News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Most absurd VMS messages

Started by Pete from Boston, July 10, 2015, 12:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidS1045

The Freetown MA police department put this up a few days ago on the sign outside their station house:

HE SEES YOU WHEN YOU'RE SPEEDING
HE KNOWS WHEN YOU DON'T BRAKE
HE KNOWS IF YOU'VE HAD A FEW
SO DON'T GO OVER .08
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

MASTERNC

Texas had one that capitalized on the Mandalorian "Baby Yoda"

BABY YODA USES
A CAR SEAT
BE SAFE HE WILL

kphoger

Quote from: wanderer2575 on December 25, 2019, 10:32:59 AM
All over the Toledo area last night (I went out for a few-hours-long late Christmas Eve drive)...

STAY TO THE RIGHT
SANTA NEEDS THE
LEFT LANE TONIGHT

... which would seem to contradict everything we've always been told about speed limits.

And about Santa, too.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jeffandnicole

All over the Toledo area last night (I went out for a few-hours-long late Christmas Eve drive)...

STAY TO THE RIGHT
SANTA NEEDS THE
LEFT LANE TONIGHT

... which would seem to contradict everything we've always been told about speed limits.

Nothing was mentioned about speed. Everything was mentioned about keeping to the right. Unfortunately, people want to read into these things way more than they need to, and the intended message is lost.

stevashe

WSDOT recently made a blog about the more "creative" messages they've been trying out in the Spokane area, including such gems as "Feast your eyes on the road, not your phone" and "You're not Rudolph, don't drive lit!" It even mentions the Ghostbusters message from a few posts ago - the DOTs must be sharing that one between themselves! Anyway, it's an interesting read if you want to know a bit about how they come up with these silly messages, and the reasoning for using them:

https://wsdotblog.blogspot.com/2019/12/spokane-message-boards-get-lit-for-holidays.html

roadman

Spotted yesterday on I-93 north in Somerville:

IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE

DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jbnv

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Tonytone

In Delaware over the holiday.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

jeffandnicole

kphoger

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 27, 2019, 08:43:34 PM

STAY TO THE RIGHT
SANTA NEEDS THE
LEFT LANE TONIGHT

Nothing was mentioned about speed. Everything was mentioned about keeping to the right. Unfortunately, people want to read into these things way more than they need to, and the intended message is lost.

If it's not about speed, then why else would Santa need one specific lane?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MASTERNC

Delaware picked up on the Baby Yoda craze as well, even taking a page from the Texas message.  Consider these two VMS messages today on I-95

BABY YODA USES THE FORCE
BUT STILL NEEDS A CAR SEAT

BABY YODA USES A CAR SEAT
BUCKLE UP HE WILL

Richard3

Quote from: kphoger on January 02, 2020, 02:07:04 PM

STAY TO THE RIGHT
SANTA NEEDS THE
LEFT LANE TONIGHT

If it's not about speed, then why else would Santa need one specific lane?

Euhhh... what?  His sleigh is not flying anymore?
- How many people are working in here?
- About 20%.

- What Quebec highways and Montreal Canadiens have in common?
- Rebuilding.

States/provinces/territories I didn't went in: AB, AK, AL, BC, HI, KS, LA, MB, MN, MS, MT, ND, NL, NT, NU, RI, SD, SK, WA, WI, YT.  Well, I still have some job to do!

wanderer2575

STAY TO THE RIGHT
SANTA NEEDS THE
LEFT LANE TONIGHT

When it says upfront that he NEEDS the left lane, it implies he intends to pass everyone regardless of speed.  Crissake, get a grip, willya?  It was a lighthearted remark about a lighthearted message.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: SidS1045 on December 26, 2019, 03:25:46 PM
The Freetown MA police department put this up a few days ago on the sign outside their station house:

HE SEES YOU WHEN YOU'RE SPEEDING
HE KNOWS WHEN YOU DON'T BRAKE
HE KNOWS IF YOU'VE HAD A FEW
SO DON'T GO OVER .08
The last line means nothing anymore.  You can get arrested for DUI with literally a 0.0 BAC because the officer believes you're impaired.

jbnv

It's game day. There are flood warnings in the Baton Rouge area. LSU has canceled classes.

This is the message DOTD has on the digital sign on I-12 at Juban:

OBEY THE SIGN OR PAY THE FINE

This is nanny state crap.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

1995hoo

Very strange thing to see on a sign on the new US-301 toll road in Delaware, of all places:

https://goo.gl/maps/aVHdmZcSioutfUg56
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Big John

roadman

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 26, 2020, 12:56:02 PM
Very strange thing to see on a sign on the new US-301 toll road in Delaware, of all places:

https://goo.gl/maps/aVHdmZcSioutfUg56

WTF?  Unless the Mackenzie Brothers hacked the sign controller.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

webny99

New York's are saying:

STAY HOME
SAVE LIVES

Go back in time two weeks and try to imagine that.
Truly unbelievable.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: webny99 on March 17, 2020, 02:05:53 PM
New York's are saying:

STAY HOME
SAVE LIVES

Truly unbelievable.
Should really say

SOCIAL DISTANCING
SAVES LIVES

as merely being on the road, out of contact with other people doesn't spread the virus.

webny99

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on March 17, 2020, 11:33:27 PM
New York's are saying:

STAY HOME
SAVE LIVES

Truly unbelievable.
Should really say

SOCIAL DISTANCING
SAVES LIVES

as merely being on the road, out of contact with other people doesn't spread the virus.

From the perspective of the average person, if you're on the road, you're coming from or going to a place that isn't home. And therefore, inevitably coming into contact with additional people than you would at home. I can think of a few exceptions to that, but not many. Us roadgeeks are the only ones that would go for a drive just for the joy of being on the road.

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on March 18, 2020, 02:29:24 PM
From the perspective of the average person, if you're on the road, you're coming from or going to a place that isn't home. And therefore, inevitably coming into contact with additional people than you would at home. I can think of a few exceptions to that, but not many. UsWe roadgeeks are the only ones that would go for a drive just for the joy of being on the road.

That final sentence is a further example of how times have changed over our lifetimes. I'm sure I'm not the only person here who remembers when it was fairly common for families to go for a "Sunday drive" in the afternoon. Often my dad didn't have anywhere in particular in mind before we headed out, but we'd all get in the car. We didn't necessarily wind up stopping anywhere, either.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 19, 2020, 08:14:13 AM
Quote from: webny99 on March 18, 2020, 02:29:24 PM
From the perspective of the average person, if you're on the road, you're coming from or going to a place that isn't home. And therefore, inevitably coming into contact with additional people than you would at home. I can think of a few exceptions to that, but not many. UsWe roadgeeks are the only ones that would go for a drive just for the joy of being on the road.
That final sentence is a further example of how times have changed over our lifetimes. I'm sure I'm not the only person here who remembers when it was fairly common for families to go for a "Sunday drive" in the afternoon. Often my dad didn't have anywhere in particular in mind before we headed out, but we'd all get in the car. We didn't necessarily wind up stopping anywhere, either.

Certainly, people still do it, and it's more of a rural/small town thing, as I can relate to having a parent that came from a very rural area. But you are right that it does seem to be decreasing over time.

MCRoads

We are under a blizzard warning as well as dealing with COVID-19, so CDOT probably has signs that say:

I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

JoePCool14

New York's are saying:

STAY HOME
SAVE LIVES

Truly unbelievable.

Driving through SC and NC, all VMSs say Stay Home for COVID-19. South Carolina even rolled out several temporary ones along I-26.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.