News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLRoads

Somehow U.S. 75 got transplanted to Florida:

New signs have been going up as part of a forever-long widening project along SR 64 in east Bradenton. Not only do we have an abundance of SR 64 reassurance markers now after each road intersection, shopping center, and subdivision entrance, but now we have our own set of U.S. 75 shields. Every other shield assembly on the approach to I-75 has been correct, sans this new one that apparently went up last night. I will be curious to see how long this error stands, as I am not going to let FDOT or the sign company know of their mistake. I will just have to pretend that I am preparing to merge on the U.S. 75 freeway somewhere as I pass by it in the morning on my way to work! haha

Zeffy

Quote from: flaroads on January 25, 2014, 02:10:03 PM

How do you confuse an Interstate route with a US Highway route? Especially in this case, where an I-75 SOUTH BGS is clearly visible in this instance.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

hotdogPi

Sign in Massachusetts for NH 107. Not MA 107.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

formulanone

Quote from: flaroads on January 25, 2014, 02:10:03 PM

...now we have our own set of U.S. 75 shields.

That's the first time I've seen an Interstate-to-US shield goof in Florida. Although I've seen all sorts of other variants (CR -> SR, SR -> US, US -> SR).

hotdogPi

MA 114 on the Lawrence/North Andover border. A long time ago, this was the Essex Turnpike, not the Salem Turnpike (which is MA 107).

Google Street View does not have a good picture of this sign. It's the best I could get. It says "SALEM TRNPK".

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

PHLBOS

Quote from: 1 on January 25, 2014, 04:03:13 PM

Sign in Massachusetts for NH 107. Not MA 107.
That one's debatable.  Since the BGS is clearly a MassHighway-spec'd (vs. NHDOT) type due to its gantry location; they (MassHighway/DOT) are not necessarily under obligation to fashion a NH-style shield for a one-off neighboring NH-state route that doesn't cross the border.

Another thread exists elsewhere covering how states sign routes from adjacent states and I believe that this particular BGS was mentioned.

Quote from: 1 on January 26, 2014, 07:40:53 PM
MA 114 on the Lawrence/North Andover border. A long time ago, this was the Essex Turnpike, not the Salem Turnpike (which is MA 107).

Google Street View does not have a good picture of this sign. It's the best I could get. It says "SALEM TRNPK".

It's actually erroneous because the current street name for that stretch of 114 in that area is Winthrop Ave. (northwest of Waverly Rd.) & Turnpike St. (southeast of Waverly Rd.) regardless of the street's historical names.

As far as having 2 different roads bearing the same Salem Turnpike name is concerned; if the 2 stretches of MA 107 & MA 114 named as such were not located in the same county, I don't believe there was any issue. 

Truth be told, while that stretch was originally named the Essex Turnpike when it was fiirst built; it was later renamed as the Salem Turnpike.  Not sure when it lost its Salem Turnpike name to its current Turnpike St. & Winthrop Ave.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman65

Being that US 9 is closed to the Beeslys Point Bridge, which incidentally SB from here, should not have the sign in the back round for US 9 South then.  So indeed it it is erroneous.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

doogie1303

And of course one of the biggest mistakes ever:

The road numbers are correct, but these sign were erected in Massachusetts, not Alabama.

Here is the whole story, it's about ten years old, but I still laugh at it.
http://www.wsfa.com/story/3642053/alabama-road-signs-in-massachusetts

Zeffy

Quote from: doogie1303 on January 31, 2014, 04:55:26 PM

The road numbers are correct, but these sign were erected in Massachusetts, not Alabama.

Blaming the MUTCD? That's a first. Maybe they should've asked MassDOT before they assumed...

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

theline

I like my theory better: whoever was requesting the sign had to choose a state from a drop-down menu on his computer. The state defaulted to the first, which is AL. The operator either forgot to select a state or it got reset somehow.

This happened to me once when I was ordering merchandise from a Canadian company. I fumbled the state selection and the package was addressed to South Bend, AL. Since I got the zip code right, the package arrived in Indiana with no trouble.

vtk

Quote from: theline on January 31, 2014, 06:46:20 PM
This happened to me once when I was ordering merchandise from a Canadian company. I fumbled the state selection and the package was addressed to South Bend, AL. Since I got the zip code right, the package arrived in Indiana with no trouble.

