News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Which 3di font sizes are these?

Started by SkyPesos, March 12, 2021, 01:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeriesE

Kind of relevant to this, is there some documentation stating how wide the font should be depending on the speed limit? I vaguely remember reading something like that before but can't find it now.

myosh_tino

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 12, 2021, 01:57:19 PM
1) B
2) C
3) C
4) D
5) C

#5 is closest to the federal spec (though the word INTERSTATE is supposed to be wider).

To expand on Scott's post...

Assuming the shields are 36" tall which is what is typically used on overhead guide signs....

1) 18" Series B
2) 18" Series C
3) 16" Series C <<< Height is a guess.  They're definitely shorter than #2 but taller than #4
4) 15" Series D
5) 15" Series C

California, for the most part, uses 15" Series D on all overhead guide sign Interstate shields.  The 2-digit shields are your typical 36" x 36" shields but the 3-digit ones are slightly taller at 45" x 38".

Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

SkyPesos

Quote from: SeriesE on June 24, 2021, 08:27:41 PM
Kind of relevant to this, is there some documentation stating how wide the font should be depending on the speed limit? I vaguely remember reading something like that before but can't find it now.
I don't think so, it's mainly the states' DOT choice I think. Plenty of Series B 3di shields out there on a roadway with a high speed limit.

SkyPesos

Been playing with the sign maker site for a bit, and even though I generally prefer Series C over D for 3di, x11 routes (if we get them) look terrible in Series C. Especially I-111.

JoePCool14

Quote from: SkyPesos on July 04, 2021, 08:12:39 PM
Been playing with the sign maker site for a bit, and even though I generally prefer Series C over D for 3di, x11 routes (if we get them) look terrible in Series C. Especially I-111.

If we ever get I-111, I hereby designate it shall be posted only in Series F. :bigass:

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

SkyPesos

Looks like my preference in the op (choice 3) just got replaced during a construction project west of the I-44 and I-270 interchange. I still don't like the Series E "INTERSTATE" for 3di shields though.

tolbs17

Quote from: SkyPesos on January 24, 2022, 11:22:40 PM
Looks like my preference in the op (choice 3) just got replaced during a construction project west of the I-44 and I-270 interchange. I still don't like the Series E "INTERSTATE" for 3di shields though.

Definitely funny and unusual of how those are stretched out. Looking at these, the left sign was installed 2019 and the 264 digits appear to be Series B while the right one has Series D ones which was installed in 2014 or 2015 I think.

SkyPesos

Quote from: tolbs17 on February 16, 2022, 01:02:20 PM
Definitely funny and unusual of how those are stretched out. Looking at these, the left sign was installed 2019 and the 264 digits appear to be Series B while the right one has Series D ones which was installed in 2014 or 2015 I think.
I'm confused, what does the stretched out "INTERSTATE" banner have to with US route font sizes?

I actually thought you were going to use an example on I-264 in VA (since that's somewhat close to you) before clicking on the link.

Scott5114

Definitely funny and unusual of how those are stretched out.

This is the most incorrect thing you've ever posted. What you are looking at is literally 100% according to the standards in the book.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

tolbs17

Quote from: SkyPesos on February 16, 2022, 01:35:23 PM
I'm confused, what does the stretched out "INTERSTATE" banner have to with US route font sizes?

I actually thought you were going to use an example on I-264 in VA (since that's somewhat close to you) before clicking on the link.
I thought you were referring to the the highway shield fonts. And no. The first line I posted was to quote that it was funny looking.

tolbs17

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 16, 2022, 02:29:02 PM

Definitely funny and unusual of how those are stretched out.

This is the most incorrect thing you've ever posted. What you are looking at is literally 100% according to the standards in the book.
But many of the "INTERSTATE" text on the shields are condensed here.

Scott5114

Doesn't mean that actually following the standard is "definitely funny and unusual".
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US71

Quote from: SkyPesos on July 04, 2021, 08:12:39 PM

Would 911 be posted as an emergency corridor?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

JoePCool14

The 264 in the left sign is Series C, not Series B.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

KEK Inc.

Having grown up in California, I've always preferred Series D on 3di/3dus.
Take the road less traveled.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: KEK Inc. on April 06, 2022, 03:24:49 AM

I prefer D as well, but I will accept C if it means the numerals can be taller.

I have a running gag that the font series are named after descriptors:

Series D is delightful
Series E is extra-thick
Series F is fat
Series C is condensed
Series B is barely legible
Series A is asinine.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

SkyPesos

Quote from: KEK Inc. on April 06, 2022, 03:24:49 AM
Growing up in OH and MO, both states used to use all three font types (B, C, D), though I recall seeing a bit more Series B in MO and button-copy series D in OH for a while. Now both states use mostly series C (or series D if there's a 1 in the route number, like for I-170 in MO or I-271 in OH) for new sign installations.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.