News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Most recognizable accent?

Started by webny99, August 01, 2022, 04:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryV

webny99

Quote from: CapeCodder on August 03, 2022, 09:46:36 AM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on August 03, 2022, 09:16:46 AM
What exactly is a St. Louis accent?

It's more like "Traffic on Hi-Way Farty-Far is backed up to Kingshigh-way." "Make sure th'terlet don't back up, and before ye leave, WARSH yer hands!" It's like a mix of Chicago, generic upper Midwest, and the south engaged in menage-trois and the STL accent is the result.

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 03, 2022, 02:35:46 PM
It's when you drive home on Highway Farty, then warsh your hands in the zink cause they're greezy.

As described in both of these quotes, that sounds way more Southern than Midwestern. A Chicago accent has way more in common with Detroit IMO.

Meanwhile, I've heard a similar accent to this in southern Ohio/Kentucky, so maybe it's more specific to the southern portions of the Rust Belt, in which I'd include St. Louis.

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on August 03, 2022, 02:58:09 PM
As described in both of these quotes, that sounds way more Southern than Midwestern. A Chicago accent has way more in common with Detroit IMO.

It's not. There's not a southern drawl to it, there's just...odd pronunciations of certain words. Another one is "fire" sounding like "far".

If I were to transcribe a southern Oklahoma/Texas accent, which does have the drawl, I'd get "wawsh", not "warsh". ("Warsh" makes it as far west as Kansas City with some speakers, but it drops off as you go south.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JayhawkCO

There used to be a Colorado accent of sorts before the mass influx of folks from other states. One word I remember being pronounced particularly weird was "smooth" which was pronounced "smyooth".  Now it just sounds Midwestern to me.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on August 02, 2022, 09:16:57 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 02, 2022, 08:53:01 AM
Quote from: BlueOutback7 on August 02, 2022, 07:31:38 AM
I've always liked Philly's accent. Growing up traveling down that way, it's very unique. For example, water is pronounced "wooder"  sandwiches are called "hoagies"  , and you go "down the shore" .

Sandwiches; those with 2 slices of bread, are still sandwiches. Hoagies are termed subs in other parts of the country.

The Philly accent tends to make T's silent or modified, especially in the middle of the word.

I meant sub sandwiches yes. And I've heard plenty of people there pronounce salty as "saldy" .

But call a sub sandwich a "grinder" or "grindah" anywhere but New England and you'll be looked at like you have 3 heads.

Most of CT doesn't have much of an accent, except for the elimination of the glottal stop.  Think "hard hit-in New Bri-tain" where the "t" is hardly pronounced.  This same accent carries up into Western MA (pretty much west of Sturbridge).  But get out east of the Connecticut River closer to RI and you have the "Swamp Yankee" accent, where the RI influence (which itself, is almost a modified Brooklyn accent) starts to come into play. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Rothman

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 03, 2022, 05:18:51 PM
I've always liked Philly's accent. Growing up traveling down that way, it's very unique. For example, water is pronounced "wooder"  sandwiches are called "hoagies"  , and you go "down the shore" .

Sandwiches; those with 2 slices of bread, are still sandwiches. Hoagies are termed subs in other parts of the country.

The Philly accent tends to make T's silent or modified, especially in the middle of the word.

I meant sub sandwiches yes. And I've heard plenty of people there pronounce salty as "saldy" .

But call a sub sandwich a "grinder" or "grindah" anywhere but New England and you'll be looked at like you have 3 heads.

Most of CT doesn't have much of an accent, except for the elimination of the glottal stop.  Think "hard hit-in New Bri-tain" where the "t" is hardly pronounced.  This same accent carries up into Western MA (pretty much west of Sturbridge).  But get out east of the Connecticut River closer to RI and you have the "Swamp Yankee" accent, where the RI influence (which itself, is almost a modified Brooklyn accent) starts to come into play.
Heh.  We had grinders at school when I was growing up.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Takumi

The southside Virginia accent sticks out among the various southern accents. The pronunciation of the "or"  sound especially. Watch any interview with Elliott Sadler to hear it.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Flint1979

I've been around Detroit all my life and haven't ever heard of a Detroit accent. Typically it seems like people from Michigan usually talk like the rest of the Midwest. I've been told I have more of a Chicago accent than anything. One time I was sitting at a bar in Chicago (the bar is now closed) and a guy from Milwaukee was sitting next to me and another guy from Detroit was sitting next to him I think they were together but anyway they started talking about Chicago accents and I said what's a Chicago accent I've never heard of one before and the guy from Milwaukee says, you have one. I pronounce the word sausage just like a straight Southsider.

webny99

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 04, 2022, 09:15:16 AM
I've been around Detroit all my life and haven't ever heard of a Detroit accent. Typically it seems like people from Michigan usually talk like the rest of the Midwest. I've been told I have more of a Chicago accent than anything. One time I was sitting at a bar in Chicago (the bar is now closed) and a guy from Milwaukee was sitting next to me and another guy from Detroit was sitting next to him I think they were together but anyway they started talking about Chicago accents and I said what's a Chicago accent I've never heard of one before and the guy from Milwaukee says, you have one. I pronounce the word sausage just like a straight Southsider.

