News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Routes that overlap their own bannered routes

Started by Takumi, June 09, 2012, 01:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takumi

In Petersburg, VA, US 460 and its business route have a brief overlap eastbound, when both are on the C/D road for I-95 southbound at exit 50. In Victoria, VA, VA 40 has a posted truck route to avoid a bridge, and part of this is a wrong-way concurrency with mainline VA 40. How many other routes have something similar to these?
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman65

How about US 41 and US 41 Alternate in Nashville?
How about US 9 and NY 9A in the Bronx?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Quote from: Takumi on June 09, 2012, 01:23:03 PM
In Victoria, VA, VA 40 has a posted truck route to avoid a bridge, and part of this is a wrong-way concurrency with mainline VA 40.
40 and 40 Truck don't overlap. The only possible co-signage (though I can't find it on GSV) is heading southeast from the 40-49 intersection, where trucks on 49 south going to 40 west have to use 40 east. But this isn't actual 40 Truck, since trucks following 40 through Victoria won't hit this intersection.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

TheStranger

The most famous one I can think of: US 19 with US 19 Truck in Pittsburgh.
Chris Sampang

Takumi

Quote from: NE2 on June 09, 2012, 02:09:56 PM
40 and 40 Truck don't overlap. The only possible co-signage (though I can't find it on GSV) is heading southeast from the 40-49 intersection, where trucks on 49 south going to 40 west have to use 40 east. But this isn't actual 40 Truck, since trucks following 40 through Victoria won't hit this intersection.

I went though there in January and got a few pictures of it, which is why I brought it up in the OP. The signage for it looked pretty new, so maybe the GSV car hadn't been there in awhile.

The "Truck Route" banner is mostly cut off in the first photo but you can see the bottom of it:

Don't @ me. Seriously.

NE2

Those signs are correct, since trucks heading southbound on SR 49 go straight to reach SR 40 west. That doesn't mean SR 40 Truck begins anywhere but the last photo.

Takumi

OK, I see your point more clearly now. It's been a really long day for me. (Thanks, random city official who turned on the tornado sirens at midnight when there was no bad weather in the entire state!)

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Alps

MA 122 and MA 122A plex in Worcester, as do 2 and 2A (signed) at least once. (I'm not counting unsigned or assumed plexes in Mass.)

PurdueBill

If we are counting "A" routes, not just ones with Business, Alt, Truck, etc. as a separate plate, then how about US 3 and NH 3-A (or 3A, pick whichever sign you like) south of downtown Manchester, which have a wrong-way multiplex!  NB and SB, on a due-east/west street.

abc2VE

Quote from: Takumi on June 09, 2012, 08:01:45 PM
(Thanks, random city official who turned on the tornado sirens at midnight when there was no bad weather in the entire state!)[/color]

I was asleep an had my windows open when it went off.

Mapmikey

VA 254 Truck is 100% duplexed with VA 254.  The point is to keep trucks from using US 11 Business as a short cut to VA 254 west out of downtown Staunton.

On paper US 301 ALT NB is duplexed with US 301 NB at its northern reaches but I don't think there's any signage showing that.

There was also the inexplicable US 15-15A duplex from Walterboro to Laurinburg way back when.

From 1948-53, US 29 had a duplex with US 29-A in Concord NC. 

The current NCDOT Edgecombe County map shows US 64 and 64 ALT duplexed in Tarboro.  As best I can tell it is not posted in the field this way.

Mapmikey

corco

english si

I've never really understood why so many states don't want to duplicate numbers (even at opposite ends of the state), nor the USx I-x in the same state isn't to be allowed rule, likewise the dislike of suffixed routes, yet you have all sorts of bannered routes intersecting and even (as is the subject of this thread) sharing roadspace with their parent.

It's not very confusing with business interstates (or some combo of USx, state route x and I-x), what with their shields being a ifferent colour. However, given how anal various rules about keeping routes with the same number, but different shields, well away from each other it's certainly hypocrisy to allow bannered routes at all.

It's worse with bannered US and state routes, which don't have different shields (though you can't confuse I-35W and I-35E, or OK9 and OK9A too easily - suffixed numbers help rectify the problem - having an [Alternate], [Bypass] or [Business] sign above the shield would be far worse).

</rant about something that has always bugged me about US numbering>

Eth

Quote from: english si on June 10, 2012, 12:08:54 PM
It's worse with bannered US and state routes, which don't have different shields (though you can't confuse I-35W and I-35E, or OK9 and OK9A too easily - suffixed numbers help rectify the problem - having an [Alternate], [Bypass] or [Business] sign above the shield would be far worse).

Or you could always pull a Georgia and put the "banner" inside the shield.  Can't read 3" text at highway speed?  Sucks to be you!

froggie

Even better:  there are about 2 blocks of Huntington Ave in Newport News, VA where one is on both eastbound US 60 and westbound US 60 at the same time.  Reason for this is, due in part to I-664, there's no direct connection from 26th St to Warwick Blvd, so westbound US 60 must go "around the block" with eastbound US 60.  Google Maps erroneously shows westbound US 60 on 28th St instead of 26th.

deathtopumpkins

US 1 and MA 1A overlap from Newburyport to Salisbury. It is fully signed.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.