News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Winter tires in Quebec compulsory on Dec. 1st 2019

Started by Richard3, November 01, 2018, 02:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard3

A bit of a change, this year, on the Quebec's winter tires rule!

Since the beginning of that rule, the winter tires were compulsory between Dec. 15th and March 15th of the following year.

From this winter on, it's between Dec. 1st and March 15th of the following year.  Be advised!

And remember; to be legal in QC, your winter tires must bear this logo.
- How many people are working in here?
- About 20%.

- What Quebec highways and Montreal Canadiens have in common?
- Rebuilding.

States/provinces/territories I didn't went in: AB, AK, AL, BC, HI, KS, LA, MB, MN, MS, MT, ND, NL, NT, NU, RI, SD, SK, WA, WI, YT.  Well, I still have some job to do!

Chris

Are winter tires mandatory in most Canadian provinces?

The situation in Europe is less clear, there are few countries that actually make winter tires mandatory, even snowy countries like Switzerland, Austria and Norway don't have mandatory winter tires within a set date range. In most cases in Central and Northern Europe, winter tires are only mandatory during "wintery conditions", which in some areas is de-facto the entire winter. A few countries do have mandatory winter tires, generally from November 1 to March 31 (the exact date range varies).

Richard3

As I saw on cliquezjustice.ca website (sorry, it's in French), winter tires are mandatory only in Quebec, in some mountainous regions of British Columbia out of the Greater Vancouver area, and on school buses in New Brunswick.  In other provinces, it's recommended, but not mandatory.

Studded tires are allowed in almost all provinces, except Alberta and Saskatchewan;
- British Columbia; 3,5 mm maximum lenght studs are allowed between Oct. 1st and April 30th, but mandatory in some mountainous areas.
- Manitoba; allowed between Oct. 1st and April 30th.
- Ontario; allowed in some northern areas only between Sept. 1st and May 31st.
- Quebec; allowed between Oct. 15th and May 1st.
- New Brunswick; allowed between mid-Oct. and April 30th.
- Nova Scotia; allowed between mid-Oct. and May 31st.
- Prince Edward Island; allowed between Oct. 1st and May 31st.
- Newfoundland & Labrador; allowed between Nov. 1st and April 30th.
- About 20%.

- Rebuilding.

States/provinces/territories I didn't went in: AB, AK, AL, BC, HI, KS, LA, MB, MN, MS, MT, ND, NL, NT, NU, RI, SD, SK, WA, WI, YT.  Well, I still have some job to do!

1995hoo

I seem to recall they're compulsory in Quebec only for provincial residents and that visitors are urged to comply but are not required to do so. Has that been changed?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webfil

The December 1st mandatory winter tire date will come into effect in 2019, at least. For now, it's still December 15th.

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 01, 2018, 06:45:59 PM
I seem to recall they're compulsory in Quebec only for provincial residents and that visitors are urged to comply but are not required to do so. Has that been changed?
No.
Quote from: C-24.2 Highway Safety Code section 440.1Between 15 December and 15 March, the owner of a taxi or a passenger vehicle registered in Québec may not put the vehicle into operation unless it is equipped with tires specifically designed for winter driving, in compliance with the standards prescribed by government regulation. The prohibition also applies to any person renting out passenger vehicles not equipped with that type of tires.

Quote from: Chris on November 01, 2018, 04:23:42 PM
The situation in Europe is less clear, there are few countries that actually make winter tires mandatory, even snowy countries like Switzerland, Austria and Norway don't have mandatory winter tires within a set date range.
Austria and Slovenia have mandatory tire chains on designated roads within a date range. That's quite something seen from here, where such devices are prohibited.

froggie

Not a requirement, but Vermont highly recommends snow/winter tires during the winter.  I get mine put on next week.

WCAX (CBS affilitate out of Burlington, VT) did a news piece comparing winter tires to all-season tires last winter.

cbeach40

Quote from: Chris on November 01, 2018, 04:23:42 PM
Are winter tires mandatory in most Canadian provinces?

Ontario did not make them mandatory, but insurance companies are required to offer a discount to clients who use winter tires. It's not much, but it does provide a bit of encouragement.
and waterrrrrrr!

haljackey

In southern Ontario they are not mandatory, but I do enjoy a 5% insurance discount for having them.

That pretty much covers the cost of getting them on and off each year.

AsphaltPlanet

I run winters on my car too.

For the amount of miles that I drive, personally I think it's worth it just from a tire wear perspective.  Might as well have good traction if I need to buy new summer tires every 2-3 seasons.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Richard3

Well,... looks like I messed up the whole thing!

Winter tires will be compulsory starting Dec. 1st only in 2019!  This year, it's still on Dec. 15th.

...my bad!  :no:
- About 20%.

- Rebuilding.

froggie

Given the way November went, probably should have made it November 15th...

Richard3

Quote from: froggie on December 02, 2018, 09:20:56 AM
Given the way November went, probably should have made it November 15th...

...this year, absolutely!

But I should mention that my own car is still on summer tires. For now.
- About 20%.

- Rebuilding.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.