News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Spring Break trip 2021

Started by TravelingBethelite, October 25, 2020, 12:17:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TravelingBethelite

A friend (also a big college football fan) and I who both go to Missouri have started planning our trip for spring break next year, with things hopefully being a bit more open. We're thinking of a trip to see all the stadiums of the SEC (and a couple others). I'm a little better at mapping (so I'm the navigator - real surprise  :bigass:), and here's what I'm thinking so far.

From Columbia, take I-70 east to St. Louis, get on I-64 east all the way straight to Lexington, KY (Kroger Field at Commonwealth Stadium, University of Kentucky), then take US 68 west/south to I-65 south near Bowling Green, down to Nashville (Vanderbilt Stadium, Vanderbilt University). From there, take I-40 east to Knoxville (Neyland Stadium, University of Tennessee), continuing on I-40 east, cutting through North Carolina to get onto I-26 east to Columbia, SC (Williams-Brice Stadium, University of South Carolina). Headed west out of Columbia on US 378, we cut straight across the Upstate of SC into eastern Georgia, picking up US 78 in Washington, which we take to Athens (Sanford Stadium, University of Georgia). We follow US 441 south out of Athens, which we take all the way to Douglas, peeling off onto US 221 south, which we take down to US 41 to GA 31 eventually to I-75 in Valdosta, following that south to Gainesville (Ben Hill Griffin Stadium ("The Swamp"), University of Florida). We follow US 27 heading west from Gainesville, briefly picking up US 19 on the way to the state capital of Tallahassee (Doak-Campbell Stadium, Florida State University). We take Florida 20 over to US 231 down to take a beach day in Panama City Beach. We follow Florida 77 north away from the coast all the way to the Alabama state line, becoming Alabama 109, which empties out onto US 231 in Madrid, which in turn continues to curve around the west side of Dothan en route to Troy (Veterans Memorial Stadium, Troy University). From there, we follow US 29 north, briefly picking up US 80, to Auburn (Jordan-Hare Stadium, Auburn University), then looping around onto I-85 south to Montgomery, curving north on I-65 to pick up US 82 west to visit the other side of the Iron Bowl (Bryant-Denny Stadium, University of Alabama), continuing on the same road over the Mississippi state line west to the CDP of Mississippi State (Davis-Wade Stadium, Mississippi State University). We keep going west on US 82, then turn north on Mississippi 9, straight onto Mississippi 7 into Oxford (Vaught-Hemingway Stadium and The Grove, University of Mississippi). Headed briefly west on US 278, we then start a long segment with few turns, barreling down I-55 onto I-12 west over to Baton Rouge (Tiger Stadium, Louisiana State University). We turn back north by taking US 61 out of Baton Rouge, splitting off onto US 425 in Natchez, Miss., following it north to I-530 in Pine Bluff. We take that north to where it dumps onto I-40 west near Little Rock, which we follow all the way to I-49 in Alma, taking that north to Fayetteville (Donald W. Reynolds Stadium, University of Arkansas). I-49 takes us back into to Missouri and then to I-44 east up to US 63 north in Rolla, then back up to Columbia to rejoin the land of living.

59 hours non-stop, ~3337 miles total.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Max Rockatansky

For SEC stadiums?  I could see trying to clinch them if a game was going on or you could tour some of those stadiums.  That seems like a lot of primary roads to hit for something like that.  Really if your end goal is to see the outer facade of buildings I don't see what would obstruct you.

US 89

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on October 25, 2020, 12:17:58 AM
to Athens (Sanford Stadium, University of Georgia). We follow US 441 south out of Athens, which we take all the way to Douglas, peeling off onto US 221 south, which we take down to US 41 to GA 31 eventually to I-75 in Valdosta

Why not go through Atlanta instead and see Georgia Tech and Georgia State's stadiums?

I-55

And here at Purdue we won't have a spring break. And did any of the students like this decision? Probably the same number of people who made the decision. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

1995hoo

You've included one ACC stadium (Florida State) and one from a smaller conference (Troy). Nothing wrong with that if you're passing them, but the bigger issue is that you've omitted one SEC stadium (Texas A&M).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 25, 2020, 09:22:44 AM
You've included one ACC stadium (Florida State) and one from a smaller conference (Troy). Nothing wrong with that if you're passing them, but the bigger issue is that you've omitted one SEC stadium (Texas A&M).

