News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Gas Station Fandom

Started by Max Rockatansky, May 22, 2022, 06:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on May 24, 2022, 05:23:59 PM
I am not exactly a fan of any but I do avoid certain chains that have a policy of not having restrooms for customers.  For heaven's sake, I've probably driven several hours and would like to empty my bladder at the same place I fill my car's tank.  Is that too much to ask?

Don't some chains require that as part of their branding?  I seem to recall that being a thing something Arco is supposed to have.

Scott5114

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 24, 2022, 05:27:15 PM
Quote from: kphoger on May 24, 2022, 08:55:17 AM
QuikTrip is the local religion here in Wichita.  I don't get it.

KC too. They're normally clean. The people working there are nice and actually get paid well. I tended to gravitate towards QT when I was in Kansas. Can't say it's nearly as culty as Buc-Ee's and Wawa from the sound of things though.

I used to know a guy from Tulsa and he would regularly sing the praises of QuikTrip.

We weren't allowed to have QT until recently, so here that void was filled by OnCue, which does pretty much everything QT does just as well or better.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

abefroman329

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 24, 2022, 05:31:11 PM
I am not exactly a fan of any but I do avoid certain chains that have a policy of not having restrooms for customers.  For heaven's sake, I've probably driven several hours and would like to empty my bladder at the same place I fill my car's tank.  Is that too much to ask?

Don't some chains require that as part of their branding?  I seem to recall that being a thing something Arco is supposed to have.
I can think of any number of chains that have locations in cities and don't provide public restrooms.

Although, if you're wondering if white privilege is real, walk into one with a "no public restrooms" sign and ask if they have a restroom you can use (provided you're white).

SkyPesos

Quote from: kphoger on May 24, 2022, 08:55:17 AM
QuikTrip is the local religion here in Wichita.  I don't get it.
I don't get it either. Seemed like every other gas station to me back when I lived in the St Louis area and QT's were common.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 24, 2022, 06:23:05 PM

I can think of any number of chains that have locations in cities and don't provide public restrooms.

Although, if you're wondering if white privilege is real, walk into one with a "no public restrooms" sign and ask if they have a restroom you can use (provided you're white).

My personal experience is that most urban gas stations don't want to let anyone use the restroom period.  The gist I've gotten in California is that the business owners don't want to open the flood gates for homeless people trying to use their restroom. 

One of the worst things about cities in general is finding a restroom when you need it.  Sometimes I've found myself having to find creative solutions (infer from that what you will) like I did last year while passing through Santa Barbara after hiking.

kkt

I was pretty sure Arco was one of the ones that do NOT have restrooms available.

Being in a city isn't that much of a help if I'm not from there.  I don't want to spend half an hour finding a public park somewhere that has a bathroom and then back to the highway.

KCRoadFan

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 24, 2022, 06:34:57 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on May 24, 2022, 06:23:05 PM

My personal experience is that most urban gas stations don't want to let anyone use the restroom period.  The gist I've gotten in California is that the business owners don't want to open the flood gates for homeless people trying to use their restroom. 

One of the worst things about cities in general is finding a restroom when you need it.  Sometimes I've found myself having to find creative solutions (infer from that what you will) like I did last year while passing through Santa Barbara after hiking.

When I'm on a walk and need to use the bathroom, if nothing else, I'll go into a restaurant and offer to order a soda to go. Oftentimes, they let me use theirs without having to buy anything.

Max Rockatansky

^^^

Even that's an uphill battle sometimes.  There was a fairly recent occasion where I even bought lunch at a Burger King and they still refused access to their restroom.  Fortunately there was an abandoned bridge behind the restaurant with some sight line cover.

