News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Varieties of homoinsectum quisquiliae: Litterbug Signage

Started by formulanone, February 06, 2022, 12:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Post your signage of the "litterbug" that you've seen in the field.

(Please excuse my Latin; I just merged "human" and "insect" with "rubbish", but I believe a full taxonomy is required to make it extinct.)

Found in Tennessee...

...and apparently in St. Thomas (the island nation):

st_john_litterbug by jess barron, on Flickr

Scott5114

Where did this design come from? A Google search also turns up an instance in Metropolis, Illinois:

It's not in the MUTCD, so what could have possibly made such a bizarre design appear in so many disparate locations?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

1995hoo

I can't find a picture, but I remember when I was a little kid, New York City had signs that said, "Littering is filthy and disgusting so don't do it!" I particularly remember signs like that along the State Road between the Marine Parkway Bridge and the entrance gate for the Breezy Point Co-op.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

formulanone

Here's another variety I've seen in the field. It seems that different municipalities or counties just add their name to the bottom on the sign.

Sourced from Wikimedia Commons, photo from Thomas R Machnitzki

GaryV

I remember a jingle on TV

"Please, please don't be a litterbug
Cause every litter bit hurts."

Road Hog

Versions of the OP and first 2 replies were very prominent on Arkansas secondary roads until probably 25 years ago.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.