News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Your "Signature" Thread

Started by CoreySamson, March 03, 2022, 04:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ran4sh

Quote from: Rothman on March 03, 2022, 06:54:14 PM
I don't start threads.

Me neither. There's only one thread I've started, "States with discontinuous Interstate networks" https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=28630.0 . Referring to states like NV where I-15 and I-80 both enter, but there's no way to get from one to the other without either going off Interstates or leaving the state.

If I started a control city thread it could end up as a "signature" thread if only because my opinions about what places should be control cities seem to be very different than most other forum members.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on March 03, 2022, 07:09:04 PM

Quote from: kphoger on March 03, 2022, 06:57:36 PM

Quote from: Bruce on March 03, 2022, 05:08:37 PM
The COVID thread, before it got locked.

Ah, that was you.  I couldn't remember.  I knew it was one of the members from the west coast area, but I didn't remember which one.  For some reason, I would have guessed |bing101|, actually.

That one is actually a pretty easy find: just sort the Off-Topic board by descending replies, and it's right on top and probably will be for a while.

Well, yeah, I know I could have searched for it.  But I couldn't remember.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Good grief...  Search for Jonathan Winkler's threads, and they're ALL signature threads!  Well, probably 85% of them, anyway.

If I had to choose one for him, it would be this:  Pushing the MUTCD envelope: arrow-per-lane diagrammatics

But here's the opposite:  a thread I'd never have guessed was started by him, How many (and which) airports have you passed through?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Mapmikey

Pretty sure mine is this one even though I didn't start it Can anyone identify this mystery interchange

I feel like I've made plenty of interesting findings that were helpful to others' research or neat discoveries presented within this forum but the linked thread has to be the winner insofar as impact.

Bruce

Quote from: kphoger on March 03, 2022, 06:57:36 PM
Quote from: Bruce on March 03, 2022, 05:08:37 PM
The COVID thread, before it got locked.

Ah, that was you.  I couldn't remember.  I knew it was one of the members from the west coast area, but I didn't remember which one.  For some reason, I would have guessed |bing101|, actually.

Yeah, I only started it because we had the first reported US case way back in January 2020. It was at a local hospital and the local spread had already been well underway for weeks according to later research.

jakeroot

Quote from: Mapmikey on March 03, 2022, 08:04:19 PM
Pretty sure mine is this one even though I didn't start it Can anyone identify this mystery interchange

I feel like I've made plenty of interesting findings that were helpful to others' research or neat discoveries presented within this forum but the linked thread has to be the winner insofar as impact.

I agree with your assessment. Any time I see that Radiohead album or hear a song off it, I think of that thread and how I was there to witness the interchange discovery. I still maintain that you're the most famous AARoads user thanks to your discovery.

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on March 03, 2022, 04:58:02 PM
Quote from: kphoger on March 03, 2022, 04:55:13 PM
Are we all agreed that Scott's is this?

If limited to threads created by that user, yes. However, there is and is not one that he took over (especially since the OP got banned).

I also started the road sign city name photo game (which spawned the similar street name one).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: jakeroot on March 04, 2022, 12:30:59 AM

I agree with your assessment. Any time I see that Radiohead album or hear a song off it, I think of that thread and how I was there to witness the interchange discovery. I still maintain that you're the most famous AARoads user thanks to your discovery.

We did have Jeopardy champion Ken Jennings become a member, though he was here to ask a specific question and had no further use for the board once he got what he was looking for.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Scott5114

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 04, 2022, 02:52:15 AM

We did have Jeopardy champion host Ken Jennings become a member, though he was here to ask a specific question and had no further use for the board once he got what he was looking for.

FTFY

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 04, 2022, 04:55:45 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 04, 2022, 02:52:15 AM

We did have Jeopardy champion host Ken Jennings become a member, though he was here to ask a specific question and had no further use for the board once he got what he was looking for.

FTFY
Pfft.  People know him more for being the champ.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

Technically, he's not "the host." He's "hosting Jeopardy."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SectorZ

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 04, 2022, 08:07:50 AM

Yeah I'm getting more and more confused by that. Meanwhile Mayim is making herself forgotten because she's too busy filming a sitcom with cats that nobody is watching.

kevinb1994

Here, on off-topic, is my "Culver's"  thread. I'm glad it's nearby. Even though it's generally fast-food and we don't eat there often (not that that's a bad thing, of course).

If we go for more specifics in "off-topic" , I'll use the "Sports"  board as an example of an interesting coincidence.

"NBC Sports Network shutdown"  thread and "Bears' investigation into a potential new stadium"  are somewhat up there in ranking. Both have the exact same number of replies, but with other stats added, the "network shutdown"  thread is somewhat higher.

I have a Page 2 hit on the Travel board..." Oldest Eatery/Restaurant in your area/region" .

Fictional Railroads was my thread in "Mass Transit" .

On the "SE"  board, I asked a question about an old alignment of US 92, and since I live in Florida now, it makes me wonder just how many old alignments are out there.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SectorZ on March 04, 2022, 08:25:37 AM

Yeah I'm getting more and more confused by that. Meanwhile Mayim is making herself forgotten because she's too busy filming a sitcom with cats that nobody is watching.

Tell that to my wife...

1995hoo

Quote from: SectorZ on March 04, 2022, 08:25:37 AM

I think what it means is that last year they announced Jeopardy would have two hosts: Bialik and Richards. She was to host prime-time episodes and other special events, he was to host the regular syndicated program. Richards then resigned. Rather than replace him, they've been bringing in Jennings as a "guest host." Last season, they just said "here is the guest host of Jeopardy, [name]." Not sure why they changed the style this year, but I believe the use of "hosting Jeopardy" reflects someone who has not (yet) been hired as a permanent host.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Scott5114

The dude stands behind a podium and chides people if they don't answer in the form of a question. To me, that makes him the host of Jeopardy!, even if he hasn't conducted whatever arcane consecration rituals from the Book of Fleming the current producers seem to feel is necessary to get the title.

US 89

I... almost never start threads. Apparently I've created three in the past entire year.

However, the most-replied thread that I started is probably the one about the farthest latitude and longitude you've been to. Although Rothman kind of took that over...

Rothman

Like I said, I don't start threads...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on March 04, 2022, 11:32:23 PM
Like I said, I don't start threads...

But still "own" at least two.  :D

MATraveler128

I don’t create many new threads, but my signature thread so far is over in the Off Topic section about discontinued snack items. It is the most viewed thread I’ve created and has the most replies.

Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

dlsterner

I really don't start threads.  In fact, I think I have only started one - my "introduction" thread in the "Welcome!" board.

My first (and probably only) thread started.

7/8

Quote from: dlsterner on March 05, 2022, 01:47:47 PM
I really don't start threads.  In fact, I think I have only started one - my "introduction" thread in the "Welcome!" board.

My first (and probably only) thread started.

Looks like you have one other thread: Ask Me Anything about I-97. You can see a person's threads by going to their profile > Profile Info > Show Posts > Topics.

Big John

I have started 9 threads (I didn't think it was that high).  Most action was an Amtrak thread: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=28944

snowc

I rarely start threads.
But If I do, I try keeping it at a minimum. I had one post back in April 2021 that was locked due to it being offtopic.
That was the Liberty Lime drink that was available at Zaxby's which I had spotted at my local Zaxby's in Lillington.
I took a six month break due to this, and came back in August, before disappearing in November 2021.
I had another post which was locked due to it becoming heated and that was to delete my account.

andrepoiy

I don't think I have one: my threads usually don't do too well

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.