News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on October 12, 2023, 09:58:39 PM
Always best to avoid doing signage during Intercourse.

At least they left room on the street for everyone to pull out.

CovalenceSTU

This curve sign in Oakland, OR somehow got flipped when bridge construction started:

kphoger

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on October 12, 2023, 09:58:39 PM
Always best to avoid doing signage during Intercourse.

Always best to avoid signing in the middle of Intercourse.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

https://maps.app.goo.gl/xmkVBrMzvgcVDUoZ9
I-287 does not lead to US 46.  The exit road leads to both via I-80 Exit 43. The TO should be above both I-287 and US 46.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/2g9SmREeykohKhw9A
Again the same mistake on I-80 on the Beverwyck Road overpass.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

https://maps.app.goo.gl/RifztXhttCRQMxyf6
TN SR 319 should have a triangular shield and not a TN primary shield as it's part of the secondary route series. Plus it's the only shield of this kind as others are triangular.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on October 24, 2023, 04:52:30 AM
TN SR 319 should have a triangular shield and not a TN primary shield as it's part of the secondary route series. Plus it's the only shield of this kind as others are triangular.

File that one under the "will lead zero people astray" category, I suppose.

Where do you look to find out if a TN route is primary or secondary?  What's your source?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: kphoger on October 24, 2023, 09:54:57 AM

Where do you look to find out if a TN route is primary or secondary?  What's your source?

The TDOT highway maps, I'd assume.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

roadman65

No different than NY signing US routes with NY Route shields.

However TN uses the triangle for TN 319, so this is an error here. Although there are some numbers that use both designations along the route depending on what nature the highway serves at a given point.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on October 24, 2023, 08:14:09 PM

No different than NY signing US routes with NY Route shields.

However TN uses the triangle for TN 319, so this is an error here. Although there are some numbers that use both designations along the route depending on what nature the highway serves at a given point.

Sure there's a difference.  There is only one TN 319.
Male pronouns, please.

roadman65

https://maps.app.goo.gl/N9Q3A1ccG1pN3KAz6
TN 58 gets the triangle near Lookout Mountain.

So TN 58 is like FL 54 in Wesley Chapel, FL. It is signed with either state or county pentagon shields depending on location. Nevertheless, the same route.

Though apples and oranges as Florida dumped their secondary route system and gave the jurisdiction to the counties decades ago. So CR 54 and SR 54 in the Sunshine State are one Route but different maintenance jurisdictions unlike Tennessee whose state maintains the primary and secondary systems.

Triangle shields are like Texas FM shields in Texas are to them

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on October 25, 2023, 10:13:12 AM

I know I'm being nit-picky here, but...  No, they aren't.

The shields may denote different classes of highway, as in Texas, but using the wrong blank in Tennessee cannot indicate the wrong highway in Tennessee.  This is because, as I said, there is only one TN 319.  Unless I'm mistaken, there is only one of any Tennessee state route.  There is no duplication between Tennessee's primary and secondary highway numbers, except as different sections of the same overall route.

This is unlike Texas, where there is plenty of duplication between the systems.  TX-138 is north of Austin, while FM-138 is northeast of Nacogdoches, so using the wrong blank would actually indicate a different highway.
Male pronouns, please.

roadman65

Quote from: kphoger on October 25, 2023, 10:26:36 AM

The shields may denote different classes of highway, as in Texas, but using the wrong blank in Tennessee cannot indicate the wrong highway in Tennessee.  This is because, as I said, there is only one TN 319.  Unless I'm mistaken, there is only one of any Tennessee state route.  There is no duplication between Tennessee's primary and secondary highway numbers, except as different sections of the same overall route.

This is unlike Texas, where there is plenty of duplication between the systems.  TX-138 is north of Austin, while FM-138 is northeast of Nacogdoches, so using the wrong blank would actually indicate a different highway.

Whatever it's still an erroneous shield.  Just like state shields for US routes in New York. If NY 209 is posted instead of US 209, even though there is one 209 within the Empire State, it's still the wrong.

I'm not like some guys on here who nit pick over wrong control cities, wrong chosen route number, and others who will lose sleep over wrong shields. I could care less about this, hence why I haven't yet written TNDOT about nor will I.  Even erroneously signed Route 209 in New York, yes it's wrong but to worry? No.

Sheryl Crowe

formulanone

Quote from: roadman65 on October 25, 2023, 06:24:56 PM
Quote from: kphoger on October 25, 2023, 10:26:36 AM

Whatever it's still an erroneous shield.  Just like state shields for US routes in New York. If NY 209 is posted instead of US 209, even though there is one 209 within the Empire State, it's still the wrong.

I'm not like some guys on here who nit pick over wrong control cities, wrong chosen route number, and others who will lose sleep over wrong shields. I could care less about this, hence why I haven't yet written TNDOT about nor will I.  Even erroneously signed Route 209 in New York, yes it's wrong but to worry? No.

