News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Why is the a dash between "NJ" and "Tpk"?  It's not the New Jersey - Turnpike.

Or is PA telling something they can access New Jersey, Turnpike, & New York?

deathtopumpkins

Just a note, it's generally helpful to quote the original post you're referring to when the post is 4 days old and over half a page back in the thread, and the conversation has generally moved on.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Roadsguy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 24, 2012, 12:39:09 PM

Typo?

Unlikely. Generally you only see "PA Turnpike" instead of just "Turnpike." The fairly new (as in, not dark green and text-only :P) BGSes southbound on US 1 approaching the Turnpike are an exception.

Also, there's no space before and after the hyphen, like there is between "Turnpike" and "New York."

"NJ-TPK - NEW YORK"
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

national highway 1

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 24, 2012, 12:07:32 PM
Quote from: doorknob60 on August 23, 2012, 10:40:20 PM
Just drove by this one today, caught my attention. It's on US 26 in Mt Vernon, OR (West of John Day). Didn't get a picture myself but grabbed a good one from Google Maps:

20, 26, and 95 seem to be the most frequently mismade US shields.  that district must be extra sloppy, because I've also seen US-27 in that general area.
Also from Oregon is this disasterous, mismade US 97 shield, posted earlier by Chris (xonhulu)
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3521.msg158066#msg158066
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

vtk

Quote from: Roadsguy on August 24, 2012, 07:06:16 PM

Typo?

Unlikely. Generally you only see "PA Turnpike" instead of just "Turnpike." The fairly new (as in, not dark green and text-only :P) BGSes southbound on US 1 approaching the Turnpike are an exception.

Also, there's no space before and after the hyphen, like there is between "Turnpike" and "New York."

"NJ-TPK - NEW YORK"

Reminds me of a sign for Industrial Parkway (old US 33) in Union County, Ohio which for some reason includes a hyphen: Industrial-Pkwy
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

xonhulu

Quote from: doorknob60 on August 23, 2012, 10:40:20 PM
Just drove by this one today, caught my attention. It's on US 26 in Mt Vernon, OR (West of John Day). Didn't get a picture myself but grabbed a good one from Google Maps:

It's been there for a few years; I have a photo of it from 2010.

And there is absolutely nothing unusual about that kind of error in Oregon.  Head south on US 395 to Burns; there, you'll see several assemblies with state route shields for both 395 and 20:

This summer, I saw my first ever OR 30 mistake, near Westport between Astoria and Clatskanie:

hbelkins

That US 68/KY 80 segment is fairly new. I suspect contractor error on those signs, especially since the signpost is U-channel. KYTC no longer uses U-channel posts.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

doorknob60

Quote from: xonhulu on August 24, 2012, 09:32:21 PM
[And there is absolutely nothing unusual about that kind of error in Oregon.  Head south on US 395 to Burns; there, you'll see several assemblies with state route shields for both 395 and 20:

Yeah, drove through there last month, those bugged me, and they're all over the place in that town :P

EDIT: Also, is it just me or in the original picture (with OR 26), do the numbers look different on the N and S 395 shields? Seems like they take up more space in the southbound one to me. Maybe they're both correct (I have no idea), but they should be consistent on the same assembly.

Quote from: national highway 1 on August 24, 2012, 08:04:11 PM
Also from Oregon is this disasterous, mismade US 97 shield, posted earlier by Chris (xonhulu)
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3521.msg158066#msg158066

And that one, I haven't seen that one in person, but I would assume (and hope) that that is not ODOT's sign :P, maybe the county or something? Though assuming it is in Deschutes county, I've never seen any other bad shields put up by them, but maybe I'm not looking hard enough. Either way, that one is so bad that it's good :P

national highway 1

Meanwhile in neighboring Idaho, with the highway that connects the north with the main southern part of the state.
(credits to Corco)
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

xonhulu

Meanwhile, in Idaho's neighbor Utah from a few years back (I'd be shocked if these were still up):

Brandon

Slightly inaccurate as you get on IL-56 to get to I-88 East.

But, at least IDOT is consistent in being wrong.  :ded:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Scott5114

I take it the error is that 56 is not actually east?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Brandon

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 26, 2012, 01:12:11 AM
I take it the error is that 56 is not actually east?

The error is that IL-56 begins here, and that you are on IL-56, not on "TO IL-56".  The signs should read, to be accurate, "EAST IL-56 TO I-88 EAST".  The ground signage actually says this.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

texaskdog

Quote from: xonhulu on August 25, 2012, 10:51:51 PM
Meanwhile, in Idaho's neighbor Utah from a few years back (I'd be shocked if these were still up):

DUDE, I took one of this on the trip because I was shocked.  Was going to post it today.  It is still up as of 8/14/12!!!

Scott5114

Quote from: texaskdog on August 27, 2012, 02:05:24 PM
I took one in New Mexico of US 60/70/84 posted as state highways. Can't figure out how to post the pic here or I would.

1. Go to http://imgur.com. Click Computer, then select your image.
2. After the image is displayed, look to the right and select the code that begins with "[IMG" ...
3. Copy and paste that into a post here.

agentsteel53

Quote from: texaskdog on August 27, 2012, 02:05:24 PM
I took one in New Mexico of US 60/70/84 posted as state highways. Can't figure out how to post the pic here or I would.

all on the same gantry? dang.  I must have missed that in my exploration of Clovis.

I have seen (all on different gantries in various parts of the state), state route shields for US 54, 60, 64, and 82.  I believe I saw a 285 as well but would have to review my photos.

this has been around for years in Lordsburg

when US-80 was decommissioned, a brief segment of it (well west of Lordsburg) was designated NM-80.  this segment just had a blind search-and-replace done on the old US-80 shields.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

texaskdog

Thanks Scott.  This was right inside the New Mexico border from Texas, on the US highways. 

1995hoo

In the vein of misplaced hyphens or dashes, this sign used to be located on I-295 in the District of Columbia but was removed within the past year or so due to much-needed reconstruction. Picture from AARoads.com.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

apeman33

The latest in a series of orange sunflowers posted on detour routes (and it always seems to be K-47 that gets them)

vtk

Reminds me of: On I-270 at the cloverleaf with US 33 on the southeast side of Columbus, the exit gores have orange signs about 8'×4', where the left half is a huge black-on-orange-on-black US 33 marker, and the right half is an upward-rightward pointing black arrow on orange.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

hbelkins

On Kentucky Avenue in Norton, Va.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

route56

Quote from: apeman33 on August 28, 2012, 04:34:22 PM
The latest in a series of orange sunflowers posted on detour routes (and it always seems to be K-47 that gets them)

FTR, they were previously spotted in 1999 by Scott:

And in 2000 by Me:

Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

Central Avenue

I wonder why it's always K-47...
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

xonhulu

How exactly do the orange K-47's fit in this thread?  I've seen plenty of situations where they use an orange version of a route shield to indicate a detour or construction zone. 

I will grant you that the first two photos with the white directional banner look a little odd, but that's pretty minor, imo.  I'd be willing consider them unusual or interesting, but unless the detour they're indicating is wrong, they're hardly "erroneous."

Scott5114

Could be that these are the exact same signs being reused in different work zones.

I actually sort of like the idea of temporary/detour routings being marked in orange, actually.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.