News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Songs that Have a Highway Reference

Started by ethanhopkin14, August 05, 2021, 03:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirt Roads

That reminds me of one that doesn't quite meet the OP requirements:  The Interstate is Coming through my Outhouse, made popular in 1969 by Billy Edd Wheeler.  I also remember when Dr. Demento got on this bandwagon sometime in the mid-1970s, as my neighbor was "Hooked on Demento" and would tape the shows and bring them over for us to listen to on a miniature tape deck.  The Interstate is Coming through my Outhouse; Better make my last trip there today!

7/8

1) Talladega by Eric Church mentions I-65:
QuoteWing and a prayer down 65
Five best friends on four bald tires

2) Bud the Spud by Stompin' Tom Connors is about a trucker shipping potatoes from PEI to Toronto.

It mentions the ferry to Cape Tormentine, NB (before the Confederation Bridge was built):
QuoteHe's gotta catch the boat to make Tormentine
And he heads up that old New Brunswick line
Through Montreal he comes just a flyin
With another big load of potatoes

There's also a verse about speeding on the 401 in Ontario:
QuoteNow the Ontario Provincial Police
Don't think mucha bud
Yeah the Cops have been lookin' for the son of a gun
That's been rippin' the tar off the 401

EDIT: I thought of another one.

3) Out of Tune by Real Estate. I assume they're referring to I-95 based on them being from the NYC area:
QuoteSee the cars on the 95
Cut through them like a sharpened knife

ethanhopkin14

"Diner" by Martin Sexton mentions I-20, the New York State Thruway and I-690.

"You may find a diner out in Georgia or Carolina of the twenty by the Piggly Wiggly in the country out of Waynesboro.
Or when it's late and rainy out in New York State, you hang a louie off the thru-way and go and grab yourself a cheese-burger.
At a little gem diner.
Off the six niner.
Diner my shiny shiny love."

kphoger

The Traveling Wilburys – Tweeter and the Monkey Man

Tweeter was a Boy Scout 'fore she went to Vietnam
And found out the hard way, nobody gives a damn
They knew that they found freedom just across the Jersey line
So they hopped into a stolen car, took Highway 99

I don't believe this refers to an actual route, though.  Correct me if I'm wrong.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kevinb1994

Quote from: kphoger on August 26, 2021, 02:39:50 PM
The Traveling Wilburys – Tweeter and the Monkey Man

Tweeter was a Boy Scout 'fore she went to Vietnam
And found out the hard way, nobody gives a damn
They knew that they found freedom just across the Jersey line
So they hopped into a stolen car, took Highway 99

I don't believe this refers to an actual route, though.  Correct me if I'm wrong.
Sounds like a bunch of Springsteen references.

kphoger

Yes, the song is full of Springsteen references.  But, even though, Springsteen grew up in New Jersey, there doesn't appear to be any obvious "Highway 99" that makes sense as a nod to Springsteen, nor one that crosses "the Jersey line" at all.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kevinb1994

Quote from: kphoger on August 26, 2021, 03:47:09 PM
Yes, the song is full of Springsteen references.  But, even though, Springsteen grew up in New Jersey, there doesn't appear to be any obvious "Highway 99" that makes sense as a nod to Springsteen, nor one that crosses "the Jersey line" at all.
Johnny 99 was one of the songs off the Nebraska album.

I think that "the Jersey line"  is a mashup of sorts...I'm getting a "Promised Land"  vibe but it doesn't check all of the boxes (even that song is a mashup of sorts).

1995hoo

The song is intended to be a Springsteen parody. I'd get a kick out of it if he were to play it live someday, thing I doubt that'll ever happen.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Ned Weasel

"America" by Simon and Garfunkel mentions the New Jersey Turnpike.
"Page Avenue" by Story of the Year refers to Missouri Secondary Route D in St. Louis County.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

kphoger

Quote from: kevinb1994 on August 26, 2021, 05:00:30 PM

I think that "the Jersey line"  is a mashup of sorts...I'm getting a "Promised Land"  vibe but it doesn't check all of the boxes (even that song is a mashup of sorts).

The most likely explanation, in my opinion, is that "Highway 99" was just a great rhyme for "the Jersey line".
Male pronouns, please.

hbelkins

Not specifically applicable to the theme of this thread, but Jethro Tull's "Farm on the Freeway" is about eminent domain.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kevinb1994

Quote from: kphoger on August 27, 2021, 11:41:02 AM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on August 26, 2021, 05:00:30 PM

The most likely explanation, in my opinion, is that "Highway 99" was just a great rhyme for "the Jersey line".
Yeah sure sounds like it.

KCRoadFan

When I saw this post, I thought of "Rollin' with My Homies" by Coolio: "West 105, hit the exit on Crenshaw."

kurumi

Quote from: KCRoadFan on August 28, 2021, 01:02:29 AM
When I saw this post, I thought of "Rollin' with My Homies" by Coolio: "West 105, hit the exit on Crenshaw."

Wonder if he crossed paths with Skee-lo ("take the 110 down to the 105") tellin his homies look alive
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

JayhawkCO

One of my favorite bands to see locally.

Chris

7/8

Why Georgia by John Mayer has this verse about I-85 in Atlanta:

QuoteI am driving up 85 in the
Kind of morning that lasts all afternoon
Just stuck inside the gloom
4 more exits to my apartment but
I am tempted to keep the car in drive
And leave it all behind

7/8

Hopefully it's alright to revive this thread...

Just found out from Googling that the song "Grapevine" by Lane 8 refers to a section of I-5 north of LA. Now the lyric "91 miles to the Grapevine" makes sense. :)

mgk920

The Talking Heads had a reference to "Sleeping on the Interstate" in 'Wild Wild Life'.

Mike

Hunty2022

How did we get this far without mentioning Bottoms Up by Brantley Gilbert?

"Going 95 burning down 129, yeah"
This lyric is even on US 129's Wikipedia page!
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

kphoger

Quote from: Hunty2022 on November 04, 2022, 04:38:41 PM
How did we get this far without mentioning Bottoms Up by Brantley Gilbert?

"Going 95 rollin' down 129, yeah"
This lyric is even on US 129's Wikipedia page!

One of only two Wikipedia edits made by that IP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/72.81.227.65
Male pronouns, please.

skluth

Interstate Love Song - Stone Temple Pilots
The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy) - Simon & Garfunkel
Cross Road Blues aka Crossroads - Robert Johnson, Cream, and others - doesn't mention it specifically but is believed to be the junction of US 49 and 61.
Highway to Hell - AC/DC (not a real place but I think I've been on a few)

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

roadman65

If these have been mentioned before or not, I'm not going through 71 posts, but  there is Highway 61 in the title of a Dylan tune.  Then Rollin on the Highway by BTO is another.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

skluth

Don't know how I forgot this. There's no specific highway mentioned, but the lyrics to "Born to be Wild" start, "Get your motor runnin', Head out on the highway."

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on November 04, 2022, 06:53:54 PM
I'm not going through 71 posts, but  there is Highway 61 in the title of a Dylan tune.  Then Rollin on the Highway by BTO is another.

Just search the thread for "Highway 61".

Do you mean "Roll On Down the Highway"?  |michravera| mentioned that one.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.