Regarding coaxing gas station attendants into using a non-public restroom access I've found my wife can be very persuasive.  She's been able to butter up some access on occasion when I could not. 

abefroman329

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 24, 2022, 06:34:57 PMMy personal experience is that most urban gas stations don't want to let anyone use the restroom period.
Oh, I've walked into a non-zero number of gas stations with a no-public-restrooms sign, asked to use the restroom, and been shown to the restroom.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 24, 2022, 06:59:04 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 24, 2022, 06:34:57 PMMy personal experience is that most urban gas stations don't want to let anyone use the restroom period.
Oh, I've walked into a non-zero number of gas stations with a no-public-restrooms sign, asked to use the restroom, and been shown to the restroom.

The last time I can recall being granted access to a non public restroom upon asking was in 2010 in Mission Beach in San Diego.  I don't know if I just look threatening or something because it's almost universally "no."   Probably fair to mention that I do almost universally wear gym clothes while actively in transport on road trips.  I'm also fairly tall, don't really smile too much and I'm told that I have somewhat direct mannerisms. 

But, like I said above my wife (who isn't white like me) has much more success.  My wife is not an intimidating person and very approachable in contrast to me.  Even when I'm wife in general in public I've noticed more people are willing to talk to me than as opposed when I'm by myself. 

Scott5114

The only time I've been denied restroom access at a gas station was this place along US-69 in Big Cabin, OK. The guy wouldn't let me use the restroom unless I bought something. I needed to go bad enough I bought some $1.69 candy bar or something and never went back there again.

I usually do buy something after I use the restroom, since I get that upkeep of a restroom is not free, but I resented being made to make a purchase before being allowed in.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 24, 2022, 07:10:18 PM
The only time I've been denied restroom access at a gas station was this place along US-69 in Big Cabin, OK. The guy wouldn't let me use the restroom unless I bought something. I needed to go bad enough I bought some $1.69 candy bar or something and never went back there again.

I usually do buy something after I use the restroom, since I get that upkeep of a restroom is not free, but I resented being made to make a purchase before being allowed in.

With the purchase first stipulation I've never been denied entry to a restroom. 

Rothman

One time in Oakland, CA, the gas station let me use the restroom because of my appearance (clean-cut and suit) and specifically told me that it was okay for me but, as he waved towards other customers, not "them." 
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

formulanone

I think I've been denied a restroom a total of twice in my life.

One of those times, we were told "you're free to use the side of the outside wall" of the gas station, so we did. That seemed honest enough.

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 24, 2022, 07:03:17 PM
But, like I said above my wife (who isn't white like me) has much more success.  My wife is not an intimidating person and very approachable in contrast to me.  Even when I'm wife in general in public I've noticed more people are willing to talk to me than as opposed when I'm by myself. 

Female privilege.

Actually, what will make anyone let you into the bathroom is a young child.  That's like secret weapon when it comes to bathroom access.

Sometimes I've found myself having to find creative solutions (infer from that what you will) like I did last year while passing through Santa Barbara after hiking.

Truth.  I once took a dump behind this garage.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

epzik8

I like Royal Farms for their chicken and its Baltimore origins like mine, Wawa for their quesadillas and Coke Freestyle machines, Sheetz for their marketing, Rutter's for their burgers, Turkey Hill for their ice cream, and High's for sentimental reasons, as it was once my mom's go-to for gallons of milk.

As for "no restrooms", I will gladly empty my bladder on their lawn and see if they care.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on May 24, 2022, 08:57:37 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 24, 2022, 07:03:17 PM

Female privilege.

Actually, what will make anyone let you into the bathroom is a young child.  That's like secret weapon when it comes to bathroom access.

Sometimes I've found myself having to find creative solutions (infer from that what you will) like I did last year while passing through Santa Barbara after hiking.

Truth.  I once took a dump behind this garage.

I would imagine it is far easier to make the mental conclusion that a friendly looking female individual is acceptable to permit restroom access over a somewhat intimidating looking male.  I'll have to try the child card if we have my wife's nieces with us the next time something like a no-permit situation happens. 

In the Santa Barbara instance I noticed the bushes on the off ramp from US 101 to CA 150 were especially thick and provided excellent cover.  I have found in many emergency restroom situations (frequently while running) that railroad grades are very reliable place to go without being seen by anyone that cares. 

