News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

On-Ramp BGS

Started by Mergingtraffic, November 22, 2019, 10:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

What does your state do when signing the on-ramps for limited access highways?

CT always used a BGS, a route shield and control city.  Now it seems they are switching to flimsy LGS that won't last nearly as long.

As you can see in the pic, the transformation taking place.

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Revive 755

J N Winkler

In rural and suburban settings, Kansas generally uses a ground-mounted large panel sign with shield, cardinal direction word, and control city (if appropriate--control cities were at one time used for loop Interstates such as I-235, but now are not).  Control city is as given in the AASHTO list for Interstates, and typically is the next county seat for non-Interstates.  Constrained urban settings generally attract more customized treatments.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jakeroot

Washington State is a good mix. At the very least, you'll get a small uni-sign with route shield, cardinal direction, and arrow (sometimes accompanied by "freeway entrance" signs, depending on where they end up being placed). In rural and suburban settings, it's normal to see a large-scale BGS (ground-mounted) with route shield, control city, and arrow. Similar to Kansas, Interstate guide signs always use the standard control cities, but state routes (and US routes, I believe) can use secondary control cities. These can be either census-designated places or actual cities (see both on this sign for example). And, as in many states, exceptionally-busy roads, wide roads, or those with limited horizontal clearance, have overhead BGSs (HOV ramps, as seen in that link, can have any combination of the above).

ozarkman417

I've seen all kinds of different on ramp signs in Missouri, but the most common is a BGS similar to that seen in the OP. In rural areas it's a mix between shield & direction only, and the standard BGS that is most common. As far as control cities go (from patterns I've noticed), the next big-enough city with a U.S Highway is usually featured. For example, from Springfield, US-65 North is Sedalia (US 50) instead of Preston (US 54), as Preston only has about 200 residents. At a junction with a major freeway, the next city with an Interstate is displayed. From Springfield on I-44, that would be Saint Louis and Tulsa*.

*Since 2012, Joplin has been be the next city with an Interstate going west, even from St. Louis. However, Tulsa is much larger and a city three times Joplin's size comes before it.

MNHighwayMan

In Minnesota, these are common at rural interchanges: route, direction, and next large city.

In urban areas, this setup is pretty common, where only directions and route are mentioned, without a destination.

CtrlAltDel

Indiana tends to use a cantilevered BGS for the equivalent of left turns onto the interstate. Right-turn equivalents don't get this treatment.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Revive 755

^ Indiana also uses the primary control city almost, if not all the time on those signs.

PHLBOS

I saw this gem* at I-395 in Oxford, MA this past Thanksgiving weekend.  Caltrans comes to Massachusetts.  :sombrero:

*Pardon the grainy GSV
GPS does NOT equal GOD

JoePCool14

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 02, 2019, 03:07:20 PM
I saw this gem* at I-395 in Oxford, MA this past Thanksgiving weekend.  Caltrans comes to Massachusetts.  :sombrero:

*Pardon the grainy GSV

Am I the only one who actually really likes these kinds of signs? I feel like they're helpful when in an unfamiliar place and you only want to know how to get back on the highway again.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

ilpt4u

Quote from: JoePCool14 on December 02, 2019, 10:20:22 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on December 02, 2019, 03:07:20 PM

*Pardon the grainy GSV

Am I the only one who actually really likes these kinds of signs? I feel like they're helpful when in an unfamiliar place and you only want to know how to get back on the highway again.
Come on down to IDOT District 9 in Southern Illinois. They are at all the I-57 interchanges in Marion, the Freeway Entrance signage. Example at Main St Ramps https://goo.gl/maps/PHRa81d8RtRfDe558

AFA the BGS Entrance signs, I've always kinda been partial to this one in Downers Grove, on Highland Ave, even tho its not really for the immediate entrance, just a type of APL BGS directing 88 West & 355 Traffic to follow IL 56 West

Sourced from billburmaster.com's page on I-355
http://www.billburmaster.com/rmsandw/illinois/interstate/355.html

Quote from: Revive 755 on November 23, 2019, 06:50:21 PM
^ Indiana also uses the primary control city almost, if not all the time on those signs.
Unless your name is I-69 Northbound in Southern Indiana, where there is no Control, Primary nor Secondary

OracleUsr

Except at DDI's, NC normally uses no BGS for on-ramps.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

formulanone

For Alabama, they'll use an overhead mount for high-traffic areas, like this on US 90 in Mobile:

Many lower-traffic routes, or those without the space to mount the overheads, use the medium-sized guide signs for each direction:

Some might just use separate shield and control city signs:

webny99

I really, really wish that NY would use BGS's at entrance ramps. It's such a cool practice, and every single time I go to Ohio, I am reminded that it's something NY should be doing more often. I am in favor of eliminating standalone route shields at interchanges altogether (except for reassurance shields).

