News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Altered, Repurposed, Recycled, Reused

Started by vtk, July 16, 2012, 12:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtk

I couldn't find an existing thread for this topic, so here's a new one.  Here's where to post pictures of signs that have been altered, repurposed, recycled, and/or reused – and preferably are now displayed in a new location, too.  (Guide signs that have been partially changed, but not moved to a new location, are rather too common and aren't really what I had in mind for the thread anyway.)

So here's my first offering:

Wow, a 15 MPH speed limit where it was once 55 MPH – bummer!  No, considering this is at the entrance of an alley in downtown Columbus, the sign was surely posted elsewhere when it read 55 MPH.  I didn't think to look on the back for stickers, but I was a bit worn out from walking at the time. 
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

vtk

Quote from: national highway 1 on July 16, 2012, 12:58:18 AM

I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out which is supposed to be the "current" sign image, or even which way is up in the photo...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Scott5114

The KY-7 is current. I believe the image has been altered to show the US shield as up but the 7 is/was upright in real life.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Alex

Two entries from the AARoads main pages come to mind (both long gone however from the field):

This was an outline US 13 shield recycled into a conventional US 13 shield - Wilmington

The second of two cutouts that were originally posted for US 40's overlap along Interstate 295 southbound in New Jersey. The legend portion of the shield read "DELAWARE" but was superceded by "NEW JERSEY" for the installation's final location. - Penns Grove

xonhulu

This is a little different than what's been presented here so far, but here's an altered sign on OR 8 at Murray Blvd in Beaverton, OR that I find a little amusing:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Beaverton,+OR&hl=en&ll=45.489582,-122.82611&spn=0.001008,0.002642&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=37.273371,86.572266&oq=beaverton&hnear=Beaverton,+Washington,+Oregon&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=45.489599,-122.826279&panoid=V8POjF_a-iFU5R6CjD3S5g&cbp=12,170.59,,0,-4.93

The upper section once read "DMV," but that must have moved, so they greened it out and now the sign very usefully tells you that straight ahead is . . . nothing.  There is a junction with OR 10 in a few blocks ahead, which would've been logical information to replace the DMV with, but I guess no one thought of that.

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 16, 2012, 01:05:20 AM
The KY-7 is current. I believe the image has been altered to show the US shield as up but the 7 is/was upright in real life.

For the full context:

Several examples on this page:
http://www.millenniumhwy.net/oldsigns/ky/index.html

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

yes, entertainingly enough the Kentucky 7 over a US blank ended up in an orientation where neither incarnation was right side up!

here is a Vermont set

and a New Hampshire (the 89 was once a 95)

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

mefailenglish

The sticker in the bottom corner says "Up to $500 fine to steal or deface this sign. By order of Lake County Commission". 

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

formulanone

^^ Looks like the School Zone speed limit might have also changed at some point to 20 mph...A doubly-modified sign, and a colored shield to boot?   :spin:

agentsteel53

jake@aaroads.com

national highway 1

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 16, 2012, 02:08:47 PM
yes, entertainingly enough the Kentucky 7 over a US blank ended up in an orientation where neither incarnation was right side up!

and a New Hampshire (the 89 was once a 95)

Gosh, that I-93 is looking a bit hideous... (oversized '70 spec?) also the arrow for I-93 is pretty shoddy too. That I-89 arrow is a bit vertically thick, too.
Quote from: mefailenglish on July 18, 2012, 06:25:06 PM

The sticker in the bottom corner says "Up to $500 fine to steal or deface this sign. By order of Lake County Commission". 
I'd happily get a bucket of fresh white paint and give this Kodachrome shield a fresh coat of paint, now, if I weren't based across the Pacific!  :bigass: :sombrero:
I do really like Florida's Kodachrome shields. :colorful: Shame the MUTCD phased them out.  :verymad: :meh:
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

formulanone

The High Plains Traveler

"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

NE2

If that 27 is on ex-CR 561, I think it did.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Mr. Matté

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

agentsteel53

Quote from: US71 on July 18, 2012, 10:16:59 PM

Grandview, MO

wow.  I believe I count four layers there, one of which is an Iowa 32 shield.

jake@aaroads.com

US71

This is a favorite of mine (Fayetteville, AR):

Old US 71 became AR 471, but no one liked it so it was co-signed Bus 71. Approximately 2 years after that, 471 was retired.

Scott5114

Why did people have a problem with 471?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US71

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 19, 2012, 08:31:26 AM

After the 71 Freeway was built north of Fayetteville (ca. 1980), AHTD decided to rename old 71 north of Fayetteville as AR 471. There was a lot of wailing and crying from local business who feared being forgotten because no one would know 471 was old US 71. So AHTD eventually changed it to Bus 71 (aka 71B).

Alps

Quote from: US71 on July 19, 2012, 09:04:32 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on July 19, 2012, 08:31:26 AM

After the 71 Freeway was built north of Fayetteville (ca. 1980), AHTD decided to rename old 71 north of Fayetteville as AR 471. There was a lot of wailing and crying from local business who feared being forgotten because no one would know 471 was old US 71. So AHTD eventually changed it to Bus 71 (aka 71B).
Because "Fayetteville Business Dist." isn't clear. This is why Breezewood should be converted into an endless roundabout. I-76, I-70, and US 30 all interchange with free-flowing ramps. Then you have a sign saying "Breezewood businesses." It leads into a two-lane road with no exit.

national highway 1

'48 spec US 25E Tennessee:
1993 (credits to HB Elkins)

1997 (credits to HB Elkins)

2007 (credits to HB Elkins)

Feb 2010 (credits to Levente Jakab)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.