News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

From an Interchange to a STOP Sign

Started by michravera, September 29, 2019, 12:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michravera

I am looking for situations where a route goes from freeway quickly to a rural and such that a STOP sign is appropriately placed on the road. So, we are looking for a place where two urban freeways meet at an interchange and one of the routes goes out of the urban area and gets sufficiently rural (and, of course, no longer a freeway) has a well placed STOP sign that is not an entrance control, tool booth, or effectively the end of the route.

I was definitely thinking of US-95 in Las Vegas. I believe that this happens on CASR-1 in several places, but I am sure that you can do better. I will also guess that this happens far more frequently outside the contiguous US.

I would be also be mildly interested in traffic signals, but STOP signs are more to the point.

JKRhodes

Maybe not 100% what you're looking for, but AZ 85 starts at a fully directional flyover interchange with I-10. As it continues south it's divided and in the process of becoming a freeway, with a few interchanges along its length. There's a stop sign at the Gila Bend-Maricopa highway, although if you take the slip ramp to continue along 85 / Business 8, you don't have to stop.

michravera

Quote from: JKRhodes on September 29, 2019, 01:27:41 PM
Maybe not 100% what you're looking for, but AZ 85 starts at a fully directional flyover interchange with I-10. As it continues south it's divided and in the process of becoming a freeway, with a few interchanges along its length. There's a stop sign at the Gila Bend-Maricopa highway, although if you take the slip ramp to continue along 85 / Business 8, you don't have to stop.
I was thinking about having a STOP sign required to continue on the route. You didn't exactly say whether this happens here (although it might). What I am really looking for is a route that is a real freeway in town and rapidly gets to be a route where a STOP sign would be appropriate and actually has one. At one point US-95 had a STOP sign just a couple of miles north of the Spaghetti Bowl, for instance.

ET21

Hmmmm I don't recall any around me. The only instance where a freeway goes rural that I use frequently is the IL-56 spur off of I-88 in Sugar Grove IL. Right after the IL-47 interchange however it goes into a stop light and becomes a rural two lane road. Don't think that counts towards what you're looking for
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

JKRhodes

Quote from: michravera on September 30, 2019, 12:46:27 PM
Quote from: JKRhodes on September 29, 2019, 01:27:41 PM
I was thinking about having a STOP sign required to continue on the route. You didn't exactly say whether this happens here (although it might). What I am really looking for is a route that is a real freeway in town and rapidly gets to be a route where a STOP sign would be appropriate and actually has one. At one point US-95 had a STOP sign just a couple of miles north of the Spaghetti Bowl, for instance.

Nope, no stop required to continue southbound under normal operation. Northbound encounters a stop sign at the other end of the business loop, but if you're coming from the south, you don't start on a freeway, so I'll scratch that contribution...

If you're mildly interested in traffic signals, I can think of several examples. The most dramatic one I know is US 60 in the east suburbs of Phoenix; it transitions from a 12 lane urban freeway down to a 4 lane divided highway with stoplights over a relatively short distance.

sprjus4

Don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for, but...

The TX-35 Bypass of Rockport, TX ends at a stop sign (though northbound traffic has a continuous flowing movement)

The bypass is mostly divided highway, non-freeway, but the segment south of this stop sign has a full freeway design for 4 miles, and suddenly just has to stop at the northern end.

The rural 75 mph divided highway / freeway TX-35 Bypass continues south and feeds into the US-181 freeway in Portland, crosses the Harbor Bridge, and feeds into Downtown Corpus Christi, I-37, and TX-286. So this appears to meet your criteria of leaving an urban area, traversing a rural area, then just stopping.

Aerial view of the situation - https://www.google.com/maps/@28.0612132,-97.0661233,1973m/data=!3m1!1e3

Approaching the end of the freeway (Street View) - https://www.google.com/maps/@28.0596731,-97.0637533,3a,37.5y,35.09h,83t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNzchl8Fh92LwLEeNS-vJ3Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

wanderer2575

Closest instance I can think of is OH-315 north of Columbus.  It's a freeway between I-70 and I-270, but within a mile north of I-270 it becomes a two-lane rural road.  There's a yield sign at a roundabout in Powell and a stop sign at County Road 124 near Delaware, but they are several miles north of where the freeway ends.

