News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Significant intersection modifications (past or present)

Started by jakeroot, September 10, 2019, 04:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: vdeane on September 21, 2019, 10:05:59 PM
Quite a few around the Rochester area.

NY 33A (Chili Avenue)/NY 386 (Chili Coldwater Road)/former NY 252A (Paul Road); Paul Road was realigned to break the intersection into two (original)

Northern end of NY 590/Sea Breeze Drive; the parking lot on the right with the cul de sac follows the old alignment (may be more of a realignment than something for this thread, though; the operation is largely the same, just moved)

Dewey Avenue/Driving Park Avenue; originally, both sections of Dewey met Driving Park at T intersections, but the city realigned the north end by demolishing a dollar store (it's recent enough the show up in historic street view)

NY 404 (Ridge Road)/Hard Road/Shoecraft Road is actually hard to tell it was another way, because of all the development (original/under construction)

This is a particularly interesting intersection to me. Operationally, having a four-way intersection makes a lot more sense (although there are exceptions, such as my second post in this thread). But the amount of developable land around that intersection has really been diminished by that new road. Maybe a gas station could squeeze in on the NW corner, and with that slip lane (strange angle on that slip lane, btw), I don't think anything could go in the NE corner. For all I know, the last thing this area needs is more undeveloped land, although my instinct would be to minimize ROW usage in urban areas.

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jakeroot

Quote from: vdeane on September 22, 2019, 08:27:16 PM
It seems like it's a project that was a long time coming.  I wonder why the roads were set up that way?
https://spectrumlocalnews.com/tx/austin/top-stories/2017/07/5/dewey-avenue-and-driving-park
https://www.cityofrochester.gov/article.aspx?id=8589971291

There was some similar reconstruction in my area, although it involved building an entirely new road. A large strip mall, which originally ran north-south for about six solid blocks with only one stopping point (where the new road runs), was broken up about six years ago by a new arterial. They had to demolish a bank to build the road, but the new road did provide new opportunities for commercial development to the east. The road configuration shown in your link probably improved traffic flow, although any chance of redevelopment at this corner seems pretty-well unlikely at this point.

jbnv

Lafayette, LA, has quite a few examples of building a new roadway to make two separate roads connect at a four-way:

* Bayou Pkwy/Feu Follet at Kaliste Saloom Rd.
* Verot School at Pinhook (this was originally two separate junctions for Verot School; the old road is now named Aymar)

More apropos to the OP:

Guilbeau Rd/Camilia Blvd at Johnston: Looks like Frier Rd was the original alignment of Guilbeau Rd. When this intersection was redone as a continuous-flow intersection, Frier was commandeered for the left-turn lanes of Guilbeau onto Johnston (or straight through to Rena).

US 90 at LA 182 in Broussard: This interchange was reconfigured during recent work in which the intersection with Albertson Pkwy. and St. Nazaire Road is now grade-separated.

Bertrand Drive "split" at Billeaud/Dulles: The original alignment (still numbered LA 3025) goes to the east. The alignment to the west (LA 3184) is a boulevard connecting to Ambassador Caffery to I-10.  Later, the city reconfigured the intersection to line up Billeaud and Dulles, and in the process removed the old eastward branch of Bertrand, turning that intersection into a T. (Lagniappe: Just north, at the intersection of westward Bertrand and Eraste Landry, you can see a street that is broken in two and a cul-de-sac that used to empty to Eraste Landry.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

mrsman

For whatever strange reason, L.A. was laid out with a lot of broken grids.  As in the previous examples, this means that a cross street is slightly askew as it crosses the main street, essentially meeting the main street in two intersections (2 T intersections).  Traffic on the side streets certainly move better if it was formed as a simple 4-way intersection instead, and in some cases property was acquired to make that happen.

These all occurred a long time ago, but it is somewhat clear how the intersection was modified.

Santa Monica @ Gardner/Vista. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Los+Angeles,+CA/@34.0906127,-118.3530074,119m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x80c2c75ddc27da13:0xe22fdf6f254608f4!8m2!3d34.0522342!4d-118.2436849

Every N-S street in this area seems to shift about 1/32 mile to the east as it crosses SM.  Originally Gardner and Vista did as well.  Then, the northern part of Gardner was connected to the southern part of Vista (and Gardner-Vista widened to be significnatly wider than parallel streets) to create what now exists.

Pico @ Fairfax is also similar

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Los+Angeles,+CA/@34.0510373,-118.3665338,476m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x80c2c75ddc27da13:0xe22fdf6f254608f4!8m2!3d34.0522342!4d-118.2436849

Gage does it twice at both Vermont and Hoover:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/6400+S+Vermont+Ave,+Los+Angeles,+CA+90044/@33.9814043,-118.291863,958m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x80c2c82ef0619db7:0x97efa680d8846365!8m2!3d33.9808754!4d-118.2912718

Van Ness / Arlington does it too near Slauson:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/6400+S+Vermont+Ave,+Los+Angeles,+CA+90044/@33.9904266,-118.3171797,959m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x80c2c82ef0619db7:0x97efa680d8846365!8m2!3d33.9808754!4d-118.2912718

[Again, these were very old realignments.  The ones that I mentioned in earlier threads occurred in my lifetime and I remember the progress.  These probably occurred close to 60 years ago.]

