News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

"Classic" Google Maps to disappear forever

Started by SignGeek101, April 14, 2015, 06:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaBigE

Quote from: SSOWorld on April 16, 2015, 01:25:04 PM
You have to remember for engineers - the motto isn't "if it ain't broke don't fix it", it's actually "if it ain't broke, it don't have enough features yet" ;)

Disagree. Engineers are usually the ones having to fix all the grandiose ideas initiated by someone else. I'd place the blame on sales people and marketing not doing their research.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Truvelo

It needs Microsoft to bring out a super dupe version of Bing Maps and then Google will be forced to respond with something decent :pan:
Speed limits limit life

US 41

It's forcing me to use the new google maps. RIP Classic Google Maps.  X-( :-(
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SignGeek101

rickmastfan67

Quote from: US 41 on April 16, 2015, 08:44:23 PM
It's forcing me to use the new google maps. RIP Classic Google Maps.  X-( :-(

Still have the classic here for now.

ajlynch91

If Bing had anything close to resembling the street view that Google did, I would never use Google Maps for anything, that being said I'm going to sorely miss Classic Maps, I can't bring myself to use the new maps...

Billy F 1988

Google's just like YouTube. They don't give a crap about what you say to them, even if you told them to keep the classic version. They just flat out shunt you. Just nothing a bunch of low class bots and a handful of humans having a go at this crappy "new" version, which, by the way, isn't "new" in my book.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on April 19, 2015, 11:12:19 PM
Google's just like YouTube. They don't give a crap about what you say to them, even if you told them to keep the classic version. They just flat out shunt you. Just nothing a bunch of low class bots and a handful of humans having a go at this crappy "new" version, which, by the way, isn't "new" in my book.

You realize that Google has owned YouTube for something like eight years, right?

Dr Frankenstein

I've haven't actually had an issue with dragging a route and adding waypoints with the new version in quite a while (though it did lack proper support for that in its first weeks). In fact, I used the "new" Google Maps to plan the entire Quebec City road meet last summer, and just saved the resulting URL for reference.

Billy F 1988

Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 19, 2015, 11:30:31 PM

You realize that Google has owned YouTube for something like eight years, right?

Uh, I KNOW they do, not just realize they do. Realizing and knowing are two different things and I emphasize again, the "new" version isn't new to me.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

jakeroot

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on April 20, 2015, 07:35:51 PM
Uh, I KNOW they do, not just realize they do.

Obligatory Scrubs gif:

sry m8, i do not understand

algorerhythms

"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns — the ones we don't know we don't know. And if one looks throughout the history of our country and other free countries, it is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones" -- Donald Rumsfeld

bugo

It simply won't work on my computer in Firefox. I'm going to keep trying to use Classic Maps using the non-US domains, and when it completely quits working I'll switch to another map provider. What is a good alternative to Google? Mapquest? Bing?

jakeroot

Quote from: bugo on April 22, 2015, 12:35:51 AM
It simply won't work on my computer in Firefox. I'm going to keep trying to use Classic Maps using the non-US domains, and when it completely quits working I'll switch to another map provider. What is a good alternative to Google? Mapquest? Bing?

Google is still the best. Don't kid yourself.

bugo

Quote from: jakeroot on April 22, 2015, 12:38:33 AM

It doesn't work on my fucking computer, son.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

bugo

If it won't run on a 64 bit Windows 7 installation then there's something wrong.

wxfree

In that situation I'd use Bing for maps and get aerial photography and Street View through Google Earth.  I can use the new Google Maps, but until they make it suck less that's probably what I'll do.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

freebrickproductions

Google Maps "Lite" actually works pretty well. The only things I don't like about it is that you can't default to satellite view and you can't view the old street view images. Other than that, it doesn't lag as much and loads things rather fast. If they implemented the ability to view old street view images or default the map view to satellite, I'd happily swap over to Google Maps Lite. Hell, when the old Google Maps disappears, I'll probably go to the "Lite" version.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Brandon

My ass.  I've found Bing to be better at directions, and now at printing.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jakeroot

Quote from: bugo on April 22, 2015, 05:40:11 AM
If it won't run on a 64 bit Windows 7 installation then there's something wrong.

Probably, yeah. Have you had a teenager look at it? :-D

Quote from: Brandon on April 22, 2015, 11:39:19 AM

My ass.  I've found Bing to be better at directions, and now at printing.

Better at directions as long as you can make out the roads. I've never seen such low quality maps.

kkt

Quote from: algorerhythms on April 22, 2015, 12:20:14 AM
"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns — the ones we don't know we don't know. And if one looks throughout the history of our country and other free countries, it is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones" -- Donald Rumsfeld

Rumsfeld should have written Sir Humphrey's part in Yes, Minister.

english si

Quote from: kkt on April 22, 2015, 01:01:11 PMRumsfeld should have written Sir Humphrey's part in Yes, Minister.
Sounds a lot more like Bernard explaining to the Minister.

Humpy would need at least twice that space to get his point across, with far longer sentences and little bits of Latin dropped in.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on April 20, 2015, 07:35:51 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 19, 2015, 11:30:31 PM

Uh, I KNOW they do, not just realize they do.

My point is that Google isn't like YouTube, Google is YouTube.  From your post it sounded like you were comparing two different entities.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.