noelbotevera travels!

Started by noelbotevera, May 02, 2020, 01:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MisterSG1

Quote from: webny99 on June 16, 2020, 02:52:18 PM
Obviously, international travel is restricted right now, but traveling unto itself is not really that big of an issue. It's certain types of activities that result from travel that could be problematic, like large gatherings. But driving around, seeing scenery and visiting parks, isn't going to cause spread of the virus as long as you keep your distance and take the proper precautions.

But if you drive around randomly and unnecessarily and get into a serious crash, where will you go then? Driving around does have the potential of spreading the virus more than you may think.

webny99

Give me a break. The chances of an accident were small before the pandemic, and they've gotten even smaller since. Besides, testing is so easy now, you can just get a test before you go anywhere out of state if you really want to cover the bases.

MisterSG1

And this is brings me back to my original point. This cavalier attitude is why we can't reopen the border yet.

It seems Ketchup99 actually does understand the issue I'm having.

For the record, I have not even left my home region (like a county) since this all started and I'm not far at all away from the next region. (York Region)

That highway in my display pic, I honesty can't tell you the last time I drove on it because it's been so long ago.

Noel needs to understand that these pandemic rules are much more serious than skateboarding in a public park. (assuming you aren't allowed to)

vdeane

It's worth noting that neither New York nor Pennsylvania have bans on non-essential travel any more (and NY might not have ever had a strict one... our orders focused more on business closures, we're not like Europe where one needed a government permission slip to leave the house), and neither state is in the list of states where the pandemic is getting worse.  NY's infection rate is actually the lowest in the country.  So, leaving aside whether one should clinch roads or take "daytrips" to parks, I'm not sure what law is actually being violated here.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Kentucky's governor has been one of the more heavy-handed ones in terms of shutting things down via executive order, and even during the height of what he called "Healthy at Home" he encouraged people to get out and go for a drive. Communities were organizing things like "bear hunts" where people would put stuffed animals in their front windows and people would go out and spot them, or classic car parades around the community where people could drive their vehicles around so folks could watch from home. So recreational travel wasn't banned here the way it may have been in places like Pennsylvania or Michigan.

That being said, there have been some pretty personal attacks levied in this thread that appear to be against the rules of the forum. I'm not calling anyone out or reporting any comments, but some of the participants probably should take a chill pill. Also, a lot of this discussion should either be deleted or moved to the pandemic thread in Off-Topic, in my opinion.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MisterSG1

Quote from: vdeane on June 16, 2020, 03:51:44 PM
It's worth noting that neither New York nor Pennsylvania have bans on non-essential travel any more (and NY might not have ever had a strict one... our orders focused more on business closures, we're not like Europe where one needed a government permission slip to leave the house), and neither state is in the list of states where the pandemic is getting worse.  NY's infection rate is actually the lowest in the country.  So, leaving aside whether one should clinch roads or take "daytrips" to parks, I'm not sure what law is actually being violated here.

And that's the thing, technically Ontario has no laws against this and arguably never had any such laws. HOWEVER, does that make it the right thing to do even though it's not illegal. Here in Canada, you can smoke weed legally but is it something you should do? That's the kind of thing I mean.

Ontario never did have any restrictions from entering the province from another province, unlike say Newfoundland where a 14 day quarantine must occur after you enter Newfoundland.

Although you are now just over 600 cases now a day, NYS isn't entirely clear of this yet, Ontario for the past few days has had sub 200 cases each day.

But if you get into an accident and end up in the hospital with other sick COVId-19 patients, you can easily catch it as well.

MisterSG1

Quote from: hbelkins on June 16, 2020, 04:03:49 PM
Kentucky's governor has been one of the more heavy-handed ones in terms of shutting things down via executive order, and even during the height of what he called "Healthy at Home" he encouraged people to get out and go for a drive. Communities were organizing things like "bear hunts" where people would put stuffed animals in their front windows and people would go out and spot them, or classic car parades around the community where people could drive their vehicles around so folks could watch from home. So recreational travel wasn't banned here the way it may have been in places like Pennsylvania or Michigan.

That being said, there have been some pretty personal attacks levied in this thread that appear to be against the rules of the forum. I'm not calling anyone out or reporting any comments, but some of the participants probably should take a chill pill. Also, a lot of this discussion should either be deleted or moved to the pandemic thread in Off-Topic, in my opinion.

And what kind of personal attacks are those, hbelkins, try to understand that close to 120,000 people have now died of this in the US alone, abiding by the rules in this case is paramount.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: MisterSG1 on June 16, 2020, 04:21:40 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on June 16, 2020, 04:03:49 PM

And what kind of personal attacks are those, hbelkins, try to understand that close to 120,000 people have now died of this in the US alone, abiding by the rules in this case is paramount.
Driving in a car is one of the safest activities to do during a pandemic.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

oscar

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 16, 2020, 04:48:21 PM

And it usually is "abiding by the rules" (whatever you might think of our rules), unless you happen to live in one of the few U.S. jurisdictions still under strict "stay at home" orders, or you have been put under a quarantine/self-isolation order.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

MisterSG1

Quote from: oscar on June 16, 2020, 05:31:39 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 16, 2020, 04:48:21 PM

And it usually is "abiding by the rules" (whatever you might think of our rules), unless you happen to live in one of the few U.S. jurisdictions still under strict "stay at home" orders, or you have been put under a quarantine/self-isolation order.

Just because it is now permissible does not make it right.

Do I need to repeat the recommendation nice and clear.

It is three words

STAY

AT

HOME

noelbotevera

Look man, this is a "I need help planning/here's my recent road trips" thread not a "share your political beliefs on quarantine" thread.

