News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Crazy things you've found in Google StreetView

Started by rickmastfan67, April 07, 2010, 03:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: Troubleshooter on March 21, 2023, 01:33:28 AM
I once found a murder scene on the satellite photos. I have no idea where it was now.

Was it related to the murder of Kevin Barrera in Oakland, California?

https://www.cbsnews.com/sanfrancisco/news/google-maps-captures-scene-of-richmond-murder/

D-Dey65

Today I found a signage error at the southeast end of the US 27-129 overlap east of Branford, FL;
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.952365,-82.8610276,3a,15y,103.76h,91.09t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0yiTZICylmPIdWgswLMAxg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en
That arrow for CR 49 should be pointing in the opposite direction.

andrepoiy

CNGL-Leudimin

Due to privacy concerns I cannot say why I know this photo was taken exactly on 2023 April 5 at 1:24 p.m. CDT :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

PurdueBill

On the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, they managed to catch a VMS in mid-installation, with a worker waving to the car even.
https://goo.gl/maps/EU7AWvsY2zmd3Xaq7

CNGL-Leudimin

With Street View finally extending through Germany starting next month, let's go through one of many examples of "Blurmany"... except it's La France :sombrero:.

In the same country, Mr. Google finally got to drive the new N52 near Metz et voilà, another blood collect banner was captured. This is the third one I find in Rombas, on the same roundabout as one of the other two, and even better, I already knew it was going to take place thanks to the local television through their YT channel.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Scott5114

I generally support the existence of privacy laws to curb the excesses of big tech companies, but extending it to imagery that could be captured by a roadgeek with an ordinary camera is just stupid.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 13, 2023, 07:52:39 PM
I generally support the existence of privacy laws to curb the excesses of big tech companies, but extending it to imagery that could be captured by a roadgeek with an ordinary camera is just stupid.
Literally 1984 (or whatever other thing someone who didn't read 1984 would say).
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

7/8

Quote from: LilianaUwU on June 13, 2023, 09:53:24 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on June 13, 2023, 07:52:39 PM
Literally 1984 (or whatever other thing someone who didn't read 1984 would say).

CNGL-Leudimin

Well, I believe France requires prisons, nuclear power plants and anything military-related to be blurred. This can also be seen in satellite imagery, most noticeably when the surrounding areas are in 3D. Switzerland is worse in that aspect, they won't allow any images taken near schools to be published, resulting in many coverage gaps. I think that is downright stupid.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on June 14, 2023, 03:20:28 AM
Well, I believe France requires prisons, nuclear power plants and anything military-related to be blurred.

I believe so as well, even in Paris, such as here, where the "Hexagone Balard," the French equivalent of the Pentagon, is almost comically blurred out despite being located on a major street in a major metropolis.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

CtrlAltDel

I don't know if I'd call it crazy, but I have found my car on Street View:

State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

MATraveler128

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 15, 2023, 11:23:59 PM
I don't know if I'd call it crazy, but I have found my car on Street View:

Interesting story. My old car I bought from a used dealer in Lowell and I actually found it on Street View about a week before I bought it at the dealer.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

kphoger

I have found my car on Street View

Is that unusual?  When I look at my place of business in GSV, my car is right there in the parking lot (on four different dates).
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: kphoger on June 16, 2023, 10:00:35 AM
I have found my car on Street View

Is that unusual?

Well, it was a first for me, so I was pretty jazzed about it.

dlsterner

I don't know if I'd call it crazy, but I have found my car on Street View

I have an interesting twist on that ... I found my (previous) car on Street View historic imagery - but it was 1000 or so miles from home!

It was parked at my mother's house during a visit to her (the date on the image matches that of one of the trips).

Since then I've seen my (current) car parked at my workplace on GSV, but that is unremarkable.  I would not expect to see my car at my house since I garage it.

Michael

On Monday, I came across imagery with a red tinted sky on Milton Ave in Camillus, and after looking at the date I saw it's from June 2023, so that means it's the smoke from the Canadian wildfires that drifted to NY a few weeks ago.

bwana39

Quote from: STLmapboy on September 14, 2020, 07:06:21 PM
Here's another swollen river on GSV. This time it's the Sulphur, below I-30 near Texarkana.

I know this was a couple of years ago, but I have seen it significantly higher....
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

D-Dey65

I've been looking at a lot of Rockland, Orange, Northern Westchester and Putnam County stuff lately, especially around Bear Mountain State Park and West Point (mind you this was before the flash floods earlier in the week). At Bear Mountain State Park, there are a few small GSV images that are supposed to be in the fields west of the Bear Mountain Inn and south of Hessian Lake. With one of them, I instead got this land bridge along the Appalachian Trail, which was probably wiped out in the floods.

D-Dey65

Back in 2012, somebody was trying to sell a 1969-70 Chrysler 300 coupe at the South Ferry on Shelter Island, New York.

I hope the owner got lucky, as well as whoever many have bought it from them.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: D-Dey65 on July 25, 2023, 06:56:09 PM
Back in 2012, somebody was trying to sell a 1969-70 Chrysler 300 coupe at the South Ferry on Shelter Island, New York.

That sucker is clean!!

plain

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 26, 2023, 10:50:17 AM

That sucker is clean!!

Yes!!! And rare!!
Newark born, Richmond bred

ethanhopkin14

jakeroot

Quote from: plain on July 26, 2023, 12:08:36 PM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 26, 2023, 10:50:17 AM

That sucker is clean!!

Yes!!! And rare!!

One of my favorite things to do on Street View is look around places that have "clear" 2008 or 2009 imagery (not that blurry stuff most places have), and look at all the cars that are now very rare or were junked under cash-for-clunkers. Or just things that were still semi-common that are now very rare.

Lots of cool cars have been lost to time.

Molandfreak

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.