News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-465 to get entrance ramp metering lamps, also Variable speed limits.

Started by Moose, November 15, 2023, 09:08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moose

https://www.wrtv.com/news/local-news/ramp-metering-traffic-signals-variable-speed-limits-coming-to-i-465?fbclid=IwAR3AbTTwIH-UAcxJwujKiQ9y6FiFliREBf15ai1LHA3tUt3gXb4WLurTJDs

Yeah two guesses about how these abominations will work here...lol

They will likely be the most derided and ignored thing in the whole state lol.. I can't see Hoosiers dealing with these well.

Variable speed limits

"INDOT is also installing new variable speed limit signs on I-465 that will lower speeds in 5 mph increments when conditions dictate."
Yeah also to be ignored.. I 465 average speed is likely above 70 now..

INDOT has gone full mental here...

silverback1065

It's definitely not crazy. Map meters are very common. Variable speed limits not common. I think noone will follow the variable speed limit because noone follows the current speed limit  :-D. The meters will be followed eventually when people get used to them. These, in my opinion, are an in the meantime solution to deal with traffic until they have the money to widen this stretch of 465. This area will soon be the only stretch of 465 that will be 6 lanes (everywhere else will be at least 8) after all the projects in the pipeline get complete that they have announced.

Henry

I wonder if the forthcoming addition of I-69 had something to do with this?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

abqtraveler

Quote from: Henry on November 21, 2023, 09:55:46 PM
So in a year or so when I-69 is finished, all of that traffic going between Evansville and Fort Wayne will dump onto the south/east side of I-465, yet they didn't think to reconstruct and widen the stretch of I-465 between I-65 south and I-70 east.  I think the ramp metering and variable speed limits are a poor-man's solution until INDOT can find the money to get that stretch widened.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

tdindy88

Quote from: abqtraveler on November 22, 2023, 10:54:30 AM
Quote from: Henry on November 21, 2023, 09:55:46 PM
So in a year or so when I-69 is finished, all of that traffic going between Evansville and Fort Wayne will dump onto the south/east side of I-465, yet they didn't think to reconstruct and widen the stretch of I-465 between I-65 south and I-70 east.  I think the ramp metering and variable speed limits are a poor-man's solution until INDOT can find the money to get that stretch widened.

Honestly, there probably won't be THAT much of an increase in traffic. Traffic heading from Evansville to Fort Wayne are already using I-465 around the city, whether that was using US 41 to I-70 to I-465, or I-69, or SR 37. I-69 is many, many years away from being a cross-country highway and is only useful within the state primarily. On top of that southwest Indiana isn't exactly population heavy outside Bloomington and Evansville. Long story short, what you currently see for the traffic is what there is. The sudden opening of the I-69 interchange shouldn't bring a huge onslaught of new traffic on that corridor. It's going to be the same traffic already using that routing.

But yes, it is a poor-man's solution to fixing that stretch of road for the time being. Going by the recent completion of the new Arlington Ave overpass, it's coming one day, a wider I-465.

Moose

Okay I just noticed something.

Shadeland Ave southbound.
Have they lost their freaking minds!

That is an expressway to expressway connection.

That isn't some exit ramp you have to turn on at a slow speed, that is a 55mph+ former state road that is near interstate standards (former Indiana 100), and it approaches on a curve. It doesn't have a intersection light feeding traffic down ether.

This is the makings of a bloodbath of butt banger accidents, I am sorry, but I will be blatantly disregarding this signal.

silverback1065

Quote from: Moose on November 22, 2023, 09:42:04 PM

That isn't some exit ramp you have to turn on at a slow speed, that is a 55mph+ former state road that is near interstate standards (former Indiana 100), and it approaches on a curve. It doesn't have a intersection light feeding traffic down ether.

This is the makings of a bloodbath of butt banger accidents, I am sorry, but I will be blatantly disregarding this signal.

the AADT for that wrap is just 10,700 vpd, which is essentially the same as the AADT of the US 40 on ramp, heck the Emerson on ramp has a higher AADT than both at over 14k. It's not going to be a big deal, the meters will run during rush hour only, and it won't really be possible to disregard it when most everyone will be regarding it. these will be adequately signed like they do anywhere else they are in the country.

sprjus4

I-105 / I-405 in California near LAX says hello.

JREwing78

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 23, 2023, 02:33:30 PM

the AADT for that wrap is just 10,700 vpd, which is essentially the same as the AADT of the US 40 on ramp, heck the Emerson on ramp has a higher AADT than both at over 14k. It's not going to be a big deal, the meters will run during rush hour only, and it won't really be possible to disregard it when most everyone will be regarding it. these will be adequately signed like they do anywhere else they are in the country.

The US-14 west on-ramp to Madison, WI's Beltline Hwy is essentially this setup, with similar traffic levels. There's no "bloodbath" from the ramp meters.

The Ghostbuster

I remember when the first ramp meters were installed along the beltline in 2001. There are a lot fewer ramp meters along the beltline than I think there should be, but maybe as time goes on more will be installed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.