When I see a state dropdown I usually can just tap my O key and Ohio is selected, being the first O choice.  This is how I once accidentally gave my home address as being in Oaxaca on a hotel reservation form.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Zeffy

Quote from: vtk on January 31, 2014, 11:13:38 PM
When I see a state dropdown I usually can just tap my O key and Ohio is selected, being the first O choice.  This is how I once accidentally gave my home address as being in Oaxaca on a hotel reservation form.

New Jersey doesn't have that advantage.  :-/ 
Quote from: theline on January 31, 2014, 06:46:20 PM
I like my theory better: whoever was requesting the sign had to choose a state from a drop-down menu on his computer. The state defaulted to the first, which is AL. The operator either forgot to select a state or it got reset somehow.

I like that theory too, it's just that I find it funny that someone thought the drawing in the MUTCD was what he was supposed to make, and didn't bother to read the section on trailblazers. Or maybe he could've double checked with MassDOT. A circle would've probably been better, considering it's not the outline of a state on the other side of the country.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: Zeffy on February 01, 2014, 12:38:40 AM
considering it's not the outline of a state on the other side of the country.

Last I checked, Alabama and Massachusetts were very much on the same side of the country.  :spin:

(Sorry, I had to.)

Zeffy

Quote from: Kacie Jane on February 01, 2014, 02:21:36 PM
Last I checked, Alabama and Massachusetts were very much on the same side of the country.  :spin:
(Sorry, I had to.)

North/South-wise, not East-West-wise. That better?  :-P

roadman65

Quote from: Zeffy on January 31, 2014, 04:59:17 PM

Blaming the MUTCD? That's a first. Maybe they should've asked MassDOT before they assumed...
This one is as funny as the erroneous PA 183 shield on US 206 NB in Roxbury, NJ for NJ 183.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

It's actually much funnier.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on February 01, 2014, 03:53:16 PM
It's actually much funnier.
The PA 183 shield was... odd, at least. Pointing it out to NJDOT crew members from the Mt. Arlington office as we drove under it... I was only 20 at the time, don't hit me.

theline

Quote from: Zeffy on February 01, 2014, 02:25:48 PM
Quote from: Kacie Jane on February 01, 2014, 02:21:36 PM
(Sorry, I had to.)

North/South-wise, not East-West-wise. That better?  :-P
Liberal/conservative-wise too.  :)

CNGL-Leudimin

[pic erased]

It reminds me of those Ohio shields which where in place of US ones... in Kansas!
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

KEK Inc.

God, we should start a thread for exit numbers on the wrong side.  I can list a ton.

Half of Cowlitz County signs in Washington qualify.  The split for CA-1 and I-280 in San Francisco.
Take the road less traveled.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: KEK Inc. on February 11, 2014, 02:38:36 AM
Half of Cowlitz County signs in Washington qualify.

I had thought so too, but I think it's a case of the errors sticking in our minds and not noticing the ones they do tab correctly.  Sometime last year, I made a point to pay attention to the tabs while driving to Portland, and I only counted three errors.  (I believe it's Exit 46 that has one in each direction; I don't recall where the third error was.)

Zeffy

apeman33

Quote from: roadman65 on February 01, 2014, 03:09:27 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on January 31, 2014, 04:59:17 PM

This one is as funny as the erroneous PA 183 shield on US 206 NB in Roxbury, NJ for NJ 183.

A long while back, I had pics I took of Ohio 400 signs in Kansas on U.S. 400.

Katavia

Found a sign goof at the I-85 @ US 29/US 601. Sorry that I don't have a photo.

Once you're on the I-85 N Exit 58 collector-distributor lanes, the sign where US 29/601 South exits off has a sign goof on the top part of the sign "US 29 US 601 NORTH - Second Right", but US 601 doesn't exit onto US 29 NORTH. It actually continues onto I-85 N and merges. It's fixed on the second sign where only US 29 continues into Kannapolis.
I don't know if the sign goof is on the I-85 southbound C-D lanes.
(Former) pizza delivery driver with a penchant for highways.
On nearly every other online platform I go by Kurzov - Katavia is a holdover from the past.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.