Long routes that enter every single County Seat in a state

Started by roadman65, June 16, 2020, 04:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

US 1 in Georgia, is quite unique in a sense that all 8 counties it travels through it serves all of their seats of government.

Though south of Georgia in Florida the same US route misses 2 of the seats of counties it transits, but does go through 8 consecutive County Seats from Monroe to Brevard though that equals the total counties US 1 enters in the Peach State.

US 90 misses Nassau County's seat, but in Florida it makes it through 14 consecutive seats before Nassau breaks it's streak.

Can anyone find a long distance route either US or MSR. or interstate that accomplishes this in a single state?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

US 101 in California came to mind but actually missed Hollister in San Benito County.  I-5 doesn't hit all the County Seats either.  US 395 doesn't reach San Bernardino anymore and would be a hit. 

Flint1979

I-94 does hitting St. Joseph, Paw Paw, Kalamazoo, Marshall, Jackson, Ann Arbor, Detroit, Mount Clemens and Port Huron.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

bassoon1986

I-12 is about the best I can do for Louisiana. Hits all 4 out of 4. A lot of the other major routes have one parish somewhere with a smaller parish seat or one that is off the beaten path (Bossier, Allen, St. Martin)

iPhone

webny99

I don't think you really mean "every single County Seat in a state." With the exception of Delaware, it's very rare for a route to pass through every county within a state.

NY 31 goes on a run, hitting the first 4 county seats: Lockport (Niagara), Albion (Orleans), Rochester (Monroe), and Lyons (Wayne), but the streak ends at Cayuga County.

formulanone

I understand the thread, but I guess wording it "Long Routes That Enter Every Possible In County Seat Within Its State" is also ambiguous. Either that, or some interesting road trips are planned (after all, there's many county collectors who only record the county seats as a "hit").

US 43 hits 9 straight counties in Alabama, then a tenth for Mobile; only missing tiny Chatom in Washington County. It also lines up with two county seats in Tennessee: Lawrenceburg and Columbia, before ending at the latter city.

zzcarp

It seems like there's a lot of near misses in Colorado. Two that seem to meet the standard are as follows:

US 550: Durango in La Plata County, Silverton in San Juan County, Ouray in Ouray County, Durango in Durango County

US 85 including its unsigned multiplex with I-25: Trinidad in Las Animas County, Walsenburg in Huerfano County, Pueblo in Pueblo County, Colorado Springs in El Paso County, Castle Rock in Douglas County, Littleton in Arapahoe County, Denver in Denver County, Brighton in Adams County, and Greeley in Weld County.
So many miles and so many roads

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on June 16, 2020, 10:29:08 PM
I don't think you really mean "every single County Seat in a state." With the exception of Delaware, it's very rare for a route to pass through every county within a state.

"Long routes that enter the seat of every county through which they pass in a given state." Not sure whether the forum software would allow that!

If Virginia's independent cities count for purposes of this thread, and if business routes count for situations where the US Route has been put on a bypass (such that it "serves" the county seat even if it may not technically "enter" it), then US-13 in Virginia would qualify. It passes through the Cities of Suffolk, Chesapeake, Norfolk, and Virginia Beach, then crosses the Bridge-Tunnel and passes through Northampton County (serving Eastville via a business route) and Accomack County (likewise serving Accomac via a business route).

I feel like business routes are consistent with the concept behind the thread even if maybe they don't strictly comply with everyone's definition.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

mrsman

It's a surprise that there aren't more.

Historically, the "National Road" a forerunner of US 40, passed through state capitals along the western portion of its route.  Vandalia (old capital of IL), Indianapolis, Columbus.  It did this by design.

You would think that there would be more roads that connect segments of county seats, as in many rural areas the county seats are the only towns of significant size.

Some of the historic routings I think maybe approximated this a little more.  I know that a very old alignment of US 99 hit Visalia, CA the county seat of Tulare County - but more modern alignments were far straighter between Bakersfield and Fresno and bypass Visalia significantly.

NWI_Irish96

None of Indiana's interstates hit the county seat of every county they enter.
The only US highway that does is US 27, through 6 counties.
US 50 used to be a longer one that did this but now routes around Washington.
The longest state highway that does this is IN 15, through 4 counties.
IN 9 comes very close, hitting the county seat in 8 of 9 counties but ending just short of Columbus
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 17, 2020, 07:40:43 AM

"Long routes that enter the seat of every county through which they pass in a given state." Not sure whether the forum software would allow that!

"Long Routes That Enter Every County Seat" probably would have been sufficient. In the absence of a short, precise title, details can always be clarified in the original post.

hotdogPi

Quote from: webny99 on June 17, 2020, 09:57:32 AM

"Long Routes That Enter Every County Seat" probably would have been sufficient. In the absence of a short, precise title, details can always be clarified in the original post.

Then e.g. US 1 would have to qualify for every state to count, not just one state.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

webny99

Quote from: 1 on June 17, 2020, 10:02:21 AM
Quote from: webny99 on June 17, 2020, 09:57:32 AM

Then e.g. US 1 would have to qualify for every state to count, not just one state.

So you can just clarify it in the OP. You're probably going to be doing that anyways, regardless of how concise or clumsy the title is.

IMO the shorter the better when it comes to thread titles.

kphoger

I found a run of 15 counties, unless I missed something.

US-281, starting at the South Dakota state line
Boyd County, NE – misses Butte
O'Neill, Holt County, NE
Bartlett (barely), Wheeler County, NE
Greeley (barely), Greeley County, NE
St Paul (barely), Howard County, NE
Grand Island, Hall County, NE
Hastings, Adams County, NE
Red Cloud, Webster County, NE
Smith Center, Smith County, KS
Osborne, Osborne County, KS
Russell, Russell County, KS
Great Bend, Barton County, KS
St John (barely), Stafford County, KS
Pratt, Pratt County, KS
Medicine Lodge, Barber County, KS
Alva, Woods County, OK
Major County, OK – misses Fairview
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jp the roadgeek

CT (and RI) doesn't have county seats, but as far as largest cities/namesakes. I-95 and US 1 hit the namesakes and largest cities in 3 of the 4 counties they enter: Fairfield (both the town and the largest city of Bridgeport), New Haven, and New London.  I-84 enters the traditional county seats and namesakes of Hartford and Tolland counties (Vernon/Rockville being the traditional seat).  US 6 enters 7 of the 8 counties of CT, but only enters the city of Hartford and the town of Windham (but bypasses the traditional county seat of Willimantic).   
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

hbelkins

US 60 is Kentucky's longest US route. It misses the county seats of Meade and Bullitt counties.

KY 80 is Kentucky's longest state route. It misses several county seats (Calloway, Casey, Knott and Floyd off the top of my head.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.