News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Powell

tdindy88

Found it interesting this morning to read the news about a fatal accident on I-69 in Morgan County, specifically near Banta Road (the Morgan County one, not the Marion County one.) I don't know if it's because Google Maps had it as I-69 at one point or if everyone now just thinks I-69 goes to 144 now.

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Quote from: tdindy88 on January 13, 2022, 09:10:38 PM
Found it interesting this morning to read the news about a fatal accident on I-69 in Morgan County, specifically near Banta Road (the Morgan County one, not the Marion County one.) I don't know if it's because Google Maps had it as I-69 at one point or if everyone now just thinks I-69 goes to 144 now.

Is that nearby the IN 39 exit?
Renewed roadgeek

Thegeet

When can we expect street view of the new I-69 in Martinsville?

tdindy88

Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on January 13, 2022, 11:08:11 PM
Quote from: tdindy88 on January 13, 2022, 09:10:38 PM

Is that nearby the IN 39 exit?

Well the accident was north of Martinsville, almost near SR 144, on a part of highway that is not technically part of the interstate yet.

As for the street view of I-69 through Martinsville, that will probably later this year if not later than that, I don't know how often they come through Indiana and all, but it will probably be some time.

Phone_Harold

I drove it today from Henderson Ford Road to SR 39 southbound.  It looked like both lanes going northbound was open, but just one lane for southbound until passing the original Morgan Street turnoff.

Now, had they only done this back in 1971 so I could have enjoyed it when I lived in Morgan County! :pan:

Ryctor2018

2DI's traveled: 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 24, 30, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 44, 45, 49, 55, 57, 59, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 85, 87, 88, 90, 93, 94, 95, 96

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Quote from: Ryctor2018 on January 31, 2022, 10:52:56 PM
The I-69 Finish Line page photo page is updated with the latest pics showing the opened I-69 through Martinsville.
https://i69finishline.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/SR-252-roundabout.jpg
https://i69finishline.com/photos-videos/morgan-county/

A month later, it's about time they would upload the photos.
Renewed roadgeek

silverback1065

I spoke with a designer that has knowledge about this job in Martinsville about why the mile marker signs are green and not blue. They told me that they expect them to change them to blue.

SkyPesos

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 14, 2022, 01:47:53 PM
I spoke with a designer that has knowledge about this job in Martinsville about why the mile marker signs are green and not blue. They told me that they expect them to change them to blue.
Seems like my guess about the different colors being a contractor error is correct then... Would've been weird and inconsistent (even compared to nearby stretches) otherwise.

royo6022

This thread has been kind of quiet recently...has anyone been up to the site anytime recently or heard of any major updates?
I have been following the INDOT emails however I seem to find the pictures and info on this thread much more fun and informational.
2d Interstates traveled: 4, 10, 15, 39, 40, 44, 57, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 74, 75, 76, 78, 79, 80, 81, 88, 90, 94, 95

tdindy88

Well, if anyone's interested. The new Indiana 2022 Highway Map (yes we still have one, just not a paper map) now shows the Martinsville part of I-69 completed, plus the Henderson Ford Road exit is also mentioned. Everything north of Martinsville is now categorized as under construction.

https://www.in.gov/indot/files/2022_Roadway_Map-NEW-SIZEextended-e-versionFINAL.pdf

ilpt4u

Quote from: tdindy88 on February 16, 2022, 09:00:18 PM
Well, if anyone's interested. The new Indiana 2022 Highway Map (yes we still have one, just not a paper map) now shows the Martinsville part of I-69 completed, plus the Henderson Ford Road exit is also mentioned. Everything north of Martinsville is now categorized as under construction.

https://www.in.gov/indot/files/2022_Roadway_Map-NEW-SIZEextended-e-versionFINAL.pdf
Shows the proposed ORX for I-69 also between Evansville and Henderson

And then, separate from I-69, this map still shows IN 265 for the Indiana side of the East End Crossing in Louisville. Its been a few years since AASHTO gave both Indiana and Kentucky approval for the I-265 shields on that segment, but I guess INDOT isn't in a big hurry to sign it. I really do wonder what the hold-up there is?

ITB

Quote from: royo6022 on February 16, 2022, 08:18:16 PM
This thread has been kind of quiet recently...has anyone been up to the site anytime recently or heard of any major updates?
I have been following the INDOT emails however I seem to find the pictures and info on this thread much more fun and informational.

Construction continued on Section 6 over the winter months, albeit at a slower pace. Crews, when they were able, did bridge work, sign foundations, culvert placement, and so on. After the ground has frozen, earth work becomes more difficult, although I imagine some work was undertaken and completed. In Indiana, paving with either asphalt or concrete is generally not attempted during January or February when temperatures steadily drop below freezing and often into the single digits. Besides, the batch plants typically close up for the winter as well. The construction pace will begin to pick up in March, now less than two weeks away, and will be in full swing by April.