TravelingBethelite

I am not sure if there is a stop sign or not, but the northern end of I-229 in Rapid City comes to mind, if for nothing else but the abruptness of its end.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

kphoger

The OP doesn't include any criteria as to how far between the interchange and the stop sign should qualify, so this may or may not count.

Northeast of Omaha at its cloverleaf interchange with I-29, I-680 turns into Pottawatomie County Highway G37, immediately crosses a railroad at grade, narrows to two lanes, and then ends at a T intersection 2 miles later.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

michravera

Quote from: kphoger on October 01, 2019, 02:08:40 PM
The OP doesn't include any criteria as to how far between the interchange and the stop sign should qualify, so this may or may not count.

Northeast of Omaha at its cloverleaf interchange with I-29, I-680 turns into Pottawatomie County Highway G37, immediately crosses a railroad at grade, narrows to two lanes, and then ends at a T intersection 2 miles later.

I, the OP, was, of course, looking for fairly short distances, like under 20 miles. CASR-1 has sections of freeway with interchanges in the cities of Santa Cruz (with CASR-17), Monterey (with CASR-68, IIRC), and Ventura (with US-101) and others where either CASR-1 (in Santa Cruz) or the crossing Freeway (in Monterey) have STOP signs or traffic signals fairly soon after the freeway interchange. I believe that this happens with US-101 in Santa Barbara as well (Is that CASR-127?).

I explicitly wanted to exclude route endings.

kphoger

Quote from: michravera on October 01, 2019, 03:50:19 PM
I explicitly wanted to exclude route endings.

Ah, thank you.  I misunderstood "where a route goes from freeway quickly to a rural" as "where a road goes from freeway quickly to rural".

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

motorola870

Quote from: michravera on September 29, 2019, 12:41:16 PM
I am looking for situations where a route goes from freeway quickly to a rural and such that a STOP sign is appropriately placed on the road. So, we are looking for a place where two urban freeways meet at an interchange and one of the routes goes out of the urban area and gets sufficiently rural (and, of course, no longer a freeway) has a well placed STOP sign that is not an entrance control, tool booth, or effectively the end of the route.

I was definitely thinking of US-95 in Las Vegas. I believe that this happens on CASR-1 in several places, but I am sure that you can do better. I will also guess that this happens far more frequently outside the contiguous US.

I would be also be mildly interested in traffic signals, but STOP signs are more to the point.
Chisholm trail parkway super 2 toll road ends at US67 in Cleburne Texas at an signalized intersection as it crosses over US67 on an overpass. Not a stop sign but a super 2 that ends at a signal. The road goes from a 6 lane urban toll in Fort Worth Texas to a super 2 by the time it ends at a signal there is a 4 lane overpass just north of the beginning of the tollway so it goes from super 2 to 4 lane overpass back to super 2 then ends at the signal. The road actually intersects a county road as it ends which the county road continues across the overpass into the city of cleburne as a city street. We do have an interchange where the service roads become a city street at the interchange and flyover connectors being/end the main lanes of a tollway on the President George Bush Turnpike in Grand Prairie at Interstate 20.

roadman65

In Florida we had SR 414 do that before SR 429 got extended. It went from six lanes to four and then to a signal at the former SR 429 SB exit. Then quickly to a stop!

I heard the original south end of the Kansa Turnpike ended abruptly as drivers would plow into a wheat field. KTA had to close the road there until Oklahoma built I-35 to connect to it to end the end.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on October 01, 2019, 08:09:01 PM
I heard the original south end of the Kansa Turnpike ended abruptly as drivers would plow into a wheat field. KTA had to close the road there until Oklahoma built I-35 to connect to it to end the end.

And here's a picture.