It's not specific to Detroit - I think the technical term would be Inland Northern. You sometimes hear it here too, but it's usually pretty mild. It's much stronger west of Cleveland, and especially in the Detroit and Chicago areas.

hotdogPi

Since nobody's said it yet: Tilde. More recognizable than the acute, grave, circumflex, macron, and many others.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

JayhawkCO

I pronounce the word sausage just like a straight Southsider.

I like syahsidges.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: 1 on August 04, 2022, 09:45:09 AM
Since nobody's said it yet: Tilde. More recognizable than the acute, grave, circumflex, macron, and many others.

But umlaut is way more punk rock.

skluth

Quote from: GaryV on August 03, 2022, 02:39:41 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on August 03, 2022, 01:28:52 PM
Classic 'Yoopertalk' is pretty distinctive

Yah, you betcha.

Much of that accent extended down to Green Bay when I was a kid. I remember hearing my dad say things like "put da dishes in da zinc" when I was growing up. My friends often ended sentences with "you know, eh". People in Green Bay back in the 60s sounded much like Ontario hockey players (or Sarah Palin) today. My nieces who grew up on Green Bay don't talk that way. It's a fairly recent thing that it's now limited to the UP.

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on August 04, 2022, 09:45:09 AM

I think the Norwegian/Swedish/Danish ring is more recognizåble.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: skluth on August 04, 2022, 01:57:21 PM
Quote from: GaryV on August 03, 2022, 02:39:41 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on August 03, 2022, 01:28:52 PM
Classic 'Yoopertalk' is pretty distinctive

Yah, you betcha.

Much of that accent extended down to Green Bay when I was a kid. I remember hearing my dad say things like "put da dishes in da zinc" when I was growing up. My friends often ended sentences with "you know, eh". People in Green Bay back in the 60s sounded much like Ontario hockey players (or Sarah Palin) today. My nieces who grew up on Green Bay don't talk that way. It's a fairly recent thing that it's now limited to the UP.

Plenty of it in northern Minnesota too.

Flint1979

Quote from: webny99 on August 04, 2022, 09:44:00 AM

It's not specific to Detroit - I think the technical term would be Inland Northern. You sometimes hear it here too, but it's usually pretty mild. It's much stronger west of Cleveland, and especially in the Detroit and Chicago areas.
Wow I clicked that wikipedia link and they have a map with red dots and Saginaw is one of those red dots and so is Rochester so we both have the red dots in our cities. The red dots are cities identified within the Inland North dialect region. I can tell a New York, Boston or Southern accent pretty easily though.

Flint1979

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 03, 2022, 05:18:51 PM

I've heard of the term grinder here in Michigan. There is a place called Mancino's it's a chain with probably 45 or so locations in Michigan. They also have locations in the other states in the region, I've seen them in Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin before. https://www.mancinospizzaandgrinders.com/

Flint1979

Whenever I say the word, "the" I say it like "da" instead of the. This has been said to be a Chicago thing as well.

GaryV

Flint1979

Quote from: GaryV on August 04, 2022, 02:42:06 PM
As in, "Da Bears".
Yeah that's probably one of the most popular ones.

Scott5114

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 04, 2022, 02:41:23 PM
Whenever I say the word, "the" I say it like "da" instead of the. This has been said to be a Chicago thing as well.

Interestingly, that's not all that off from how it's said around here, although here it's more "thuh" than "da". You pretty much never hear "the" with a long E sound.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 04, 2022, 03:40:53 PM
You pretty much never hear "the" with a long E sound.

Around here, the long E is only present if followed by a vowel sound, or sometimes if there's a long pause after it. It's universal enough here that my choir director decided one way or the other (forget which way) how to pronounce the word "the" in a specific situation where the next sound was another long E, as if we were already aware of the consonant/vowel rule in general.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on August 04, 2022, 03:44:24 PM

Around here, the long E is only present if followed by a vowel sound, or sometimes if there's a long pause after it. It's universal enough here that my choir director decided one way or the other (forget which way) how to pronounce the word "the" in a specific situation where the next sound was another long E, as if we were already aware of the consonant/vowel rule in general.

Yeah, here, there's not even that. If I bought some fruit for a trip to the beach, I could eat thuh apple next to thuh ocean, then maybe hit up thuh ice cream truck before returning home on thuh Interstate.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 04, 2022, 05:03:47 PM
Quote from: 1 on August 04, 2022, 03:44:24 PM

Yeah, here, there's not even that. If I bought some fruit for a trip to the beach, I could eat thuh apple next to thuh ocean, then maybe hit up thuh ice cream truck before returning home on thuh Interstate.

I think that's far more common in the U.S. than ever saying thee unless you're using it for emphasis.

webny99

I don't know, I feel like I use "thee" when the following word starts with a vowel quite a bit. Now I'll have to make sure to notice, but "thuh" sounds really odd in some cases, especially if the following word starts with u.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.