US 89

I'll post one more: US 89/Harrison Blvd (SR 203)/1550 East/Ridgeline Drive in South Ogden, Utah.

In the original configuration, Harrison directly connected to 1550 East, intersecting US 89 at an angle, and Ridgeline Drive didn't exist yet. (Though looking at some historic aerials, I'm not sure if you could continue straight through northbound.) At any rate, this was changed at some point between 1965 and 1971; the original four-way intersection was split into two three-way junctions. US 89 met 1550 East at a typical three-way intersection, while the junction between US 89 and Harrison became a seagull intersection. The old alignment of Harrison was used for a northbound free-right.

However, that was a relatively short-term arrangement. The roads were moved back to their original skewed intersection by 1978, probably to allow for a southbound dual left onto 89. In the mid-1990s, Ridgeline Drive was built, though it did not connect to US 89 because it was too close to the Harrison/1550 East intersection.

This configuration remained until 2016, when it was essentially shifted back to a larger version of the early 1970s alignments. However, this time the 1550 East intersection is restricted to RIRO, and Harrison now connects with Ridgeline. The modern junction features a rare triple left turn from Harrison as well as a dual left from Ridgeline.

Although it doesn't crack the top 10, this is probably one of the busiest intersections in Utah, and even then UDOT isn't done improving it. Currently ongoing construction will add another lane to the westbound right turn, making this a rare example of a double free right turn.

jbnv

This may be stretching the scope of the topic, but check out Perkins Road at I-10 in Baton Rouge. There are two significant reroutings here: first; the rerouting of Perkins Road to eliminate crossing the railroad track twice; and second; the elimination of the straight-through intersection of Perkins Road with Highland Road to let I-10 through.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on September 21, 2019, 10:05:59 PM
Quite a few around the Rochester area.

I wonder if NY 31, Lee Rd, and the NY 390 NB ramps would count for this thread.
You can sort of see what's going on in Google's satellite view. It's a conceptually similar situation to NY 404/Shoecraft Rd in that two closely spaced T intersections were combined into one 4-way intersection.* The biggest differences are that NY 31/Lee Rd was more notoriously congested, has much higher truck traffic (causing problems every time a truck tried to weave from 390 NB to Lee Rd), and the fix/realignment is just one part of a much larger project.

*I suppose we might as well go macro and mention the Can of Worms interchange in this regard as well! :)

GaryV

The multiple connections of Main St, Rochester Rd, Crooks Rd, Gardenia and Catalpa in Royal Oak have been modified over the years.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4985256,-83.1451297,401m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Rochester evolved from the Paint Creek trail and Crooks from the Saginaw Trail.  About a mile north on Crooks, where it turns due north, you can still see the old Saginaw Trail as a depression in the ground.

As you can see, Rochester at some time was "divided" at it's southernmost extremity, so that SB traffic comes to a traffic light just south of Crooks.

Gardenia used to continue straight east to terminate at Main St; that is now a dead-end parking area.  Gardenia now meets directly across Main from Catalpa.  The signal there is coordinated with the signals at SB Rochester and at Crooks for thru traffic.  Although it guarantees that once you turn off SB Rochester onto Main, you will be stopped by the light at Catalpa/Gardenia.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: US 89 on September 30, 2019, 06:49:28 PM
I'll post one more: US 89/Harrison Blvd (SR 203)/1550 East/Ridgeline Drive in South Ogden, Utah.

In the original configuration, Harrison directly connected to 1550 East, intersecting US 89 at an angle, and Ridgeline Drive didn't exist yet. (Though looking at some historic aerials, I'm not sure if you could continue straight through northbound.) At any rate, this was changed at some point between 1965 and 1971; the original four-way intersection was split into two three-way junctions. US 89 met 1550 East at a typical three-way intersection, while the junction between US 89 and Harrison became a seagull intersection. The old alignment of Harrison was used for a northbound free-right.

However, that was a relatively short-term arrangement. The roads were moved back to their original skewed intersection by 1978, probably to allow for a southbound dual left onto 89. In the mid-1990s, Ridgeline Drive was built, though it did not connect to US 89 because it was too close to the Harrison/1550 East intersection.

This configuration remained until 2016, when it was essentially shifted back to a larger version of the early 1970s alignments. However, this time the 1550 East intersection is restricted to RIRO, and Harrison now connects with Ridgeline. The modern junction features a rare triple left turn from Harrison as well as a dual left from Ridgeline.

Although it doesn't crack the top 10, this is probably one of the busiest intersections in Utah, and even then UDOT isn't done improving it. Currently ongoing construction will add another lane to the westbound right turn, making this a rare example of a double free right turn.

Isn't this one of the intersections poised to become an interchange when US 89 is upgraded to a freeway there?

UPDATE: Never mind, that's the segment south of I-84 that's to be upgraded; this intersection is north of I-84. Sorry. my mistake.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.