News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Flashing stop signs

Started by golden eagle, June 19, 2019, 06:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

I was driving through an industrial area in Richland, MS, and on both sides of the road going to and from my destination, were two stop signs at an intersection with flashing red lights lined up on the edges. They had what appeared to be solar panels on top of the signs. I've literally never seen these before. Is this common in other places?

ilpt4u

Probably better for "Traffic Control" ...

That said, I have seen them around IL. I would not call them common nor rare - just out there

thspfc

There's lots of these in Sun Prairie and DeForest WI. All were installed recently.

US 89

Quote from: ilpt4u on June 19, 2019, 06:28:01 PM
That said, I have seen them around IL. I would not call them common nor rare - just out there

I would say the same for Utah. Most of them tend to be in shopping center parking lots, though I’ve also seen them on the regular roads in cases where extra attention is desired. There are also a few yield signs scattered around with the same sort of thing.

MNHighwayMan

MnDOT has started using the flashing LEDs in the border for stop signs on major thoroughfares. Here's an example at the MN-95/47 intersection.

Big John

Also in Oconto and Ashwaubenon WI.

DandyDan

I've seen them on county roads in Worth County, Iowa and also the four-way stop in Ventura, Iowa. I may also have seen one at the four-way stop on US 18 in Britt, Iowa as well.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

D-Dey65

Volusia CR 3 at FL 40 in Barberville, Florida.

webny99

What about these, which have flashing yellow LED's in the border because there isn't a stop sign?

PHLBOS

In Charlton, MA; I saw one or two of those along Stafford St. last weekend.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

frankenroad

There's one not too far from my house.  What's interesting is that the road it's on is hilly and you can see the flashing stop sign, which is at the top of a hill, from the top of another hill about 1/2 mile away, long before you see the traffic light that sits at the bottom of a hill about half-way between the first hill and the second hill.  There is a warning sign for the traffic light at the top of the hill.

This GSV shows the area I am talking about, but you can't see the flashing stop in this picture (but you would see it IRL from this viewpoint), at the top of the second hill beyond the light.

Here's a close-up of the Stopsign.

What I also find interesting is that these GSVs were taken in the winter - you don't see those very often.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

kphoger

I've seen a YIELD sign bordered with flashing LEDs as well, although I can't for the life of me remember where now.  Has anyone else seen that?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JCinSummerfield

Ohio like to use them.  I don't think it's a bad idea.  It helps draw attention that there is a stop sign there.

DaBigE

Quote from: thspfc on June 19, 2019, 06:38:34 PM
There's lots of these in Sun Prairie and DeForest WI. All were installed recently.

School signs yes (one of which is nearly a complete waste of money the way it reads), stop signs no. I'm struggling to think of one stop sign in Sun Prairie with embedded LEDs (aka BlinkerSigns).

Quote from: kphoger on June 20, 2019, 02:16:58 PM
I've seen a YIELD sign bordered with flashing LEDs as well, although I can't for the life of me remember where now.  Has anyone else seen that?

Whole discussion about them: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=24849.msg2409885#msg2409885
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

thspfc

Quote from: DaBigE on June 20, 2019, 03:30:14 PM

School signs yes (one of which is nearly a complete waste of money the way it reads), stop signs no. I'm struggling to think of one stop sign in Sun Prairie with embedded LEDs
They are mostly on the west side of Sun Prairie, or out of the city proper. Several on Egre Road, Bird St, and St Albert Dr. There are probably more I'm not thinking of.

cl94

As mentioned upthread, Ohio has taken a liking to these, as well as flashing warning signs. In some cases, they replace grid-powered signs with classic flashing beacons. When I was through Ohio 2 weekends ago, most of the classic "BE PREPARED TO STOP WHEN FLASHING" signs with grid-powered beacons have been replaced by new "signal ahead" signs featuring the standard pictograph and a flashing outline.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

DaBigE

Quote from: thspfc on June 20, 2019, 04:15:04 PM
Quote from: DaBigE on June 20, 2019, 03:30:14 PM

School signs yes (one of which is nearly a complete waste of money the way it reads), stop signs no. I'm struggling to think of one stop sign in Sun Prairie with embedded LEDs
They are mostly on the west side of Sun Prairie, or out of the city proper. Several on Egre Road, Bird St, and St Albert Dr. There are probably more I'm not thinking of.

