News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Temporary Traffic Control

Started by Amtrakprod, August 22, 2019, 07:20:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amtrakprod

Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

jeffandnicole

Just a cheap setup not using controllers one would find in actual use for demo purposes.

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Amtrakprod

Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

TEG24601

Quote from: Amtrakprod on September 23, 2019, 03:08:33 PM

I wonder why WSDOT had to re-invent the wheel?  Other states use portable traffic signals for the same effect.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

DRMan

Quote from: TEG24601 on September 23, 2019, 05:50:33 PM
Quote from: Amtrakprod on September 23, 2019, 03:08:33 PM

I wonder why WSDOT had to re-invent the wheel?  Other states use portable traffic signals for the same effect.

Seems like a steady red light should be used here instead of a flashing light. But I agree that temporary traffic signals would be even more appropriate.

kphoger

flay-gger . . . hehehehe . . .
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadfro

Quote from: DRMan on September 23, 2019, 07:23:43 PM
Quote from: TEG24601 on September 23, 2019, 05:50:33 PM

Seems like a steady red light should be used here instead of a flashing light. But I agree that temporary traffic signals would be even more appropriate.

This device is what's mentioned in the MUTCD as a "STOP/SLOW Automated Flagger Assistance Device" (AFAD).

My thought is that a stop/slow AFAD is used in a situation where there is a one lane operation at day during work activities (like a minor resurfacing), but the road is returned to no restrictions after work hours. The setup seems to require a person to operate the sign, which, operationally, is no different than having the flagger standing there. In that case, this device is a quick setup for daytime work operations that is also easily removed by the flagger when work is done for the day. The MUTCD actually recommends the stop/slow AFAD not be used for long-term use.

In the case of major work (such as a major reconstruction), you would have a 24/7 lane closure. In that case, using the more complex setup of a traffic signal makes more sense.

As to the red light used on this device: In this context, a steady red light is not appropriate. The red light above is supplementing the stop sign, which makes it a beacon, and requires it to be a red flashing light when the stop sign is displayed.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadfro on September 24, 2019, 03:59:37 PM
The setup seems to require a person to operate the sign, which, operationally, is no different than having the flagger standing there.

About the only real difference is the flagger can be located far off the roadway, where it's safer.   And maybe motorists respect a sign and gate more than a person. 

US 89

As to the red light used on this device: In this context, a steady red light is not appropriate. The red light above is supplementing the stop sign, which makes it a beacon, and requires it to be a red flashing light when the stop sign is displayed.

In that case, I disagree with the MUTCD on this one because that stop sign isn't a normal stop sign. It's functionally equivalent to a red light on a temporary traffic signal, though I've never seen a temporary signal with a gate.

UCFKnights

But the thing is its not really a real stop sign, as the normal stop sign rules, as you are allowed to proceed after stopping as long as nobody is making a conflicting movement. With this sign, it doesn't matter if nobody is in the way, you aren't allowed to proceed.

I do like that device, but it feels like it should have 2 red lights that wig wag, just like a railroad crossing. Infact, ideally, the HAWK signal setup could be used (and removed from HAWK use). This seems much more appropriate, no green light as its very temporary, yellow to alert you gate is about to go down, wig wagging reds to stop all traffic.
Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 24, 2019, 04:25:56 PM
The setup seems to require a person to operate the sign, which, operationally, is no different than having the flagger standing there.

About the only real difference is the flagger can be located far off the roadway, where it's safer.   And maybe motorists respect a sign and gate more than a person. 
Also, I'm not familiar with these devices, but it would seem like you could reduce down to a single flagger, located in the middle of the work area, with a much better view of whats going on, instead of having 2 or 3 people at the entry points to the work areas, so flagger labor costs should go down by at least 50%

roadfro

Quote from: UCFKnights on September 25, 2019, 12:37:36 PM
But the thing is its not really a real stop sign, as the normal stop sign rules, as you are allowed to proceed after stopping as long as nobody is making a conflicting movement. With this sign, it doesn't matter if nobody is in the way, you aren't allowed to proceed.

I do like that device, but it feels like it should have 2 red lights that wig wag, just like a railroad crossing. Infact, ideally, the HAWK signal setup could be used (and removed from HAWK use). This seems much more appropriate, no green light as its very temporary, yellow to alert you gate is about to go down, wig wagging reds to stop all traffic.

It's just the same as if a flagger was holding the stop/slow paddle instead. You can't proceed until the flagger flips it to slow.

I do like the concept of using the HAWK-style beacons on this device, without a solid red period. Especially if the device has a gate arm.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 24, 2019, 04:25:56 PM

Also, I'm not familiar with these devices, but it would seem like you could reduce down to a single flagger, located in the middle of the work area, with a much better view of whats going on, instead of having 2 or 3 people at the entry points to the work areas, so flagger labor costs should go down by at least 50%

The MUTCD requires two flaggers to operate the AFADs in most cases. One flagger can operate both sides in cases where the flagger has unobstructed views of both AFADs and approaching traffic in both directions.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Scott5114

Or you can just use a standard RYG signal at either end and not have to worry about the MUTCD interpretation. Hell, even Oklahoma's figured this one out.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Revive 755

The video at the start of this thread would appear to be a version of the "driveway assistance device" currently under experimental use in multiple states.  https://static.tti.tamu.edu/tti.tamu.edu/documents/0-6708-1.pdf may be of interest.

roadfro

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 02, 2019, 05:39:21 AM
Or you can just use a standard RYG signal at either end and not have to worry about the MUTCD interpretation. Hell, even Oklahoma's figured this one out.
That works for a 24/7 closure. But if it's a daytime only application, a signal is more complex than necessary.

Scott5114

Quote from: roadfro on October 04, 2019, 12:39:58 AM
That works for a 24/7 closure. But if it's a daytime only application, a signal is more complex than necessary.

Not really–you can just set the signal to be green on both ends when no work is being done.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

stevashe

That is not equivalent to this though. The flaggers are manually controlling the signs/gates to determine when they switch, instead of a simple timed (or sensor-based) cycle like for a temporary traffic signal. This is needed for situations where the construction may block all lanes for a time and "STOP" must be shown for both directions. I have seen WSDOT use signals in locations where they are appropriate, which would be where the construction is contained in a specific location and would never block the open lane.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: stevashe on October 05, 2019, 03:30:07 PM
That is not equivalent to this though. The flaggers are manually controlling the signs/gates to determine when they switch, instead of a simple timed (or sensor-based) cycle like for a temporary traffic signal. This is needed for situations where the construction may block all lanes for a time and "STOP" must be shown for both directions. I have seen WSDOT use signals in locations where they are appropriate, which would be where the construction is contained in a specific location and would never block the open lane.

We have the technology to set both temporary signals to red. This electronic flagger thing is needlessly complex.

roadfro

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 05, 2019, 03:38:27 PM
We have the technology to set both temporary signals to red. This electronic flagger thing is needlessly complex.

The AFAD devices are appropriate to some applications, and temporary traffic signals appropriate to other applications.

If you're going to have a work zone closing the road down to one lane, and that closure is going to be during daytime 8-5 for five days, using an AFAD/flagger setup is much quicker and less complex than employing a temporary traffic signal. If that same closure is going to be for five weeks, it may be more beneficial and economical to use a temporary traffic signal than an AFAD/flagger setup.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.