red LEDs on yield signs?

Started by johndoe, April 13, 2019, 01:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndoe

It seems a rule of thumb (be it legally true or not) to treat a flashing red light (signal?) as a stop condition.  MUTCD section 2a.07 https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009/part2/part2a.htm#section2A07  talks about illumination of signs.  Point 08a mentions white or red LEDs on yield signs.  Part 09 says "if flashed", so i assume agencies can choose either way.  Has anyone ever actually seen this?  I can't think of examples.  This came up related to the "failure to yield" at roundabouts, but I'd be interested to see other locations too.

DaBigE

We've had this debate around our office for a while, especially with the roundabout situation you reference. While no one has pulled the trigger on installation, I successfully lobbied for flashing white on a Yield sign, given the nearly ubiquitous meaning of a flashing red. Likewise, I have yet to see any installed in the field. Most agencies opt to install larger Yield signs, additional signs, or add flags instead.

While it would contradict the sign color coding system, given the spread of the flashing yellow arrow and its meaning, one could also potentially argue for the use of flashing yellow.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

formulanone

Here's one in Goodland, Florida...though not for a roundabout:

(I think it took me 7-8 shots to get the lights in the photo.)

Amtrakprod

They should have it flash white

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.