highway. It does look like some of the intersection conversions will remove at least some of the driveways. Over time TDOT will be forced to do more and more improvements on this road until it is a full blown freeway (at least up to Getwell Road).

Brooks

Quote from: Bobby5280 on December 29, 2020, 11:26:47 PM
Yeah, hindsight is 20/20. But the traffic issues on the US-78 corridor in that area are not going to disappear. Over time the issues may only get worse, even with three signaled intersections being replaced with limited access exits. Vehicle counts will still increase. Driveways coming out of industrial shops and other businesses will pose more of a hazard due to vehicles turning out of those businesses directly onto the main lanes of the highway. It does look like some of the intersection conversions will remove at least some of the driveways. Over time TDOT will be forced to do more and more improvements on this road until it is a full blown freeway (at least up to Getwell Road).
Spot on. The deficiencies of the Lamar corridor are not going to go away, and the truck traffic is only going to increase. Blighted/vacant properties (yes, there are plenty) are slowly being purchased and filled in. The area will always be prime real estate for warehouses and distribution centers because of its proximity to the airport and FedEx. TDOT can (and probably will) keep kicking the can down the road but they need to realize it's better to get it done sooner rather than later, as costs will inevitably increase. It would pay to invest in Memphis for once.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.