Just drove St Albert the Great Dr again on my way home. Not one stop sign has LEDs. I saw a total of 4 along Egre Rd (outside of the city) - two at its intersection with CTH C and two (of the ugliest/cheapest ones I've ever seen) at its intersection with Bird St.

Kulerage

I've seen some of these in North Carolina and Georgia.

roadfro

Nevada tends to use a solar-powered beacon on top of the stop sign, and not the LED option (LED use on signs is governed by 2009 MUTCD section 2A.07). The beacon is NDOT's standard, and most local agencies follow along with that.

One place I have seen LEDs in a stop sign is the Reno-Tahoe Airport. There are stop signs at the crosswalk connecting the main entrance to the parking garage, and they all have solar-powered flashing red LEDs.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

TEG24601

They added some on Whidbey Island, do deal with people not seeing the stop signs due to wide intersections.  They also added LED flashers around the outside of several caution signs.  They are a great idea, but the LEDs are far too bright (almost as bright as the new police light bars), and seem to me to need some sort of shielding to not cause issues at night.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

hbelkins

I'm curious if the LED-border signs are more effective, less effective, or close to the same, as using traditional flashing beacons.

One thing I've noticed is that the LED signs tend to be solar-panel powered, while the beacons are connected to power lines.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

DRMan

Maine uses white LEDs along the edges of these speed limit signs at the end of I-195, where the limit drops quickly from 60 to 30. You can't tell from the picture, but even during the day those LEDs were quite bright. I would assume that they are dimmed at night.

DaBigE

Quote from: hbelkins on June 27, 2019, 12:07:02 PM
I'm curious if the LED-border signs are more effective, less effective, or close to the same, as using traditional flashing beacons.

That's an interesting question, especially given the variety of LED signs on the market: corners only (which seem to be the most popular around here) or a solid LED border around the whole sign. My gut hypothesis is they'll have very similar results, since the message of the sign is not as critical when you have a flashing red light. I think the real difference would be with the comparison LED-enhanced signs other than Stop or Yield and traditional flashing beacons, as there would be a greater chance of LED enhanced signs overpowering the sign message.

Locally, I've seen a divide where WisDOT will use traditional flashing beacons, but locals (including counties) will use the LED corner/border-enhanced signs. Published policy does allow for the LED signs on the state system. I'm thinking the simplified maintenance/standard parts of a flashing beacon plays a role in that decision.

QuoteOne thing I've noticed is that the LED signs tend to be solar-panel powered, while the beacons are connected to power lines.

Incidentally, I have been seeing an increase in the use of solar powered beacons, at least for temporary installations: (was ultimately replaced by a roundabout), (will be replaced by a roundabout later this year)

RestrictOnTheHanger

When I was visiting Utah i saw a few stop signs with LED outlines.

I also saw various wildlife warning signs with white flashing LED outlines. TBH it did help with sign visibility at night. Very useful.

roadfro

Quote from: DaBigE on June 27, 2019, 01:42:56 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on June 27, 2019, 12:07:02 PM
One thing I've noticed is that the LED signs tend to be solar-panel powered, while the beacons are connected to power lines.

Incidentally, I have been seeing an increase in the use of solar powered beacons, at least for temporary installations: (was ultimately replaced by a roundabout), (will be replaced by a roundabout later this year)

Nevada DOT has been actively removed overhead beacons in favor of solar-powered beacons above the stop signs. (They've also gotten fairy aggressive in adding solar-powered beacons on rural stop signs along state highways, especially where a highway ends at a T intersection.) Many NDOT beacons attached to smaller signs, whether continuously operated or on as needed basis (e.g. chain control signs, etc.) are on solar power now.

EDIT: Fixed quoting.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.