News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NJ - 295/76/42 Construction Projects

Started by jeffandnicole, January 23, 2013, 09:21:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danlb_2000

I noticed this morning that the asphalt went down on the new interim ramp from 42 North to get to 295 North, this is coming along quicker then I expected. This alone will be a welcome change as it will alleviate a lot of the weaving that happens now with traffic coming up from the southern portion of 295.

NJ-Surveyor

Quote from: danlb_2000 on November 14, 2013, 07:34:24 AM
I noticed this morning that the asphalt went down on the new interim ramp from 42 North to get to 295 North, this is coming along quicker then I expected. This alone will be a welcome change as it will alleviate a lot of the weaving that happens now with traffic coming up from the southern portion of 295.
That ramp has to be opened by either the 4th or 15th depending on who you talk to.

J Route Z

Will  there be a ramp built from I-295 northbound to Route 42 southbound?

jeffandnicole

Someday.  It's a separate project and won't be done as part of the main interchange reconstruction project. Currently they are looking at a construction period of 2016-18.

danlb_2000

I noticed three of these along the side of the Al-Jo curve the other day, anyone know what these are?

DeaconG

Quote from: danlb_2000 on November 19, 2013, 05:03:36 PM
I noticed three of these along the side of the Al-Jo curve the other day, anyone know what these are?

Noise barriers?
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

danlb_2000

hbelkins

Pre-formed culverts or drainage structures, then.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jeffandnicole

I didn't pass by that trailer, but it kinda looks like a prefabbed jersey barrier that one would place on top of a vertical retaining wall. In fact, it may have been installed on 295 South just north of Exit 26 (I-76). But then again, it was fairly dark at that time so I didn't get the greatest of views.

Nevermind...drove by it today again, and it definitely wasn't that.

NJ-Surveyor

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 20, 2013, 06:54:15 PM
I didn't pass by that trailer, but it kinda looks like a prefabbed jersey barrier that one would place on top of a vertical retaining wall. In fact, it may have been installed on 295 South just north of Exit 26 (I-76). But then again, it was fairly dark at that time so I didn't get the greatest of views.

Nevermind...drove by it today again, and it definitely wasn't that.
They were box culvert

jeffandnicole

This weekend (well, Sat night and Mon night due to the expected snow/rain Sunday evening), they'll be restriping the interchange area where 295 North meets 42 North/76 West, preparing for the end of the dangerous weaving condition that has existed for decades merging between the 2 highways, along with the end of the 76 West Express/Local lane division.  The curve on 295 coming away from Rt. 42 has been widened...and it looks like they're preparing for some fast driving!  Instead of chevrons, they posted numerous overturning truck warnings.  This area will become 3 lanes shortly, which will be: Left lane: Exiting traffic from 295 North to 76 West, along with continuous traffic for 295 North (such as the current 295 South to 42 South setup is now). Middle Lane: The current right lane on 295 North.  Right Lane: The new acceleration lane from 42 North to 295 North.  This lane will end beyond the area shown in the 2nd picture below.

Interesting to note as well...nearly all the 35 mph speed limit signs are now missing on the northbound curves.  Out of 3 on 295 approaching the interchange, only 1 remains (and that's propped up against a tree).  In the area shown in the pics above, one 1 of the 2 signs remain.  A little unusual for them to not put up temp signs in the construction zones.

hbelkins

Think there are enough "trucks may tip over" signs on that ramp?

Seems like overkill to me.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jeffandnicole

Ironically, if history continues, it'll be the cars that'll skid and wipe out the signs.  The chevrons that formerly lined the curve had a tendency to not last all that long.

Zeffy

Quote from: hbelkins on December 07, 2013, 05:04:23 PM

The beauty of the chevron is that it can be placed over and over again without looking gaudy. This? This looks straight ugly.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

NJRoadfan

It would have been cooler if the signs made an animation of the truck slowly tipping over. :P I wonder why after all these years, they didn't separate I-295 from the through lanes.

