Seattle neighborhoods allowed to design custom crosswalk art

Started by jakeroot, September 14, 2015, 09:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: Revive 755 on October 09, 2019, 06:26:36 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on October 08, 2019, 11:09:16 PM
According to this news article (emphasis mine):

* Seattle received a similar letter [to Ames, Iowa] in 2015, but contends [that city] data from three years before and after crosswalks were painted have shown vastly-improved pedestrian safety at those intersections.

Has the data been independently checked?  What were all the 'before' conditions?

I'm doing some research on the matter as we speak, using GIS data. Doesn't seem as conclusive as SDOT would make it out to be, but there's not a lot of data to go off.

I'll post again once I've compiled more info.

UCFKnights

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 10, 2019, 10:21:36 AM
Quote from: UCFKnights on October 10, 2019, 09:58:46 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 09, 2019, 12:01:57 PM
Quote from: jamess on October 08, 2019, 05:40:43 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 08, 2019, 02:06:00 PM

I don't care for the one of the left, because compared to the other 3 mentioned above it lacks visibility.

Likewise, the crosswalk thru the middle of the intersection should be blue throughout the entire crosswalk. The star is fine.

Do the feds send sternly worded letters when a crosswalk is poorly visible because the lines have faded due to traffic?

It's odd to argue that the blue isn't visible enough when it's ok to have a crosswalk that trucks and plows have basically wiped out of existence

It's all about consistency at intersections like this.  Just like most intersections won't have crosswalks with different stripe patterns, an intersection that is unconventional should be consistent where possible.  80% of the crosswalk painted blue and 20% unpainted isn't consistent.

We can argue all day long about issues found at a small sample of intersections, but they shouldn't be compared to properly marked intersections.
But crosswalks already have several different designs. My understanding is locally a "standard" low-use crosswalk just gets two parallel lines. If visibility is a concern, they will use the stripe pattern instead. If its high traffic as well, you'll get both marking applications done on the same crosswalk, with the full ladder design. And I've seen them use these variations at the same intersection

Again, I'm referring to one location.  Yes, there's a difference.  Refer to engineering schools and studies for more info.  Or, refer to posts within these forums when people ask why there's different traffic lights at an intersection, different sized signs, etc.  Consistently is preferred.
Can you explain further or link me to something as I'm not understanding.

MUTCD seems to have at least 4 options for crosswalk markings, and the FAQ seems to allow a few more. And as I've said, I've seen them mixed and matched at the same intersection, that seems to be done all the time, so what do you mean by referring to one location?

Also they added a brick pattern to a major intersection that is 9 lanes across, including turn lanes, near me. They did a full setup of arrowboard/lane closures, and did it overnight hours only, I believe it took them 8 days, no closures of roads. When they repaint the normal white lines or replace the thermoplastic stripes, it doesn't take as long, but does involve lots of lane closures as well. Sometimes they just do it with cones or flaggers like others are saying here.

Scott5114

I wish that instead of doing the fake brick pattern for crosswalks they'd use real brick. It looks better and will actually stay there without needing to be reapplied. Of course, the brick needs to be kept fairly level to keep pedestrians from tripping over it. Which is why I suspect they use the fake stuff...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Tonytone

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 18, 2019, 01:25:00 AM
I wish that instead of doing the fake brick pattern for crosswalks they'd use real brick. It looks better and will actually stay there without needing to be reapplied. Of course, the brick needs to be kept fairly level to keep pedestrians from tripping over it. Which is why I suspect they use the fake stuff...
In my area "Northeast"  they use real brick for crosswalks & still install them. Shit we have cobblestone roads still, in some areas.

What I've noticed is newer areas will build newer buildings & decorate in a newer age. Older areas will upgrade what has to be upgraded & also change every so & so years. Which is a good & bad thing.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

jamess

Yes the issue is that with the freeze/thaw cycle, the bricks lift up and become a hazard no no longer ADA compliant.

In Boston, there are a few crosswalks where the crosswalk is asphalt while everything around it is brick.

https://goo.gl/maps/emFy3MvhSxk66MXn6

That keeps the ADA path even.

Scott5114

Quote from: jamess on October 18, 2019, 11:17:15 AM

Yes the issue is that with the freeze/thaw cycle, the bricks lift up and become a hazard no no longer ADA compliant.

In Boston, there are a few crosswalks where the crosswalk is asphalt while everything around it is brick.

Practical AND stylish. Love it!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jamess

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 21, 2019, 01:02:31 AM
Quote from: jamess on October 18, 2019, 11:17:15 AM

Practical AND stylish. Love it!

Its help up well too. Was finished in 2008, and a decade later looks great aside from one square where a utility company ripped it up and illegally replaced the pavers with  sphalt.

cjw2001

Bruce

jakeroot

Bruce

Quote from: jakeroot on June 16, 2020, 04:03:32 PM
Quote from: Bruce on June 12, 2020, 04:20:09 AM
A more extreme version:

Is this within the remaining 1.5-block stretch of the CHAZ/CHOP?

Yes, this is Pine Street between Nagle and 11th. SDOT has put up new barriers to allow for limited vehicle access (one-way loops) around the mural.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.