News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Gerald Desmond Bridge replacement in Long Beach

Started by MarkF, November 30, 2019, 04:22:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkF

Here's a video showing construction of the Gerald Desmond Bridge replacement in Long Beach.  I can remember when they were building the Desmond Bridge back in '67-'68, using the ground level pontoon bridge to get to Terminal Island from downtown LB.  That was a big time for Long Beach, as the Queen Mary arrived in late '67.

https://youtu.be/M1lh5ohj_bk

oscar

^ When was that video shot? Looks like at least several months' more work before the new bridge opens to traffic.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

MarkF

Quote from: oscar on November 30, 2019, 10:46:58 PM
^ When was that video shot? Looks like at least several months' more work before the new bridge opens to traffic.

November 17, 2019, just a couple of weeks ago.

Sonic99

Quote from: oscar on November 30, 2019, 10:46:58 PM

That's what the GTA Stunt Jump is for.
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

Plutonic Panda

M3100

Thanks; I am looking forward to driving over the new bridge.  It will have a pedestrian walkway; that will be a good place to get pictures of the harbor area. 

ClassicHasClass

I can finally update my 47-103 exhibit when that damn bridge is open. I miss the Heim, though. That was a cool bridge to watch in operation. I'm glad I got at least some video footage on it before it was demolished.

DTComposer

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on September 28, 2020, 11:01:13 PM
I can finally update my 47-103 exhibit when that damn bridge is open.

I always found the website for the new bridge amusing:

www.newgdbridge.com

I know it was short for Gerald Desmond, but I have to think whoever picked that domain understood the double meaning.

oscar

Quote from: DTComposer on September 30, 2020, 11:58:05 AM

www.newgdbridge.com

I know it was short for Gerald Desmond, but I have to think whoever picked that domain understood the double meaning.

To say nothing of Michigan DOT, which constantly abbreviates "Grand" as "Gd".
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

heynow415

Quote from: DTComposer on September 30, 2020, 11:58:05 AM
Quote from: ClassicHasClass on September 28, 2020, 11:01:13 PM
I can finally update my 47-103 exhibit when that damn bridge is open.

www.newgdbridge.com

When living in Davis many years ago I recall the Folsom Dam Road which, pre-9/11 was the road across the dam between Folsom and Orangevale (since relocated on a new bridge).  Because it was a key connector between the two communities and one of the few lower American River crossings it was a frequent flyer on Sacramento radio traffic reports.  It was typically referred to as the Dam Road but spoken as if it was the Damn Road which, with its propensity for getting jammed up, seemed apropos.

Great Lakes Roads

Here is a video of the "virtual grand opening" ceremony of the new Gerald Desmond Bridge in Long Beach.

Occidental Tourist

Drove over it and the now-open second carriageway for the new Cerritos Channel bridge yesterday.  I'll post video soon.  The eight lane approaches and six lane bridge are fantastic.  There are still no direct ramps from the 710 and 47 to the Terminal Island Freeway, although there are paved lanes for a direct connection when one is built.

And the uncovered signage still has the 47 mysteriously exiting from itself as exit 5 onto Henry Ford Avenue.

Occidental Tourist

DTComposer

Thanks for sharing that! Interesting that they're still using Pasadena as the control for I-710 north...

Question: when you approached the bridge from Ocean Blvd westbound, it seemed to narrow to one lane before merging with I-710 south. Does that seem to be the final setup? I think it used to be two or three lanes.

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: DTComposer on October 14, 2020, 11:31:09 PM
Thanks for sharing that! Interesting that they're still using Pasadena as the control for I-710 north...

Question: when you approached the bridge from Ocean Blvd westbound, it seemed to narrow to one lane before merging with I-710 south. Does that seem to be the final setup? I think it used to be two or three lanes.

Yes.  There are three lanes coming from the right; two from the 710 and one from the Pico on-ramp.

ClassicHasClass

Don't you just hate it when you have the camera on and all it gets is semi-trailer buttocks?

Thanks for the preview. The Desmond replacement is very nice, but it's kind of disappointing to see how little progress has happened on the NB Heim replacement. Last I was there (a couple years back) it still looked like that. At least the SB carriageway has improved.

bing101

Here is opening day from the Gerald Desmond Bridge

M3100

I had a chance to drive over the bridge eastbound today...well done.

FYI this segment of highway is now included as part of I-710 on the Travel Mapping site.

Occidental Tourist

Both directions of the Schuyler Heim replacement bridge are open.  Route 47 still exits off itself as exit 5.  Because there is no state mileage for route 47 after the exit, it makes you wonder why they don't renumber all of the existing route 47 as route 103 and take 47 off the books until they build the Henry Ford Ave viaduct.

Plutonic Panda

So are they going to replace the Vincent Thomas Bridge anytime soon to expand it to three lanes as well?

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 03, 2021, 02:17:06 AM
So are they going to replace the Vincent Thomas Bridge anytime soon to expand it to three lanes as well?

They should at least increase its capacity, but I haven't seen any discussion of double-decking, a second span, etc.  In fact, they have steel plates welded over where some of the expansion joints have failed, rather than replacing the joints themselves.

Plutonic Panda

Plutonic Panda

ClassicHasClass

Was just out there with my camera over July 4 weekend to reshoot my 47-103 exhibit. Sad to see the old bridge unused next to the new one.

pderocco

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on July 16, 2022, 12:25:18 AM
Was just out there with my camera over July 4 weekend to reshoot my 47-103 exhibit. Sad to see the old bridge unused next to the new one.
Well, it wouldn't have made any sense to build the new bridge so much higher if they continued to use the old one.

That's actually an unusually exciting bridge to drive, because it's so steep.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.