News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

LA removes unauthorized crosswalks

Started by Big John, May 20, 2022, 08:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big John

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/20/1100398406/la-removes-crosswalks-painted-secretive-group-promises-traffic-circle

Ninja crosswalking group paints crosswalks where they think are needed.  City is removing such unauthorized crosswalks.

kphoger

Two ironies that I notice:

1.  It appears that those are crosswalks anyway, even without painted stripes–unmarked crosswalks.

2.  The planned "better and safer intersection" spoken of is a roundabout–an intersection type that's arguably worse for pedestrians due to the fact that there's basically no predictable gap in exiting traffic.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kphoger on May 20, 2022, 08:41:58 PM

1.  It appears that those are crosswalks anyway, even without painted stripes–unmarked crosswalks.

Technically legally yes, but how often are you stopping to let someone cross at an unmarked crosswalk?  No one does what they're supposed to do.

Max Rockatansky

Crosswalk Collective LA apparently has a webpage:

https://crosswalksla.org/

hotdogPi

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 20, 2022, 09:52:41 PM

Technically legally yes, but how often are you stopping to let someone cross at an unmarked crosswalk?  No one does what they're supposed to do.

Happens quite often with me as a pedestrian. If I step from the sidewalk onto the edge of the street, cars (not always the first) will stop for me. I typically avoid doing this if I can (I wait for cars to pass first, or if they're stopped, cross behind them), but since I walk anywhere from 4 to 9 miles each day, it happens quite often.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

kphoger

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 20, 2022, 09:52:41 PM

Technically legally yes, but how often are you stopping to let someone cross at an unmarked crosswalk?

Whenever I see them.  Occasionally even where there's no crosswalk at all, just as a courtesy.

I lived without a car for enough years.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jamess

2.  The planned "better and safer intersection" spoken of is a roundabout–an intersection type that's arguably worse for pedestrians due to the fact that there's basically no predictable gap in exiting traffic.

No, they want a neighborhood traffic circle, not a roundabout.

kphoger

Quote from: jamess on May 24, 2022, 12:31:36 PM

No, they want a neighborhood traffic circle, not a roundabout.

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

I see they already have it, in fact.

https://laist.com/news/transportation/diy-crosswalks-removed-east-hollywood-ladot-pedestrian-safety
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.