To tide everyone over, here's a few photos from the I-69 Finish Line website. Please note these photos can be downloaded and posted with appropriate credit. Thank you INDOT! The photos were taken January 27, 2022, unless otherwise noted.

Courtesy I-69 Finish Line
The Henderson Ford Road interchange in Morgan County; looking northwest.

The view in the other direction; looking southwest.

Mainline and frontage road bridges over Stotts Creek in Morgan County; looking slightly southwest. In the deep background is the Henderson Ford Road overpass and interchange. On the left is the extension of Harmony Road, while on the right is the White River.

Another perspective; looking west.

The State Road 37/State Road 144 intersection, which will be transformed into a full interchange this year; looking north.

Another view of the intersection; looking northeast.

Installing caps on the MSE (Mechanized Stabilized Earth) wall of the north abutment of the future SR 144 overpass; looking north. Photo was taken in January 14, 2022.

The intersection of SR 37 and Banta Road, about 1/2 mile south of the SR 37/SR 144 intersection; looking southeast. To facilitate access to SR 37 while the SR 144 interchange is built, temporary traffic signals were installed at this intersection. When the interchange completes, the Banta crossing will be closed and sealed off.

The State Road 37/Smith Valley Road intersection; looking south. A full interchange will be constructed here in 2023.

The median bent and abutments of the future Southport Road overpass in Marion County; looking east. A full interchange will be constructed here.

ITB

A few more. Even though many of you have already viewed these pictures, there are undoubtedly others who have not. Photos were taken January 2022, unless otherwise noted. Again, thank you INDOT!

I-69/State Road 252 interchange in Martinsville; looking north.

[/url]
Different perspective; looking northwest.

The eastern roundabout of the I-69/State Road 39 interchange in Martinsville; looking southwest.

The partially constructed western roundabout at the SR 39 interchange, to be completed this year; looking southwest.

The intersection of the new frontage road, Southview Drive, and Burton Lane (jutting right across the frame) in Martinsville; looking northeast. The older section of Southview Drive (background) will be reconstructed this year. Burton Lane formerly intersected State Road 37 at this location.

The Teeters Road overpass just north of Martinsville; looking southeast.

Another perspective; looking southwest.

Looking south toward the Teeters Road overpass (deep background). In the foreground are the piles and center bent columns for the future Myra Road overpass. On the right is the extension of Martinsville's Morgan Street.

Looking north toward the mainline bridges over Clear Creek north of Martinsville. The Egbert Road overpass is in the background.

Shifting back to Johnson County north of the SR 37/SR 144 intersection, two recently completed frontage roads near the former SR 37/Stones Crossing Road intersection; looking south.

Another view; looking south.

The State Road 37/Fairview Road intersection in Johnson County, and a new local access, or frontage, road (left); looking north.

New mainline bridge that will carry northbound I-69 over Honey Creek just north of the future Smith Valley Road interchange in Johnson County.

In Marion County, the deck pour for the reconstructed Keystone Avenue bridge over I-465; looking northeast.

Lots of activity is underway at the County Line Road work zone in Marion County where a new interchange will be constructed. However, the only pictures I came across on the I-69 Finish Line webpage were from the the Fall. And since they had been previously posted here it seems redundant to post them again.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Having drove I-69, between Evansville and Indy, earlier today (in a driving rainstorm), why are there no control city mileage signs along I-69 NB, till one reaches Bloomington (and Ind 37)?
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

sprjus4

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on February 17, 2022, 11:44:38 PM
Having drove I-69, between Evansville and Indy, earlier today (in a driving rainstorm), why are there no control city mileage signs along I-69 NB, till one reaches Bloomington (and Ind 37)?
I believe it's because INDOT did not want to sign "Indianapolis" because I-69 technically never makes it all the way there... yet.

The SR-37 concurrency lists it because SR-37 does go to Indianapolis.

In the future, I believe they intend on adding it as a control city, once construction on I-69 is complete to I-465.

I technically don't see a reason not just to sign it, but I think that's the logic. I-69 is the way to go to Indianapolis, and in a few years will go all the way.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 18, 2022, 12:12:10 AM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on February 17, 2022, 11:44:38 PM
I believe it's because INDOT did not want to sign "Indianapolis" because I-69 technically never makes it all the way there... yet.

The SR-37 concurrency lists it because SR-37 does go to Indianapolis.

In the future, I believe they intend on adding it as a control city, once construction on I-69 is complete to I-465.

I technically don't see a reason not just to sign it, but I think that's the logic. I-69 is the way to go to Indianapolis, and in a few years will go all the way.