Alps

Quote from: Zeffy on December 07, 2013, 07:17:36 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on December 07, 2013, 05:04:23 PM

The beauty of the chevron is that it can be placed over and over again without looking gaudy. This? This looks straight ugly.
This looks amazing, to me. I love completely absurd signing situations.

danlb_2000

They opened the left lane on that ramp over the weekend and it was a mess this morning! It looks like the intended to have the old right lane closed, but a bunch of the construction barrels were knocked over and a couple of the bases where sitting in the middle of the lane. I was actually in the right lane when I noticed that it suddenly "ended", barrels were along the lane and it wasn't plowed.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 07, 2013, 02:34:53 PM
This weekend (well, Sat night and Mon night due to the expected snow/rain Sunday evening), they'll be restriping the interchange area where 295 North meets 42 North/76 West, preparing for the end of the dangerous weaving condition that has existed for decades merging between the 2 highways, along with the end of the 76 West Express/Local lane division.  The curve on 295 coming away from Rt. 42 has been widened...and it looks like they're preparing for some fast driving!  Instead of chevrons, they posted numerous overturning truck warnings.  This area will become 3 lanes shortly, which will be: Left lane: Exiting traffic from 295 North to 76 West, along with continuous traffic for 295 North (such as the current 295 South to 42 South setup is now). Middle Lane: The current right lane on 295 North.  Right Lane: The new acceleration lane from 42 North to 295 North.  This lane will end beyond the area shown in the 2nd picture below.

Interesting to note as well...nearly all the 35 mph speed limit signs are now missing on the northbound curves.  Out of 3 on 295 approaching the interchange, only 1 remains (and that's propped up against a tree).  In the area shown in the pics above, one 1 of the 2 signs remain.  A little unusual for them to not put up temp signs in the construction zones.

NJ-Surveyor

Interim Ramp AA (Rt-42 to I-295 North) is scheduled to be opened sometime next week. It will be one lane, until the final second lane is constructed soon thereafter.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: NJ-Surveyor on December 11, 2013, 04:51:03 PM
Interim Ramp AA (Rt-42 to I-295 North) is scheduled to be opened sometime next week. It will be one lane, until the final second lane is constructed soon thereafter.

Isn't it supposed to be 1 lane until the permanent 2nd lane is built several years down the road?

danlb_2000

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 11, 2013, 06:06:00 PM

Isn't it supposed to be 1 lane until the permanent 2nd lane is built several years down the road?

That ramp isn't part of the final design. Eventually there will be a ramp connecting 42 north directly to the new 295 main line. That's why they are calling this an "interim" ramp since it will be there through most of the construction phases but will be removed before the end of the project.

I am actually surprised to hear that this will be opening next week since they seem to still have a lot of work to do around the end of the ramp, although I do see the new, permanent retaining along 42 N is coming along quickly.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: danlb_2000 on December 12, 2013, 07:38:55 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 11, 2013, 06:06:00 PM

That ramp isn't part of the final design. Eventually there will be a ramp connecting 42 north directly to the new 295 main line. That's why they are calling this an "interim" ramp since it will be there through most of the construction phases but will be removed before the end of the project.

I am actually surprised to hear that this will be opening next week since they seem to still have a lot of work to do around the end of the ramp, although I do see the new, permanent retaining along 42 N is coming along quickly.

Yeah, I kinda wrote my comment wrong...that final ramp is going to have a nice incline from 42 up to the 295 overpass!  That's what I thought too about all the work that appears to be necessary in that same area of the ramp.  These storms we have received...with another one coming Saturday, can't be good for keeping things on schedule either!

I did see that wall going up there the other day. I missed it this morning as I had to go another way to get gas.

danlb_2000

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 12, 2013, 09:01:37 AM

Yeah, I kinda wrote my comment wrong...that final ramp is going to have a nice incline from 42 up to the 295 overpass!  That's what I thought too about all the work that appears to be necessary in that same area of the ramp.  These storms we have received...with another one coming Saturday, can't be good for keeping things on schedule either!

I did see that wall going up there the other day. I missed it this morning as I had to go another way to get gas.

According to the plans it appears that the 42 N to 295 N ramp will go under the 295N to 42N ramp. I assume they are going to have to raise the 295N to 42N ramp to accommodate this.

I have some picture of the new retaining wall, will post them tonight.

danlb_2000

Here's a picture of the new retaining wall going up along 42N. Sorry for the poor quality.

jeffandnicole

Bids for Contract #2 (of 4) for the 295/76/42 project were opened today. The lowest bid of $152.6 million is quite a bit under the estimate of $215 million. The 2nd lowest bid is about $15 million greater than the lowest bid.

NJ-Surveyor

The deadline for Interim Ramp A is Monday morning. If you need to go from RT42 to I295 NB stay in the far right lane to access the ramp after the Creek Rd overpass. You will not be able to get on I295 after that point. The weave area will be blocked with barrier. In my opinion if they open it in time the Monday morning commute will require some patience as people are surprised with the new configuration.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.