Weirdly, considering the historical absence of BGS's at interstate entrances, there are several examples of this type of signage at the entrances to NY 104 in Webster. Here, on NY 31, is a recent install that's reason to be encouraged. Same here. And this, also fairly new, is a step in the right direction. Still a long ways to go before these type of signs becomes widespread though!

roadman

"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

TheGrassGuy

In NJ, there's no consistent standard.

In some areas, there is much pizzazz to be found, overhead clean BGSes and all. (NJ 31 @ I-295, Ewing):
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2898276,-74.7849996,3a,75y,194.36h,94.18t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sIpj-KFBPdw7FOvKz4OguKw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Not every area is as lucky, though. At some interchanges, nothing is hanging above us, but at least we still got plenty of route signs and control cities.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1863114,-74.7046582,3a,75y,24.8h,92.22t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sIZ2VZ5_Jp97LtXPbu3dMdg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

These types of signs, with white lines separating everything on them, aren't just for freeway entrances.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8923231,-74.7154076,3a,75y,49.65h,83.87t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWBEW02n3FCMA_v0O6mh6nQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

And in town/city streets like NJ 28 @ I-287 in Bridgewater, you just get a lonely sign that doesn't even have control cities:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5679442,-74.5536519,3a,30y,310.22h,91.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJ7M0daMlinsrUZWUFpCIkg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

So there, yeah. NJ's many different methods of signing for on-ramps are as diverse as its cultural and racial makeup. At least all the on-ramps off of state and US routes have BGSes of decent size. Many local and county routes in NJ have to make do with green puny-sized control city markers and bare shields, or, worse yet, bare shields and cardinal directions with no control cities at all.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

cwf1701

mrsman

The bigger signs are really helpful to guide those passing through back to the highway.

Smaller signs like this, are just not really helpful.  Cicero @ Lawrence Foster in Chicago guide sign to I-94 West.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9749031,-87.7479585,3a,75y,8.49h,75.27t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sU5EvJKNGgH8K1qWQxk0Zow!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

IMO, this deserves special ire for several reasons.  [I have complained about this before several years ago.]  First, there is the inherent confusion of I-94 being east/west along a long stretch of N/S between Chicago and Milwaukee.  If I am headed north, why should I be thinking of heading west.  (A control city would really mitigate this problem.)  Second, this is part of a "breezewood" type connection to allow for people to make a connection that is not provided at the nearby Edens Junction.  If I am headed on the 90 EB and want to go to the 94 WB (to reach the northern suburbs of Chicago like Skokie and Northfield), I must take Lawrence, Cicero, and Foster to make the connection.  Every turn on the routing should be denoted with big signs to help travelers.

And who is likely to need to make this routing of 90 east to 94 west?  For the most part, it's people coming from O'Hare who are reaching the North Shore suburbs.  (Those heading to the more inland northern suburbs and Wisconsin will likely use 294.)  As this is a connection from O'Hare, you have to assume that a lot of the people making this routing are not native or residents of Chicago and could easily get lost

Proper guide signs, like a BGS, whether gantry mounted or ground mounted, that say "94 west Milwaukee" would be really helpful.

ilpt4u

Quote from: mrsman on December 05, 2019, 04:39:11 PM
The bigger signs are really helpful to guide those passing through back to the highway.

Smaller signs like this, are just not really helpful.  Cicero @ Lawrence in Chicago guide sign to I-94 West.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9749031,-87.7479585,3a,75y,8.49h,75.27t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sU5EvJKNGgH8K1qWQxk0Zow!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

IMO, this deserves special ire for several reasons.  [I have complained about this before several years ago.]  First, there is the inherent confusion of I-94 being east/west along a long stretch of N/S between Chicago and Milwaukee.  If I am headed north, why should I be thinking of heading west.  (A control city would really mitigate this problem.)  Second, this is part of a "breezewood" type connection to allow for people to make a connection that is not provided at the nearby Edens Junction.  If I am headed on the 90 EB and want to go to the 94 WB (to reach the northern suburbs of Chicago like Skokie and Northfield), I must take Lawrence, Cicero, and Foster to make the connection.  Every turn on the routing should be denoted with big signs to help travelers.

