News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelbotevera

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8010761,-77.8794034,3a,15y,150.17h,99.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sif5TQAbCnw6oN5LxZKVE9g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

This sign says Left Turn at Park Avenue, but it shouldn't be this far from the road itself. Also, the left arrow is misleading, as that leads into a wooden fence and not a road.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

tdindy88

So I was wrong with my previous statement, it's a little bit easier to find erroneous signs in Indiana after all, on the same day no less. This is along US 27/SR 67 north of Portland. I suppose its karma for Richmond screwing up that 35/38 sign previously.

JoePCool14

Seems like an easy fix, don't even need green-out. Just add a quick line of white-out and it'll be good to go.  :spin:

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

theFXexpert

1995hoo

Passed this today walking from the Smithsonian Metro stop to my wife's office at the Watergate. There are two errors here, three if you feel "any time" should be two words. (Hint: I was in Washington, DC.)

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Zeffy

Is one of the errors DC isn't technically a state, but a federal district created out of lands donated by Maryland and Virginia? They could've just used D.C. LAW instead there.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

1995hoo

Quote from: Zeffy on March 11, 2016, 09:06:32 PM
Is one of the errors DC isn't technically a state, but a federal district created out of lands donated by Maryland and Virginia? They could've just used D.C. LAW instead there.

Correct, that is the more obvious of the errors. In fairness, I believe the sign was probably posted by the National Park Service given its location (just off Lincoln Memorial Circle on the road that connects down to Rock Creek Parkway), so they probably just slavishly followed the MUTCD. I doubt this sign reflects the District trying to call itself something it's not.

noelbotevera

I believe that they write out "PEDESTRIANS" and not use a symbol.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Mapmikey

My guess at the second error is that DC requires stopping for peds instead of yielding?

Mike

paulthemapguy

Another US/State shield mix-up.  This one is US12 westbound just off of I-5 in Washington.  Fresh off my trip to the NW

Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

jakeroot

Quote from: noelbotevera on March 11, 2016, 10:38:42 PM
I believe that they write out "PEDESTRIANS" and not use a symbol.

All the ones I'm familiar with have symbols. Either way, that's not really an error.

What direction is the sign facing, 1995hoo? It looks to be facing the road perpendicularly.

Eth

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 11, 2016, 08:44:20 PM
Passed this today walking from the Smithsonian Metro stop to my wife's office at the Watergate. There are two errors here, three if you feel "any time" should be two words. (Hint: I was in Washington, DC.)

[sign]

Yielding to pedestrians in a no stopping/standing zone seems like it could be a bit of a challenge.

CNGL-Leudimin

Also, he was in the District of Columbia, so a State Law would have no effect.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

1995hoo

Quote from: Mapmikey on March 11, 2016, 11:13:27 PM
My guess at the second error is that DC requires stopping for peds instead of yielding?

Mike

This is correct. It should say DC law and Stop for Peds.

DC signs normally use the stop sign graphic and a pedestrian symbol, but I've seen some DC signs that incorrectly use the word "TO" between those two icons, which is obviously a grammatical error/absurdity.

roadfro

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 11, 2016, 10:14:02 PM

Correct, that is the more obvious of the errors. In fairness, I believe the sign was probably posted by the National Park Service given its location (just off Lincoln Memorial Circle on the road that connects down to Rock Creek Parkway), so they probably just slavishly followed the MUTCD. I doubt this sign reflects the District trying to call itself something it's not.

Another not-so-obvious error has nothing to do with the sign design, but its posting location. These types of signs are only supposed to be used in the roadway at the crosswalk (on a center line or lane line, or on a small median in the roadway), and are not to be post mounted on the left or right side of the roadway.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

1995hoo

Quote from: roadfro on March 12, 2016, 01:24:23 PM

Another not-so-obvious error has nothing to do with the sign design, but its posting location. These types of signs are only supposed to be used in the roadway at the crosswalk (on a center line or lane line, or on a small median in the roadway), and are not to be post mounted on the left or right side of the roadway.

