News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Tell us what's your hometown/city known for

Started by Desert Man, October 22, 2020, 05:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: briantroutman on October 23, 2020, 10:46:44 AM
Quote from: webny99 on October 22, 2020, 11:12:53 PM
Rochester, NY is known most prominently for Kodak!
It's no longer a name in the national consciousness as it once was (then again, neither is Kodak), but I would have added Xerox to that list.

Indeed! In fact, if I squint, I can almost see some of the Xerox buildings from where I am right now.

Quote from: briantroutman on October 23, 2020, 10:46:44 AM
This is a topic tailor-made for my hometown (Williamsport), because if anyone from outside the immediate area knows of the city, it's almost certainly in connection with Little League Baseball.

Granted, I'm the exception rather than the rule, but when I think of Williamsport I think of the US 15 slog through the southern part of town, which is really a microcosm of everything I dislike about that corridor. It's too bad that's the stretch long-distance traffic has to drive through, because the actual city has cool college town vibes and, as I recall, lots of tree-lined streets in the CBD which isn't something you see too often.

STLmapboy

Ice cream, toasted rav, Blues and Cardinals, zoo, arch, some great food, racial tensions, poverty, crime.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on October 23, 2020, 02:02:05 PM
"Windy" refers to rumors, not wind.

And politics, specifically.  Yes, I know, but Chicago is nonetheless most famous for wind.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

gonealookin

Walnut Creek, CA:

It was bland white suburbia when I was growing up there and still is.  Maybe notable to roadgeeks for the interchange of I-680 and CA-24; the original 1960 design with the narrow ramps and awful criss-cross merges was rebuilt in a huge project from about 1990-2000 that featured a very high (and a little too steep for trucks) temporary flyover which carried southbound I-680.  The downtown has gone upscale in the last 25 years or so as they've tried with a fair amount of success to make it the Palo Alto of the East Bay.

CoreySamson

Here's what the major cities in Brazoria County are known for:

Alvin: Nolan Ryan. Also the record holder for most rainfall in 24 hours in the continental U.S. (43 inches from tropical storm Claudette in 1979). The site where the rainfall was recorded now has Bayou Wildlife, a small drive-by zoo with giraffes, ostriches, and other animals.

Angleton: Brazoria County Fair, considered largest in Texas. Also has MSR Houston, a racetrack and go kart track, and Crocodile Encounter, another miniature zoo-like facility that mostly specializes in alligators, despite their name. They also have lemurs and wild hogs for some reason. Not as big as Bayou Wildlife.
Angleton's main icon is this statue of Stephen F. Austin, the "Father Of Texas".

Clute: Hosts the Great Texas Mosquito Festival every July.

Freeport: The Dow Chemical Company has a couple plants here; it is the largest integrated chemical manufacturing site in the country and a major employer for the county. It also has a large seaport. Known for it's seaside culture and birdwatching opportunities.

Lake Jackson: The city was designed by Dow for its workers to reside in. Nowadays, it has Sea Center Texas, the world's largest redfish hatchery, and the headquarters of Buc-ee's. Famous for it's street names: This Way, That Way, and Any Way all exist in downtown. Rand Paul, senator of Kentucky, spent his childhood here.
Recently made the news because of a brain-eating amoeba in the city water supply.

Pearland: Definition of suburban sprawl. Once a small town dedicated to growing pears, now Pearland is the largest city in the county, and it's grown like a weed: 30 years ago, only 18k people lived here. Now over 120k do.

Rosharon: Home of Skydive Spaceland, Houston's main skydiving center.

Surfside Beach: The best beach in the county. Also has an insane amount of birdwatching opportunities (actually most of the county does; more bird species live in Brazoria County than in any other US county).

West Columbia: The first capital of the Republic of Texas. A replica of the first capitol building stands in the city.

Overall, the county is known for the beach, the birds, the history as the birthplace of Texas, and the food (Tex-Mex, crawfish, and other seafood). I know this sounds like a tourist guide, but there's a lot here.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

kphoger

Quote from: CoreySamson on October 23, 2020, 04:44:39 PM

Now doesn't THAT sound like a blast!
Male pronouns, please.

CoreySamson

Quote from: kphoger on October 23, 2020, 04:47:30 PM
Quote from: CoreySamson on October 23, 2020, 04:44:39 PM

Now doesn't THAT sound like a blast!
Yep. It's a real thing. Brazoria County has the worst mosquitoes I've ever seen (although they aren't Alaska-level bad). You're probably very likely to get bitten by one at that festival.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

allniter89

I was born on Westover AFB MA. We lived in Chickenpee Falls, MA. We moved after a few months so I dont know nuttin bout Chicopee, MA.
I quit, Its late I'm tired here's a ccp from Wiki
It is home to several statues and monuments to World War II veterans and Vietnam War veterans. The Edward Bellamy House, a National Historic Landmark at 91—93 Church Street in Chicopee Falls, Massachusetts. The house was built in 1852 and was the home of journalist Edward Bellamy.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

mgk920

Appleton, WI - historically it is paper, often called the 'Paper Valley' due to the paper mills along the Fox River from nearby Neenah, WI downstream to and beyond Green Bay, WI.

More recently it is fire trucks.  Oshkosh-Pierce (www.piercemfg.com) builds their fire trucks in several plants located here in the Appleton area.  The main assembly plant is just south of Prospect Ave on I-41.

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=marn0gET8Qc for some interesting stuff on it.