I forgot to mention that I intentionally left Texas A&M out, as I felt that including it would make a busy but feasible trip almost impossible to pull off in the 8 to 10 days that we have. I'll look into it though.

hbelkins

Any particular reason you're taking US 68 out of Lexington? The better and most-used route is the BG Parkway to I-65. US 68 is not a great route beyond Wilmore to just outside Perryville. If you're just looking for a route that uses less freeway, take the BG Parkway to the KY 555 exit and keep going straight. It becomes KY 55 at Springfield and then runs into US 68 at Lebanon, and you can take 68 on to just outside Edmonton, where a new exit will allow you to connect to the Cumberland Parkway.

And why not swap Lexington and Nashville on your route? Go to Nashville first, then Lexington, then Knoxville.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: hbelkins on October 25, 2020, 07:28:40 PM
Any particular reason you're taking US 68 out of Lexington? The better and most-used route is the BG Parkway to I-65. US 68 is not a great route beyond Wilmore to just outside Perryville. If you're just looking for a route that uses less freeway, take the BG Parkway to the KY 555 exit and keep going straight. It becomes KY 55 at Springfield and then runs into US 68 at Lebanon, and you can take 68 on to just outside Edmonton, where a new exit will allow you to connect to the Cumberland Parkway.

And why not swap Lexington and Nashville on your route? Go to Nashville first, then Lexington, then Knoxville.

I really liked US 68 after taking it on a trip last year but come to think of it, it was a pretty slow road. I'll consider that. Anyway, we're planning to do Lexington first because it's a pretty easy straight shot east from Columbia (I-70 to I-64) and the closest in the SEC other than Arkansas.

clong

You may also want to consider adding Legion Field in Birmingham (and also the new UAB stadium downtown while you're here) between Auburn and Tuscaloosa since more Iron Bowls have been played in that stadium than anywhere else including all games from 1948-1988.

Won't add much time to your trip either.

thspfc

I would recommend playing the SEC on CBS theme the whole trip, especially when you're in Tuscaloosa.

jdb1234

Quote from: clong on October 26, 2020, 03:01:46 PM
You may also want to consider adding Legion Field in Birmingham (and also the new UAB stadium downtown while you're here) between Auburn and Tuscaloosa since more Iron Bowls have been played in that stadium than anywhere else including all games from 1948-1988.

I would recommend going US 280 to I-459 to I-59/20 between Auburn and Tuscaloosa anyway instead of going through Montgomery. 

clong

Quote from: jdb1234 on October 27, 2020, 09:52:03 AM
Quote from: clong on October 26, 2020, 03:01:46 PM

I would recommend going US 280 to I-459 to I-59/20 between Auburn and Tuscaloosa anyway instead of going through Montgomery.

Agreed. Just make sure to slow to the actual speed limit in Harpersville.

JoePCool14

Quote from: I-55 on October 25, 2020, 01:47:23 AM
And here at Purdue we won't have a spring break. And did any of the students like this decision? Probably the same number of people who made the decision. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Also happening at my school. I knew it was coming. It doesn't really matter I guess... not like there will be anywhere to go. :-/

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

hbelkins

I never really understood why spring break was so special. Schools typically didn't have fall breaks back when I was in college (1979-1983). Why is a spring break needed if a fall break isn't?

And I never went anywhere on spring break. Farthest I ever got from home was either Lexington (shopping) or Hindman (high school basketball tournament). And one year I had to stay on campus and work. So spring break was never a magical thing for me. I appreciated the week off from classes, but it wasn't a big deal other than that.

74/171FAN

Quote from: hbelkins on October 28, 2020, 11:10:25 PM
I never really understood why spring break was so special. Schools typically didn't have fall breaks back when I was in college (1979-1983). Why is a spring break needed if a fall break isn't?

As Rebecca Black would say, "Partying, Partying, Yeah!!".  Of course, it went viral in March 2011.