Not only that, but the signs along the side of the road that say 'Destination 1' - xx miles, 'Destination 2' - xx miles. There were none of those along I-69. I just felt I was "out there" with no clue* as to where any destinations (Bloomington and/or Indy).
* - between no laptop GPS (dead battery) and stormy weather requiring my total attention while driving.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

ilpt4u

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on February 18, 2022, 12:29:22 AM
Not only that, but the signs along the side of the road that say 'Destination 1' - xx miles, 'Destination 2' - xx miles. There were none of those along I-69. I just felt I was "out there" with no clue* as to where any destinations (Bloomington and/or Indy).
* - between no laptop GPS (dead battery) and stormy weather requiring my total attention while driving.
Even SB between Bloomington and Evansville there aren't destination/distance signs...But at least SB the Mile Markers clue you in to distance to the Ohio River, so only a few miles less is Evansville

Hopefully INDOT will go back and put Indianapolis and/or Bloomington as the NB Control on the "empty"  BGSs along I-69, and also update the destination signs around Evansville and add Bloomington and Indy to them, and install them along the new construction stretch of I-69 between old I-164 and SR 37

tdindy88

My thinking is that the stretch of I-69 from I-64 up to Bloomington, the first four sections, were built as cheaply as possible and that meant they had to cut corners when it came to distance signs figuring they'd get around to it later on. Also when those sections were built it wasn't yet known exactly how long the highway would be going to Indianapolis. While the SR 37 route was sort of confirmed at that point there was still a possibility that it could be changed. It was only maybe three or four years ago when Section 6 was finally confirmed, there was still a possibility that it could have been routed a little different between Martinsville and Indianapolis.

I remember looking at one of the original sign plans for Section 1 and saw they did not have any distance signs. There was a picture of a BGS at the SR 68 exit for I-69 north. The word Indianapolis was written on the sign in a ghost-like setting, indicating that it was going to be added later on. In short the signs were designed for Indianapolis to be added when the time came.

I mentioned it, or someone else did, a few months ago that there are plans for signage updates along I-69 from Evansville north Martinsville, Mile markers 0 to 134 I think. Those plans were for either 2023 or 2024. So something's going to be happening and hopefully it will involve adding the mileage signs and adding the northbound control city.

abqtraveler

Quote from: tdindy88 on February 18, 2022, 09:24:06 AM
My thinking is that the stretch of I-69 from I-64 up to Bloomington, the first four sections, were built as cheaply as possible and that meant they had to cut corners when it came to distance signs figuring they'd get around to it later on. Also when those sections were built it wasn't yet known exactly how long the highway would be going to Indianapolis. While the SR 37 route was sort of confirmed at that point there was still a possibility that it could be changed. It was only maybe three or four years ago when Section 6 was finally confirmed, there was still a possibility that it could have been routed a little different between Martinsville and Indianapolis.

I remember looking at one of the original sign plans for Section 1 and saw they did not have any distance signs. There was a picture of a BGS at the SR 68 exit for I-69 north. The word Indianapolis was written on the sign in a ghost-like setting, indicating that it was going to be added later on. In short the signs were designed for Indianapolis to be added when the time came.

I mentioned it, or someone else did, a few months ago that there are plans for signage updates along I-69 from Evansville north Martinsville, Mile markers 0 to 134 I think. Those plans were for either 2023 or 2024. So something's going to be happening and hopefully it will involve adding the mileage signs and adding the northbound control city.
There was a rest area and a couple of interchanges in the original plans for I-69 Sections 1-3 that INDOT decided to "put off until later" to reduce the cost of building those sections. They also reduced the pavement thickness in certain areas and narrowed the median width from 84 feet to 60 feet for the same reason.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

edwaleni

Quote from: abqtraveler on February 18, 2022, 10:15:41 AM
They also reduced the pavement thickness in certain areas and narrowed the median width from 84 feet to 60 feet for the same reason.

Narrowing the median reduces ROW costs, especially when upgrading a former urban arterial, but where did you pick up the pavement thickness variations and the reason?

sprjus4

Quote from: edwaleni on February 18, 2022, 03:14:38 PM
They also reduced the pavement thickness in certain areas and narrowed the median width from 84 feet to 60 feet for the same reason.

Narrowing the median reduces ROW costs, especially when upgrading a former urban arterial, but where did you pick up the pavement thickness variations and the reason?
I-69 was a new location highway.

edwaleni

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 18, 2022, 03:40:04 PM

I-69 was a new location highway.

Not entirely. Bloomington as an example.

jnewkirk77

I don't know that you'll find the quotes anywhere now, but I remember the Evansville TV stations mentioning the thinner pavement as a way to speed up the construction process.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.