Heh. DC routinely violates that.

jakeroot

For mid-block crossings, absolutely. But what about traffic turning right at a traffic light? Seattle posts these signs a lot when the turns aren't fully protected, many strung by wire above the intersection near the right-most signal head.

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 12, 2016, 05:28:38 PM

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c378/1995hoo/Road%20sign%20pictures/DF953EB8-D966-43B8-A77D-F344F3CCC541_zpsv4xkng9d.jpg

"STOP to Pedestrians/Bikes"?

roadfro

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 12, 2016, 05:28:38 PM

I was referring to the previously posted sign, vertical "State law yield to pedestrians within crosswalk". That is specifically named as 'In-Street Pedestrian Crossing sign" in the MUTCD, and is typically installed in such a way that it can be knocked down by a vehicle and spring back up.

The "Turning Vehicles Yield to Peds" sign you posted is intended to be post-mounted.

Quote from: jakeroot on March 12, 2016, 05:34:59 PM

For mid-block crossings, absolutely. But what about traffic turning right at a traffic light? Seattle posts these signs a lot when the turns aren't fully protected, many strung by wire above the intersection near the right-most signal head.

The MUTCD specifically prohibits use of the in-street/overhead pedestrian crossing signs at signalized intersections.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

UCFKnights

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 12, 2016, 11:24:46 AM
Quote from: Mapmikey on March 11, 2016, 11:13:27 PM

Mike

This is correct. It should say DC law and Stop for Peds.

DC signs normally use the stop sign graphic and a pedestrian symbol, but I've seen some DC signs that incorrectly use the word "TO" between those two icons, which is obviously a grammatical error/absurdity.
Why do those signs get the words "STATE LAW" but no other sign?

Mapmikey

Quote from: UCFKnights on March 14, 2016, 07:59:33 AM

Why do those signs get the words "STATE LAW" but no other sign?

North Carolina has signs with STATE LAW - https://goo.gl/maps/b2YthLGopmL2

Texas has the STATE LAW to obey warning signs - https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=9637.0

Most states post their version of the 'move over for emergency vehicles' sign with the words state law in it...

Mike

jakeroot

Quote from: roadfro on March 12, 2016, 08:16:09 PM
The MUTCD specifically prohibits use of the in-street/overhead pedestrian crossing signs at signalized intersections.

Seattle has been using pedestrian crossing signs at signalized intersections for quite some time. They probably didn't get the memo:

jbnv

Quote from: jakeroot on March 14, 2016, 02:32:36 PM

Seattle has been using pedestrian crossing signs at signalized intersections for quite some time. They probably didn't get the memo: <snip>

Not that it would change the MUTCD, but perhaps it would make more sense to use a red ball rather than the STOP octogon.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

spooky

Quote from: jbnv on March 14, 2016, 03:02:33 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on March 14, 2016, 02:32:36 PM

Seattle has been using pedestrian crossing signs at signalized intersections for quite some time. They probably didn't get the memo: <snip>

Not that it would change the MUTCD, but perhaps it would make more sense to use a red ball rather than the STOP octogon.

I disagree. Red and green balls used on signage at signals tell you what you can or can't do during that indication. A red ball telling you what to do during a green indication would be confusing.

Ian

Me, Steve, and Lou came across this one yesterday on I-78 eastbound in Allentown; a PA Turnpike 476 shield. There were several of them going east and one going west (approaching exit 53).

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

SignGeek101

Quote from: Ian on March 14, 2016, 10:31:39 PM
Me, Steve, and Lou came across this one yesterday on I-78 eastbound in Allentown; a PA Turnpike 476 shield. There were several of them going east and one going west (approaching exit 53).

'New Jersey' is a pretty vague and poor control city. Maybe Bethlehem would be better? Of course, that sign is a copy of the button copy sign that was there just a months prior.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.