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 26, 2018, 10:35:07 PM

For the record, that former terminus was four miles from the previous interchange.  However, michravera has now specified "I explicitly wanted to exclude route endings."
Male pronouns, please.

sprjus4

Why would they even open it to begin with?

thspfc

I know this doesn't count, but since we're hard-pressed for examples, I'll add. . .https://www.google.com/maps/@43.62713,-96.6918294,7233m/data=!3m1!1e3
It seems like I-229 is supposed to continue northward sometime in the future, but for now it dead-ends into a farm road, which has a stop sign a little ways north.

roadfro

Quote from: michravera on September 30, 2019, 12:46:27 PM

Not sure how long ago you're thinking about there being a stop sign on US 95 mainline in the Las Vegas Valley, especially anywhere immediately north of the Spaghetti Bowl. There hasn't been one in my lifetime (and I'm 36). There might have been one when the Las Vegas Expressway was first built out to Rancho Dr circa 1968 (and would have had a 90° turn involved)–US 95 wasn't moved to the current freeway alignment north/west past Rancho until circa 1982.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

US 89

Quote from: sprjus4 on October 01, 2019, 09:05:01 PM

Because what Oklahoma failed to do wasn’t Kansas’s problem. If I recall correctly, the south end was only closed after the governor of Wyoming and his wife crashed into the wheat field...which really doesn’t look good when it makes national news.

Scott5114

Quote from: US 89 on October 02, 2019, 01:08:10 AM

Because what Oklahoma failed to do wasn't Kansas's problem. If I recall correctly, the south end was only closed after the governor of Wyoming and his wife crashed into the wheat field...which really doesn't look good when it makes national news.

Oklahoma was supposed to build their own turnpike carrying the route further on south–however, OTA didn't anticipate that their credit rating was so badly impacted by the construction of the Turner and Will Rogers turnpikes that they were unable to secure bonds to build the turnpike. OTA had already done a decent amount of survey and design work for the turnpike that never was, though, and all of this was turned over to the Department of Highways when I-35 was built.

It's difficult to see in the picture, but there is an east-west road along the state line that one could turn right on to reach US-177. KTA was expecting motorists to treat it as a normal T intersection and continue on their way. Some folks preferred not to, however.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

NWI_Irish96

I can think of several places in Indiana where there is a freeway interchange followed within 1/4 mile by a stop LIGHT (Cline Ave at 80/94 then Ridge Rd, I-65 at Toll Road then US 12/20, US 31 at I-465 then 96th St, I-69 at (I-465 then 75th St) but none with a stop SIGN.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 02, 2019, 05:49:28 AM

there is an east-west road along the state line that one could turn right on to reach US-177. KTA was expecting motorists to treat it as a normal T intersection and continue on their way.

This.  Or, more simply, why wouldn't they have opened it?
Male pronouns, please.

hbelkins

Kentucky's Mountain Parkway's eastern 32 miles is under conversion from a super-2 to a four-lane. The route ends at a traffic light at US 460 in Salyersville.

The former Pennyrile Parkway ends at the US 60/Alt. US 41 interchange in Henderson, then there's a traffic light just beyond that exit.

The Purchase Parkway actually ends across the state line in Tennessee, but the road continues as a surface route (US 45E) before reaching a T intersection at the old 45E routing (now a Tennessee secondary route) south of downtown Fulton. I can't remember if there is a signal or a stop sign there.

The former ending of the Cumberland Parkway was at a signal at US 27/KY 80 in Somerset.

The Bluegrass Parkway ends at US 60 near Versailles. Traffic turning onto westbound 60 has a stop sign. Traffic going east, merges onto US 60 but immediately encounters a signal.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Ian

In Maine, US 1 has two freeway segments in the southern portion of the state (one during its concurrency with I-295 in Portland, and the other on it's own freeway between Brunswick and Bath). Further up, you'll encounter various small towns and lower-volume intersections that utilize STOP signs.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

zzcarp

The Ohio Route 2 Freeway used to end at an at-grade stop sign heading west to Route 61 before the Huron bypass was complete with a flashing red light from the early '70's until the bypass was complete in 1990. The ramps were graded out but they had not built the 61 bridge.
So many miles and so many roads

Brian556

In Texas, President George Bush Turnpike ends at I-30 frontage roads. Intersection controlled by 2 30x30 BlinkerSign STOP signs. GSV shows intersection has been modified since I last went through. Crash barrels have been added. Drivers were slamming into retaining wall beyond the second stop sign.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.8580289,-96.5551605,3a,22.4y,151.99h,88.87t/data=!3m5!1e1!3m3!1s-ob_tas4ydfZ8ZbLP49Ogg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D-ob_tas4ydfZ8ZbLP49Ogg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D84.36013%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.