The Tennessee primary/secondary mix-up is quite common; it's like seeing an rectangle shield in a state where they usually only use squares for all route numbers.

Mapmikey

Tennessee no longer distinguishes between state secondary and state primary routes, even though they still use the separate shields on maps and in signage.  Maps' legends now define both map symbols as just state highways instead of state secondary and state primary.

https://www.billburmaster.com/rmsandw/tennessee/state/tnstatemain.html

So technically there are no shield errors with state route types anymore. Only US-state route shield mixups.

No idea why they haven't been transitioning to just using one type of shield...it's been 15 years.

Rothman

Quote from: Mapmikey on October 25, 2023, 08:32:26 PM
Tennessee no longer distinguishes between state secondary and state primary routes, even though they still use the separate shields on maps and in signage.  Maps' legends now define both map symbols as just state highways instead of state secondary and state primary.

So technically there are no shield errors with state route types anymore. Only US-state route shield mixups.

No idea why they haven't been transitioning to just using one type of shield...it's been 15 years.
I don't know about that source, despite being someone from Tennessee's DOT.  Few states distinguished between primary and secondary state routes, let alone NHS primary and secondary (way, way before my time).  NHS never had that much of an influence on actual state route designations.  NHS was designated by FHWA with partial consideration with State input (see the infamous Willett Point Blvd "NHS Connector" in NY, which NYSDOT has been snickering about ever since FHWA insisted on it), while state route shielding was left up to the states themselves.  Still, if TN made that distinction with its state routes, that's just weird since US 11 is probably not on the NHS down there for a lot of it just like up here in NY -- if NHS isn't tightly correlated to certain designations anyway, why bother to try to match them up?

For the n00bs on the forum:  No, NHS =/= US Highways, although I believe it does include all Interstates (even those exempt from the long-gone Interstate Maintenance funding or exempt from the 90/10 share of NHPP (e.g., certain stretches in Brooklyn/Queens due to Congressional stupidity)).  It is essentially a hidden designation on all sorts of federal-aid eligible roads and classes.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on October 25, 2023, 09:00:17 PM

Quote from: Mapmikey on October 25, 2023, 08:32:26 PM

I don't know about that source, despite being someone from Tennessee's DOT.

I note especially that Bill Burmaster used the 2007 TDOT map as his source for claiming there is no longer a distinction between primary and secondary, yet the TDOT map linked to upthread is from 2018 and does distinguish between primary and secondary.
Male pronouns, please.

Mapmikey

like i said, they still use separate symbols on the maps but they both mean the same thing in the legend (since 2007).  Map linked above is no different.

kphoger

TDOT's 2022 tourism map does still distinguish between primary and secondary highways in the legend.

FWIW, TDOT also still makes primary/secondary corrections on its maps to ensure they're correct.

Quote from: TDOT — New 2019 State Maps Now Available — 28-FEB-2019
There have been several improvements and additions to the 2019 Tennessee State Transportation Map in order to increase its accuracy and usability. These include improvements in divided and undivided roadways, as well as segments which have been added or modified for clarity - such as an extension of the Tennessee Parkway designation along SR-52 in Fentress County. More additions include an exit ramp on I-40 in Fayette County, and an update to the alignment for SR-362 in Carter County. Additionally, several primary and secondary designation corrections were made to the roads on the map to accurately represent all state routes across Tennessee, such as SR-67 changing to from secondary to primary in Washington County.
Male pronouns, please.

74/171FAN

So this does not exactly qualify as it is a GIS map, but the Mercer County, WV, GIS map shows VA route shields. 
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

PA 290 actually continues west on PA 5 here despite the END sign.  (https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10217818905544835&set=a.10217819107389881)

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

kphoger

What is "black detour"?
Male pronouns, please.

74/171FAN

Quote from: kphoger on October 31, 2023, 10:34:16 AM
What is "black detour"?

That is one of PA's colored detours for when I-90 has emergency closures.

chrisg69911

NYCDOT (maybe PANYNJ) signing the entrance to the outbound Lincoln Tunnel as NY/NJ 495 as I-495
https://maps.app.goo.gl/e1rK8KbZjzSKUPTh9

74/171FAN

Not sure how I-76 got a north-south section in Akron, OH.  I think this is Ohio DOT throwing all shields on detour signs and not changing them correctly.  (https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10219177843957446&set=a.10219178075083224)

PurdueBill

Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 05, 2023, 09:29:44 PM
Not sure how I-76 got a north-south section in Akron, OH.  I think this is Ohio DOT throwing all shields on detour signs and not changing them correctly.  (https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10219177843957446&set=a.10219178075083224)

With so much crazy stuff going on around Akron lately with overlapping projects, it's hard to know if they meant North 77 or West 76 (or maybe even a different direction/route combo).  They have too many projects overlapping each other these days--although it's nice to get the work done, it's been years and years of hell with years to go still.  :P

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.