If it makes you happy, I haven't really left the house ever since June 9th. The only time I leave the house is for shopping, exercising, and yes - the occasional road trip. I'll admit what I'm doing isn't okay, but I'll also stand by the belief that I've been reasonable and safe in my travels. If we're going to debate, then let's do so over private messaging. I'm not interested in getting this thread locked.

Roadrunner75

What you're doing is fine.  Enjoy your road trips.

MisterSG1

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on June 16, 2020, 07:17:38 PM

And you have just given me more reason to contact my MP and demand the border closure remain in place until next winter. Very cavalier attitude with no regard for anyone else. Hope your grandfather doesn't die because of that careless attitude.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: MisterSG1 on June 16, 2020, 08:04:09 PM

And you have just given me more reason to contact my MP and demand the border closure remain in place until next winter. Very cavalier attitude with no regard for anyone else. Hope your grandfather doesn't die because of that careless attitude.
I live pretty much right in the original epicenter.  I have multiple very close family members with serious medical conditions and compromised immune systems that could get it.  My uncle, aunt and cousins already were in the hospital with it.  I take it seriously.  I'm not worried about him driving around rural Pennsylvania and New York in his car.

Roadgeekteen

I've said this before, road trips are not killing anyone! He's not gathering in large groups.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

Seriously, you're losing your credibility by claiming that every American / every person that posts to this thread is careless and doesn't care about the virus. The people that actually live in the US, including the region in question, have a pretty good idea of the situation on the ground. It is not a problem for noel to visit Upstate New York, as long as social distancing and proper precautions are observed, and it is pure trolling, not to mention unfair to him and everyone else, to continue to waste time claiming otherwise.

MisterSG1

Quote from: webny99 on June 16, 2020, 10:03:15 PM

Seriously, you're losing your credibility by claiming that every American / every person that posts to this thread is careless and doesn't care about the virus. The people that actually live in the US, including the region in question, have a pretty good idea of the situation on the ground. It is not a problem for noel to visit Upstate New York, as long as social distancing and proper precautions are observed, and it is pure trolling, not to mention unfair to him and everyone else, to continue to waste time claiming otherwise.

Yeah, and there were how many cases in The Copper State today? Almost 2400 in Arizona today!

There is a difference of following rules across the border sadly, ever notice that when you cross into Canada, you don't see a single fence over an overpass, because people up here don't throw objects off overpasses, those kind of attacks are very rare here. It's a fact that there seems to be a stricter adherence to social norms in Canada.

New York has gotten its cases tremendously under control and I commend that, but let's not mention that there are Canadian provinces who haven't had any new cases in weeks.

csw

Again, this seems like a case of, "Canada rules, America drools!"

webny99

Quote from: MisterSG1 on June 16, 2020, 10:39:45 PM
There is a difference of following rules across the border sadly...  It's a fact that there seems to be a stricter adherence to social norms in Canada.

That may be true, and good for you, but it's not relevant or productive to be arguing about it in this thread.

MisterSG1

Quote from: csw on June 16, 2020, 10:52:54 PM
Again, this seems like a case of, "Canada rules, America drools!"

How do you figure?

I do acknowledge that Canada is finished without the US, but I'm curious as to why these social behaviors differ. Why is it that I can be trusted to pump gas here before walking into the store and paying for it but can't in the US. I used an example of overpass fencing assuming that overpass attacks on vehicles are very common. Otherwise, why fence off the overpasses?

Again, I'm not going to be a stupid person here and make pointless references to the War of 1812, I don't hate the US, but seeing how the US is in a lot worse shape than we are, it only makes sense to close the border for now.

Attitudes about social norms is why there is a more cavalier attitude towards the lockdown rules than here.

MisterSG1

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 16, 2020, 09:59:27 PM

I've said this before, road trips are not killing anyone! He's not gathering in large groups.

Yes, but he will have to use the bathroom eventually, the virus can spread within public bathrooms. He gets food on the road somewhere where the worker is infected, he gets infected, and then he can pass it on to other people.

Let's look at our infections in Canada today,

Ontario 184
Quebec 92
Alberta 20
British Columbia 36
Saskatchewan 18
New Brunswick 3

ALL THE REST HAVE ZERO.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: MisterSG1 on June 17, 2020, 12:26:50 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 16, 2020, 09:59:27 PM

Yes, but he will have to use the bathroom eventually, the virus can spread within public bathrooms. He gets food on the road somewhere where the worker is infected, he gets infected, and then he can pass it on to other people.

Let's look at our infections in Canada today,

Ontario 184
Quebec 92
Alberta 20
British Columbia 36
Saskatchewan 18
New Brunswick 3

ALL THE REST HAVE ZERO.
Drive through is also pretty low risk. We can't just lock ourselves in our home until there is a vaccine. Also a lot of the places with 0 have much fewer people than any US state.

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 17, 2020, 10:46:36 AMAlso a lot of the places with 0 have much fewer people than any US state.

And a lot fewer borders/entry points with other states/provinces/countries.

hotdogPi

Quote from: webny99 on June 17, 2020, 11:11:27 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 17, 2020, 10:46:36 AMAlso a lot of the places with 0 have much fewer people than any US state.

Alaska and Hawaii have started going up quickly within the last week.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1 on June 17, 2020, 11:17:10 AM
Quote from: webny99 on June 17, 2020, 11:11:27 AM

Alaska and Hawaii have started going up quickly within the last week.
Hawaii announced only 4 new cases? Hawaii is also much more densely populated than the Canadian territories, even Alaska has more people.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.