And who is likely to need to make this routing of 90 east to 94 west?  For the most part, it's people coming from O'Hare who are reaching the North Shore suburbs.  (Those heading to the more inland northern suburbs and Wisconsin will likely use 294.)  As this is a connection from O'Hare, you have to assume that a lot of the people making this routing are not native or residents of Chicago and could easily get lost

Proper guide signs, like a BGS, whether gantry mounted or ground mounted, that say "94 west Milwaukee" would be really helpful.
A real solution would be to build the Missing Movements: I-90/Kennedy Inbound to I-94/Edens Outbound and I-94/Edens Inbound to I-90/Kennedy Outbound

Sure, it would be expensive and complex and displace some private property owners, and the nearby Rail Lines also would be a challenge in Design, but it can be done

kphoger

Smaller signs like this, are just not really helpful.  Cicero @ Lawrence Foster in Chicago guide sign to I-94 West.

You got ahead of yourself (editorially), or else behind yourself (geographically).
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Similarly, anyone heading home to Skokie or Evanston from the Rosemont Theater might use this route.  I do note that Google Maps suggests exiting at the Keeler/Irving Park exit and turning around, rather than using Lawrence over to Cicero, although if I were you I'd probably do the same.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Revive 755

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 02, 2019, 11:20:29 PM
Come on down to IDOT District 9 in Southern Illinois. They are at all the I-57 interchanges in Marion, the Freeway Entrance signage. Example at Main St Ramps https://goo.gl/maps/PHRa81d8RtRfDe558

Not having much luck finding others in Marion on Streetview.  I recall these being part of a previous effort against wrong way driving, particularly at folded diamond interchanges.  Most of Illinois used the freeway entrance signs at certain interchanges (although the examples I am finding now except for District 9 seem to have added downward diagonal arrows), while the Chicago (Schaumburg) District of IDOT used the rest of the Caltrans entrance assembly with the directional banner, route shield, and downward diagonal arrow.

Example of a freeway entrance sign on IL 104 at I-55 south of Springfield
Example at the Farmersville interchange on I-55
Example on US 24 at I-55
Example on IL 17 at I-57
Example on US 45 at I-57/I-70
Example on US 36 at I-57
Example on Washington Street at I-74 in the Peoria area
Example on Main Street at I-74 in Galesburg
Example on IL 157 at I-64
Example on IL 162 at I-255
One on Appleton Road at US 20 in Belvidere (where US 20 only has this interchange)
IL 72 at I-39

ilpt4u

https://goo.gl/maps/a8hYiGVxSGvZhnHW6 IL 148 @ I-57 just north of the I-24 Split, another for (the very south end of) Marion

I don't think they are on the IL 13 nor The Hill Ave ramps, due to the BGSs for the SPUI and DDI, respectively

https://goo.gl/maps/rXyj86YGHYHZ7F7m6 Southern tip of the State, at the Cairo Exit/IL 3/US 51 @ I-57

https://goo.gl/maps/ns3FciKMAoFfpEeJ7 Where US 51 begins its I-57 Duplex near Dongola - Granted, not the typical Caltrans style Freeway Entrance sign, but a Yellow "Freeway Begins"  banner under the I-57/US 51 South/Memphis BGS conveys the same idea

mrsman

Quote from: kphoger on December 05, 2019, 07:20:01 PM

You got ahead of yourself (editorially), or else behind yourself (geographically).

THanks, I'll edit it.

I have strong feelings about this specific guidance because I myself got lost there.  It is hard to think on the fly if you want 94 east or west if you know that you really want to head north on the freeway alternative to Cicero.  (I didn't start at O'Hare, but I was headed toward the very north edge of Chicago city limits in the area and wanted to take I-94 (north) to Touhy.)  I was using Cicero to bypass some bad traffic on the expressways and wanted to use I-94 to complete my journey.

kphoger

Quote from: Revive 755 on December 05, 2019, 11:32:07 PM
Example on US 36 at I-57

I wonder when those were added.  I know for a fact that the sign didn't exist back in March 2006, because I spent about an hour hitchhiking at that on-ramp on a chilly Sunday morning back then.  I definitely would have noticed the sign if it had been there.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.