News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Elephant in the Room - Tolls in Wisconsin?

Started by merrycilantro, May 17, 2016, 09:51:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

I would like to see toll lanes on the Beltline, or on Interstates 39/90/94 in the future. Both are being studied for long-term improvements.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 01, 2016, 06:23:41 PM
I would like to see toll lanes on the Beltline, or on Interstates 39/90/94 in the future. Both are being studied for long-term improvements.
It's got three interstate highways on the same road.  It's practically BEGGING to be tolled!
I wouldn't expect to see tolls on either I-43 or I-41 north of Milwaukee...because if they toll one of the roads, all the Green Bay-Milwaukee traffic is just going to shift over to the other.  As discussed earlier, there will probably be an emphasis on tolling roads that carry out-of-staters, because Wisconsin will want to siphon in that out-of-state money.  They'll especially want money from the FIBs who flood in like vermin to infest their state and trash everything each summer  :D :D :biggrin: I'd guess I-90 and the section of I-94 south of Milwaukee would be tolled if anything.  Maybe also the Beltline as suggested in the quote here
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

SSOWorld

Good luck adding toll lanes to the beltline - not enough room with all the businesses lining it.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: SSOWorld on June 01, 2016, 11:34:03 PM
Good luck adding toll lanes to the beltline - not enough room with all the businesses lining it.

They can toll the full thing and / or the new part.

merrycilantro

Agreed on the above statements. Siphon some funds on I-41 and I-43, especially with Packer/Bear games...I'd assume too yeah it would have to be both vs. one or the other. And all the traffic that goes Up North. In-staters and Out-of-Staters. The least we could do (since before all the upgrades went in it took 6-8 hours just to drive from Milwaukee to Minocqua) is pay a toll to upkeep it and/or further more much-needed projects. Wis-23 ain't gonna build itself....(we won't get into the NIMBYs that are blocking it at present)...but how many other projects got shelved due to lack of funding. Sure, WisDOT may have overshot expenses on other projects in the past...and we may just have to pay for it now one way or another, but I'd be one of the potential minorities that wouldn't mind paying a toll...I mean sure it'd suck. And yeah we'd be almost mirroring Illinois (I exaggerate here)...but in the long run...could be beneficial. Worth exploring if it is possible. (Plus, it's not like Illinois is the ONLY state that tolls...for all the Illinois haters of Wisconsin LOL)

The Ghostbuster

I would elevate the toll lanes above the existing lanes along the beltline. I know full well that going outwards between Verona Road (Exit 258) and South Towne Road (Exit 264) is impossible without a lot of condemning.

merrycilantro

I'm not a resident of Madison and am by no means an expert, but I can almost assume that will go about as good as the Milwaukee freeway expansion of the 1960's and 1970's protests.

GeekJedi

And nobody will green-light tolling a currently free road simply to raise funds for roads across the region. Perhaps as part of adding HOV lanes or something like that, but you will never see it on a road like the beltline where there is no reasonable free alternative.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.