Of course, partying happens during Fall Break too.  I guess it is more of a tourism thing for the Gulf Coast and Florida Beaches.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

vdeane

If I had to guess, it would be because the fall semester would typically be broken up by Thanksgiving, whereas the spring semester doesn't have a natural holiday break.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Quote from: vdeane on October 29, 2020, 12:35:48 PM
If I had to guess, it would be because the fall semester would typically be broken up by Thanksgiving, whereas the spring semester doesn't have a natural holiday break.

That's a logical supposition, but Thanksgiving was always just a two-day break for me. And there were only three weeks left in the semester when classes resumed the following Monday. So Thanksgiving was not much longer than the Labor Day holiday, or Columbus Day when it was observed (my freshman year was the first year Columbus Day wasn't observed as a holiday at my school, and a massive power outage occurred that caused classes to be dismissed that day.)

kphoger

And I never went anywhere on spring break. Farthest I ever got from home was either Lexington (shopping) or Hindman (high school basketball tournament). And one year I had to stay on campus and work. So spring break was never a magical thing for me. I appreciated the week off from classes, but it wasn't a big deal other than that.

In Mexico, spring break always falls during Holy Week and Easter, as many families travel during that time to be with relatives.  I always thought it strange that spring break doesn't line up in the same way here in the USA, even while winter break does line up with Christmas.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ChimpOnTheWheel

To bypass St. Louis, you could use I-70 to Wentzville, I-64 to I-270 (east of Chesterfield) to I-255 (in Mehlville), back to I-64 in Caseyville IL. I don't think it's faster on a good day, but on a bad traffic day, could be worthwhile.
Just a casual.

kphoger

Most times of day, I'd probably go I-70 straight to I-64.  However, at peak traffic times, it's best to avoid downtown.  The last time I made that drive, that's the way I went, but it was also late in the evening.

I actually recommend I-270 east from Saint Charles (use MO-370 or not, six one way and half a dozen the other), then I-255 south from Glen Carbon.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

STLmapboy

Quote from: kphoger on October 29, 2020, 05:20:34 PM
Most times of day, I'd probably go I-70 straight to I-64.  However, at peak traffic times, it's best to avoid downtown.  The last time I made that drive, that's the way I went, but it was also late in the evening.

I actually recommend I-270 east from Saint Charles (use MO-370 or not, six one way and half a dozen the other), then I-255 south from Glen Carbon.
70 to 64 is fine bc you don't go straight through downtown. You just take the Musial Bridge and segue right onto 64 in East STL.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

STLmapboy

Quote from: ChimpOnTheWheel on October 29, 2020, 04:46:41 PM
To bypass St. Louis, you could use I-70 to Wentzville, I-64 to I-270 (east of Chesterfield) to I-255 (in Mehlville), back to I-64 in Caseyville IL. I don't think it's faster on a good day, but on a bad traffic day, could be worthwhile.
It's not really faster even in bad traffic. 270 SB gets back from from Page to 44. It's a pretty long dip south.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

1995hoo

We had what everyone called "Fall Break" when I was an undergrad, but the university called it "Fall Reading Days." It was a two-day break creating a four-day weekend in mid-October, and we didn't get any "reading days" between the end of classes and the start of exams during the fall semester. Those of us who lived in Virginia generally went home for "Fall Break," but people who lived further away generally didn't.

In law school, we got a full week in mid-October that we as students called "Fall Break," but its real purpose was to allow second- and third-year students a free week for travel for call-back job interviews following the September on-campus interviewing season. People routinely missed classes to travel for interviews and it was understood and expected that would happen, but the idea of the free week was to try to reduce the need to skip classes to the extent possible.

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 30, 2020, 10:17:10 AM
We had what everyone called "Fall Break" when I was an undergrad, but the university called it "Fall Reading Days." It was a two-day break creating a four-day weekend in mid-October ...

One of which was probably Columbus Day.

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on October 30, 2020, 11:54:30 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 30, 2020, 10:17:10 AM
We had what everyone called "Fall Break" when I was an undergrad, but the university called it "Fall Reading Days." It was a two-day break creating a four-day weekend in mid-October ...

One of which was probably Columbus Day.

Hard to recall this many years later, but I think it was sometimes the weekend after that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.