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on May 24, 2022, 08:57:37 PMActually, what will make anyone let you into the bathroom is a young child.  That's like secret weapon when it comes to bathroom access.
And you can bring damn near anything into a sporting event if you put it at the bottom of a diaper bag.

hbelkins

In the early days of the iPhone, there was an app called "Sit or Squat" that would alert you to public restrooms near your location. I'm not sure if that app still exists today, or has been updated to work with newer iOS releases, but I'm sure there's probably some sort of app dispensing similar information.

Quote from: Dirt Roads on May 24, 2022, 05:19:19 PM
I'm going to get slapped over this one, but in West Virginia it's got to be GoMart.  The ones in more rural areas have greasy fried chicken that you can smell from two miles away, and traditionally sold lots of local products such as homemade candies, pastries and (in northern parts of the state) pepperoni rolls.  It's been a few years since I've been back to West Virginia, so I don't have any clue how it is today.

You're the only person I've ever heard who expressed a fandom for GoMart. I've been in a few of them in my time, and they've ranged from spotless to feeling like I needed a shower immediately upon exiting. I once went into a fairly new one somewhere along I-79 (Jane Lew, maybe?) and was impressed. I must have really needed to go and didn't think I could make it to the Sheetz at Weston.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SSOWorld

Casey's has been one to have 2 single occupant restrooms and label by gender - what a freakin waste of resources.  if you have 2 restrooms - free for all.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SSOWorld on May 25, 2022, 09:17:30 PM
Casey's has been one to have 2 single occupant restrooms and label by gender - what a freakin waste of resources.  if you have 2 restrooms - free for all.

If it's single use occupant restroom I really don't have a ton of respect for when they aren't assigned unisex.  If there is someone in the Men's assigned room taking forever I'll slip over to the room marked Women's if it free. 

The Union 76 on CA 41 that I drive by actually has a unisex restroom inside and a portapotty for Ag workers by the pumps.  More often than not I'll just use the portapotty since there is almost never a wait versus the unisex inside.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 25, 2022, 09:22:56 PM

If it's single use occupant restroom I really don't have a ton of respect for when they aren't assigned unisex.  If there is someone in the Men's assigned room taking forever I'll slip over to the room marked Women's if it free. 

The Union 76 on CA 41 that I drive by actually has a unisex restroom inside and a portapotty for Ag workers by the pumps.  More often than not I'll just use the portapotty since there is almost never a wait versus the unisex inside.
Then you get a death glare from a woman waiting for it.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SSOWorld on May 25, 2022, 09:24:06 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 25, 2022, 09:22:56 PM

Then you get a death glare from a woman waiting for it.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't do it if there was an active line.  But if someone got offended upon my exit from a 20 second restroom break that's just too bad for them.  Considering some of what we talked about already has included pooping behind garages, peeing in bushes and using railroad grades as cover that hypothetical scenario is game by comparison. 

Also, I'm dangerously close to starting a "Urban Bathroom Emergencies"  thread given some of the stories in this thread already fit.

Scott5114

I'm generally not averse to peeing outside in a rural area (did it all the time as a kid), but I hesitate to do it in an urban area, for fear some busybody would call the cops.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 25, 2022, 09:37:19 PM
I'm generally not averse to peeing outside in a rural area (did it all the time as a kid), but I hesitate to do it in an urban area, for fear some busybody would call the cops.

I'm an avid hiker and camp frequently, so to me it has never been a big deal to use the outdoors to urinate.  The trouble in a city is like you said, who is going to see you and who would call the cops?  I picked up a lot of the good urban places to hide from view during distance running over the years (almost an inevitability an issue will occur distance running eventually).  The railroad grades are by far the best bet in an urban setting but even stuff like thick bushes or underpasses will do the trick in an emergency.  It also helps to know in the back of your head that even if someone called the police the response would not likely be instantaneous if at all. 

Bowel movement emergencies are all together different beast and way harder to find work arounds urban or otherwise.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.