News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Why can't people merge onto an interstate properly anymore?

Started by Crash_It, May 02, 2021, 02:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on May 02, 2021, 09:24:13 PM
I enjoy watching YouTube videos of driver errors.  But as an insurance professional, I also find it oddly fascinating how some folks will post videos seeking validation when their own errors may have contributed to the near misses / accidents.

And, more often than not, escalating the situation (and sometimes even taking efforts to create the situation in the first place) instead of de-escalating it. Because of course it wouldn't be very exciting or garner very many clicks to just move over and let them merge.

Crash_It

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 02, 2021, 09:30:21 PM
Quote from: Crash_It on May 02, 2021, 09:19:53 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 02, 2021, 08:41:57 PM
Just lay on the horn, that fixes everything.

You sound like someone who would drive slow after being honked at for being on your phone 5 seconds after the light turned green because you can't accept being notified of a stupid mistake. Cars have horns for a reason and I recently upgraded mine and it couldn't have came at a better time.

Ha, you don't even know anything about how I drive.  But we know full well much of a douche bag behind the wheel you are.

So it's perfectly ok in your book to enter an interstate under the minimum speed and then brake when there wasn't a safe enough gap for such behavior?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Crash_It on May 03, 2021, 03:03:08 AM

You sound like someone who would drive slow after being honked at for being on your phone 5 seconds after the light turned green because you can't accept being notified of a stupid mistake. Cars have horns for a reason and I recently upgraded mine and it couldn't have came at a better time.

Ha, you don't even know anything about how I drive.  But we know full well much of a douche bag behind the wheel you are.

So it's perfectly ok in your book to enter an interstate under the minimum speed and then brake when there wasn't a safe enough gap for such behavior?

I just made a joke based off how much you lay on the horn in videos I've seen and you got all butt hurt about it.  You subsequently fired back with an assumption about my driving behavior.  My body of work isn't on display, your's is.

NWI_Irish96

It's not an either or situation. Just because another driver was wrong doesn't make you right. Your responsibility is to reduce the probability that his driving error results in an accident, and you failed to do that by not moving over when it was safe to do so.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 03, 2021, 08:20:24 AM
It's not an either or situation. Just because another driver was wrong doesn't make you right. Your responsibility is to reduce the probability that his driving error results in an accident, and you failed to do that by not moving over when it was safe to do so.

One of the things you learn quickly when working with auto insurance is that fault is almost never an either/or determination.

The other person making a mistake doesn't preclude the possibility that you also erred.

jeffandnicole

BTW, how did the court case go?

kphoger

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on May 02, 2021, 04:35:27 PM

Quote from: Crash_It on May 02, 2021, 04:22:12 PM
The law says that drivers merging on have to match the speed, this didn't happen.

The law says, and I quote:

At an intersection where traffic lanes are provided for merging traffic the driver of each vehicle on the converging roadways is required to adjust his vehicular speed and lateral position so as to avoid a collision with another vehicle.

Correct.  Under Illinois state law, it is not only the responsibility of the driver entering the highway to adjust his speed.  It is also the responsibility of the driver already on the highway to adjust his speed too.

If there was a close call at a merge point, then both drivers were equally to blame.

Once again, |Crash_It| demonstrates that he doesn't understand what the law actually says, while showcasing his misguided road rage.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

renegade

I still refuse to monetize this asshole by clicking on his videos.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

kphoger

I checked GSV just to confirm, too:  No yield sign for the on-ramp.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: renegade on May 03, 2021, 03:23:21 PM
I still refuse to monetize this asshole by clicking on his videos.

He claims that he doesn't make money on them.  Considering the antagonistic ambulance chaser-style in the videos I tend to question if that is really true. 

Crash_It

If it was safe to do so I would've moved over but it wasn't. I avoided the accident by taking the second option which was to brake so as not to hit him. If he had just hit 55mph which in a car like a BMW is not an issue, there wouldn't have been a problem at all. Many drivers in Chicagoland actually struggle with this. I have not seen this issue as bad anywhere else I've driven

paulthemapguy

This isn't the first time you've been objectively wrong.  But you're blatantly objectively wrong.  If you expect to drive with a cruise setting on an urban freeway, you don't know the first thing about driving in traffic.  If you don't know that freeway traffic has to provide a space for onramp traffic to get on, either by slowing down or moving a lane to the left, then you don't know how to drive on a freeway.  The world would probably benefit if you stopped doing both.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Flint1979

Quote from: Crash_It on May 03, 2021, 10:30:43 PM

If it was safe to do so I would've moved over but it wasn't. I avoided the accident by taking the second option which was to brake so as not to hit him. If he had just hit 55mph which in a car like a BMW is not an issue, there wouldn't have been a problem at all. Many drivers in Chicagoland actually struggle with this. I have not seen this issue as bad anywhere else I've driven
The last time I drove in Chicago which was about a month ago I was on the Ike going westbound from the circle interchange and I swear in the middle lane this lady was doing about 40 miles an hour. I passed her and it was like no reason that she was going that slow. I can't believe that people struggle to get going on a highway.

fwydriver405

I almost got stuck in a 144 minute* traffic jam on I-295 North in Maine on Monday en route to Orono due to an accident... according to witnesses, a car merging from Exit 10 onto 295 North failed to yield to a semi, resulting in the driver having to brake and jackknifed consequently.

