News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NJ - 295/76/42 Construction Projects

Started by jeffandnicole, January 23, 2013, 09:21:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Thanks for capturing that photo Dan.  I was going to take a few of the curved steel pieces that are slightly in front of the ones in your pic, except 295 was jammed up from a lane closure.  I bailed at Exit 26.

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on November 16, 2014, 09:11:45 PM
Nice photos.  I'm kind of surprised NJDOT went through the trouble of doing a rendering of what the Bell Road overpass would look like from that perspective - kind of a minor element and not that much different than before for drivers on the bridge.  I'm hoping to get down that way soon to take a look at the progress.

They created several renderings of most of the affected "local" areas, which I guess were used to show the local towns how the various changes would appear.  This one indeed was minor - the bridge is a few feet higher than it was but otherwise not a big deal.  The most dramatic ones (IMO) show 295 hovering over Browning Rd. 

danlb_2000

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 18, 2014, 07:40:56 PM
Thanks for capturing that photo Dan.  I was going to take a few of the curved steel pieces that are slightly in front of the ones in your pic, except 295 was jammed up from a lane closure.  I bailed at Exit 26.

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on November 16, 2014, 09:11:45 PM
Nice photos.  I'm kind of surprised NJDOT went through the trouble of doing a rendering of what the Bell Road overpass would look like from that perspective - kind of a minor element and not that much different than before for drivers on the bridge.  I'm hoping to get down that way soon to take a look at the progress.

They created several renderings of most of the affected "local" areas, which I guess were used to show the local towns how the various changes would appear.  This one indeed was minor - the bridge is a few feet higher than it was but otherwise not a big deal.  The most dramatic ones (IMO) show 295 hovering over Browning Rd.

They set the first two pieces of steel last night. They start at the end of the ramp and the other end is currently held up by temporary supports.

jeffandnicole

I saw those beams there, but from my view on 295 I thought they were just on trucks.

Using http://511nj.org/Cameras.aspx#, select Route 42 Tour, then NJ 42 at Leaf Ave.  If the camera is facing 42 North, you may be able to see the future beams when they are installed over Rt. 42.  Currently, the camera is zoomed out, but without the leaves on the trees it gives a good view of both Rt. 42 and I-295 North in the area.

danlb_2000

Here is a very poor quality picture of the new steel beams in place.

danlb_2000

The steel for the new ramp now extends out over 42, but doesn't connect to the support in the median yet.

jeffandnicole

The steel, shown above but now completely across the NB Rt. 42 lanes, will now be placed over SB Rt. 42.  Unlike the northbound side where traffic was detoured overnight utilizing the ramp seen to the right which paralleled 42 and provided easy access back to 42 (which was I-76 West at that point), the southbound side will feature traffic stoppages of about 15 minutes when the beams are placed over the highway.

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/about/press/2015/010515.shtm

ekt8750

I just drove through there last night. There's a few beams up now and a couple staged near Creek Rd and others up around the 130 interchange. I'm surprised at how quickly that ramp has gone up.

danlb_2000

jeffandnicole

Aerial photos from NJDOT of the construction project.  Dan and I only wish we could get some of these same views!

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/commuter/roads/rt295/photoscontract1.shtm

danlb_2000

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 09, 2015, 12:32:22 PM
Aerial photos from NJDOT of the construction project.  Dan and I only wish we could get some of these same views!

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/commuter/roads/rt295/photoscontract1.shtm

I guess we need to invest in a drone. :)

jeffandnicole

A few of the overhead signs ready to go up on 295 North approaching the 42/76 interchange (apologies for the blurriness!). It also features the first '2 Mile Ahead' sign for the interchange. The signs themselves are new but temporary; within a few years the lane configuration will be vastly different.

jeffandnicole

A few pics of the sound wall support studs and the beginning of the installation of the sound barrier panels. This is on the same overpass shown in the Nov. & Dec. pics above, and will eventually be the overpass for the 295N to 76W ramp. The first pic (taken on 295 North) was taken several days prior to the 2nd & 3rd pics (as seen from Rt 42).

jeffandnicole

Approximately 3 months of frequent traffic shifts to be expected north of Rt. 42 towards the area of Rt. 168...

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/about/press/2015/061215b.shtm

noelbotevera

My family are going to Atlantic City in about one week (with a stop to visit my brother's friend in New York City), and I'll be able to see the I-295/I-76/NJ-42 construction and this construction. I'll update this after my roadtrip.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

danlb_2000

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 13, 2015, 11:05:54 PM
A few pics of the sound wall support studs and the beginning of the installation of the sound barrier panels. This is on the same overpass shown in the Nov. & Dec. pics above, and will eventually be the overpass for the 295N to 76W ramp. The first pic (taken on 295 North) was taken several days prior to the 2nd & 3rd pics (as seen from Rt 42).

There has been a lot of progress on that new ramp and the lanes leading up to it recently. The paving is done from Creek Road all the way up to the new ramp, and the guard rails and sound barriers are going in. Doesn't look like it will be to long before this opens.

jeffandnicole

New overhead signage. This one has a slight obstruction issue:

This one I'm trying to figure out if there will still be an Exit 26 & 27, or just Exit 27. 500 Feet puts it at the exit 26 ramp. The signs themselves are over to the right as traffic will be shifted to the right shortly, using the new overpasses over Rt. 42.

Zeffy

Is the stroke width on the '2' and the 'L' in the first photo extremely thick or is it just a capture error? The second photo has those really tiny shields you see on I-295 approaching I-195 (or was that vice-versa?). The third sign, however, is the best of the bunch.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jeffandnicole

I think it's just a camera/reflection issue for that first photo. Here's a shot I took the other day much closer to the sign without the tree in the way; you can see here there's no issues with the font:

In the 2nd photo, that sign you refer to is one of the many temporary ground mounted signs; almost all of them had some sort of issue or were designed to be modified.  The Express/Local barrier was removed several months ago, but the signage was never modified.

The 3rd photo is simply a close up of the 2nd photo.

danlb_2000

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 30, 2015, 01:20:39 PM
New overhead signage. This one has a slight obstruction issue:

This one I'm trying to figure out if there will still be an Exit 26 & 27, or just Exit 27. 500 Feet puts it at the exit 26 ramp. The signs themselves are over to the right as traffic will be shifted to the right shortly, using the new overpasses over Rt. 42.

I looks like 26 goes away in the final configuration, so there will no longer be an express exit to 76.

jeffandnicole

I believe Exit 26 becomes the new ramp to Rt. 42 South, and Exit 27 is exclusively for 76 West.

However, what's a little confusing at this point is that all the other new overhead signage still use Exit 26 with any mention of Exit 27 until the last overhead gantry as shown above, so unless someone didn't get the memo, Exit 26 & Exit 27 remain for a while.

danlb_2000

ekt8750

jeffandnicole

"You got 499 feet to make up your mind"

(Zeffy...make up a sign with that.  :-D)

Zeffy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 01, 2015, 03:32:59 PM
"You got 499 feet to make up your mind"

(Zeffy...make up a sign with that.  :-D)

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jeffandnicole

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.