QuoteAccording to Moss, witnesses at the scene said the crash happened when a car merging onto I-295 without yielding to the truck, causing Philbrick to brake and subsequently jackknife. No other vehicles were involved in the crash, Moss said.

*That number came from travel information signs I saw on the Maine Turnpike between Exit 36 and 42.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Crash_It on May 03, 2021, 10:30:43 PM
If it was safe to do so I would've moved over but it wasn't.

You keep saying that but it's not true. It was at least 6 seconds before a car appeared in the next lane. If you can't safely change lanes safely in that time frame you're a worse driver than the merger.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

In_Correct

It looks as Crash It ostensibly and intentionally tried to run some people off the road. Perhaps their braking was a warning for him to back off. He did honk at them after all. Slow down or Merge to the next lane is better. It is alarming that instead of avoiding problems, people cause them for the purpose of videos.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

1995hoo

Saw this on Twitter this morning and immediately thought of this thread: "How dare that pilot not see that I was driving on this road and stay out of my way!"

https://twitter.com/VaDOTNOVA/status/1389529046778847239
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

If anyone made it through this entire video, which only shows one thing... his misunderstanding of traffic laws... It was also noticed that he decided to pass the vehicle, then quickly merge back into the right lane clearly not giving enough distance between him and the person behind him.

I've also learned two things. He often says the other camera image that he has available isn't relevant, even though he tends to have no problem showing irrelevant portions of other videos.

And: how did that court case go?

kphoger

Quote from: In_Correct on May 04, 2021, 07:52:18 AM
It looks as Crash It ostensibly and intentionally tried to run some people off the road.

This.

Road rage is not excusable by the other driver's mistake.
Male pronouns, please.

Dirt Roads

It bears to repeat my rants on this subject:  both adaptive cruise control and autonomous control have a significant safety issue related to providing safe braking distance behind another vehicle entering traffic at an on-ramp or merge point.  It appears that both systems have been intentionally designed to mimic the qualities of traditional cruise control in this manner. 

The OP does not appear to be driving at an excessive speed in this video, but I'm seeing many more cases of folks setting their cruise speed way above the speed limit.  Then in approach to an on-ramp, one of two things occurs: (A) the offending vehicle on ACC ratchets up the speed whenever other vehicles switch lanes to make room for merging traffic; or (B) the driver of and offending vehicle on ACC intentionally switches over to the right lane after other vehicles move left to make room for merging traffic.  In both cases, the ACC requests full acceleration instead of anticipating that the merging vehicle is positioned to "take the gap". 

Sometime in the early 1980s, the driverless train industry switched over to assuming full train acceleration as part of safe braking distance calculations.  The affect of full acceleration in advance of detection of the need for brake application, and then changing the rate of acceleration over to the rate of deceleration, all results in significantly longer safe braking distances.  The same concept applies here.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 04, 2021, 07:30:58 PM
Why is this in Photos Videos, and More?

Because a narcissistic wants his channel to be viewed.

kphoger

To the OP:

Think about this.  A forum of dozens of people from all over the country, of all different ages, with driving experience ranging from relatively little to very extensive, several of whom have studied the pertinent traffic laws in detail, who bring various personalities and temperaments and worldviews to the table–almost unanimously and unwaveringly describe the circumstances you capture on video and share with us as being normal, commonplace driving situations, the sort of thing a good driver should expect to see and account for;  and, as far as I can recall, have without exception described your reactions behind the wheel as the most hazardous factor in each one we've seen.

That should give you pause and prompt you to reevaluate your outlook.  This is not just a couple of guys chatting in the break room at work.  Rather, this forum is a cross-section of those most interested in roads and driving in America.  Take the opinions expressed here seriously.
Male pronouns, please.

Crash_It

Quote from: paulthemapguy on May 03, 2021, 11:57:04 PM
This isn't the first time you've been objectively wrong.  But you're blatantly objectively wrong.  If you expect to drive with a cruise setting on an urban freeway, you don't know the first thing about driving in traffic.  If you don't know that freeway traffic has to provide a space for onramp traffic to get on, either by slowing down or moving a lane to the left, then you don't know how to drive on a freeway.  The world would probably benefit if you stopped doing both.

It is the responsibility of traffic merging to match the speed and safely fit into a gap. This simply was not the case. See this article

https://www.defensivedriving.com/safe-driver-resources/how-to-merge-into-traffic/#:~:text=How%20To%20Merge%20Into%20Traffic%201%20First%2C%20identify,change%20lanes%20at%20some%20point.%20More%20items...%20

Given that, the Illinois statute that defines it as well as what this cop that I know personally says (who.. By the way is the top cop in Lake County) the BMW driver is totally at fault.

Plus, I've taken that onramp in cars that are weaker than my current one and have not had an issue with getting up to speed. There simply was no reason for that BMW to be going so slowly and then braking other than just flat out not knowing how to drive.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.