BTW, about a year ago parent company Oshkosh Truck (HQed in nearby Oshkosh, WI) won the contract to replace the USArmy's HMMWVs.

Also, FWD-Seagrave, supplier of the FDNY's rigs for over a century, builds their fire trucks in nearby Clintonville, WI, located about 45 minutes northwest of Appleton on US 45.

Mike

Flint1979

Flint, Michigan I'm currently in Flint right now so here it goes.

General Motors.

GenExpwy

Wayland NY

Home of the Gunlocke Company, manufacturer of high-quality office furniture for the corporate/government market. When I was little, my grandmother came along on our family vacations, and she made sure that every hotel desk clerk knew that Wayland is where they make the chair for the President of the United States. (I don't know if that is still true.)

Wayland made the national news for a train wreck on 29 August 1943, which killed 27 people.

Bruce

Everett: Home to the world's largest building by volume, which will soon empty out due to corporate greed.

Also had the first declared COVID-19 case in the U.S. way back in mid-January. And the first deadly group outbreak was only a few miles down the road in Kirkland a month later.

US 89

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 24, 2020, 11:18:39 AM

General Motors.

I'd say more people these days know of Flint from their corroding lead pipes.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US 89 on October 25, 2020, 12:30:49 PM

General Motors.

I still associate it more with Roger & Me, hence General Motors. 

Flint1979

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 25, 2020, 12:33:51 PM

General Motors.

Anyone from Michigan would associate Flint with General Motors. In a city of 190,000 people in the 1970's about 80,000 people worked for General Motors in the Flint area, today there are only about 5,000 General Motors workers in the Flint area and Flint's population is at about 90,000 people, under 100,000 for the first time since 1920. I would love for Flint to make a comeback but too many people have a negative image about the city.

Off topic, I don't know the last time you were in Detroit but I was riding around the inner city yesterday and for the first time in I'd say about five years I took a ride past the old Tiger Stadium and Michigan Central Station. The site at Michigan and Trumbull is cool they have a baseball field where the old field the Tigers use to play on was and have development built around it. Michigan Central Station looks like it's coming along pretty nice and now has windows. I still remember when the last train pulled out of that station 32 years ago.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 25, 2020, 01:51:38 PM

General Motors.

Anyone from Michigan would associate Flint with General Motors. In a city of 190,000 people in the 1970's about 80,000 people worked for General Motors in the Flint area, today there are only about 5,000 General Motors workers in the Flint area and Flint's population is at about 90,000 people, under 100,000 for the first time since 1920. I would love for Flint to make a comeback but too many people have a negative image about the city.

Off topic, I don't know the last time you were in Detroit but I was riding around the inner city yesterday and for the first time in I'd say about five years I took a ride past the old Tiger Stadium and Michigan Central Station. The site at Michigan and Trumbull is cool they have a baseball field where the old field the Tigers use to play on was and have development built around it. Michigan Central Station looks like it's coming along pretty nice and now has windows. I still remember when the last train pulled out of that station 32 years ago.

I pop in about every two years.  Back in 2015 there was make shift baseball field that was kept up by the local neighborhood at the site of Tiger's Stadium.  Central Station has come a long way given there is a lot of interest in salvaging the building now.  Apparently even parts of the Packard Plant even got a real restoration from what I've heard. 

Flint1979

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 25, 2020, 02:14:20 PM

General Motors.

I pop in about every two years.  Back in 2015 there was make shift baseball field that was kept up by the local neighborhood at the site of Tiger's Stadium.  Central Station has come a long way given there is a lot of interest in salvaging the building now.  Apparently even parts of the Packard Plant even got a real restoration from what I've heard.
I remember it just being a makeshift baseball field with nothing else around it but it now has housing around it. The Corktown neighborhood looks like it's coming along pretty nicely. I'm honestly surprised that anyone had any interest in the train station because it just seems so removed from downtown and that was always my thought about it. I haven't been around the Packard Plant in awhile but I remember hearing that where the sign that use to say MOTOR CITY INDUSTRAL PARK collapsed onto Grand Blvd.

About 5 years ago I was riding around with a friend just cruising around the city. He's from Saginaw and doesn't really know Detroit too well so I was driving around and we were near the Packard Plant and before I turned onto Concord Street I told him it's gonna look very ghetto here in a second. It was trash filled all the way to the Ford Service Drive. I'm happy to hear someone has some interest in cleaning that part of Detroit up.

KeithE4Phx

Bloomington IN (my hometown):  Indiana University, nearby Brown County.  In the past, RCA's color TV plant and the Showers Brothers furniture factory (the largest in the country, 100 years ago) were located there.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 25, 2020, 02:53:33 PM

General Motors.

I remember it just being a makeshift baseball field with nothing else around it but it now has housing around it. The Corktown neighborhood looks like it's coming along pretty nicely. I'm honestly surprised that anyone had any interest in the train station because it just seems so removed from downtown and that was always my thought about it. I haven't been around the Packard Plant in awhile but I remember hearing that where the sign that use to say MOTOR CITY INDUSTRAL PARK collapsed onto Grand Blvd.

About 5 years ago I was riding around with a friend just cruising around the city. He's from Saginaw and doesn't really know Detroit too well so I was driving around and we were near the Packard Plant and before I turned onto Concord Street I told him it's gonna look very ghetto here in a second. It was trash filled all the way to the Ford Service Drive. I'm happy to hear someone has some interest in cleaning that part of Detroit up.

Regarding the field, I believe it was a semi salvaged diamond that hadn't fully overgrown at the site of Tigers Stadium.  There was kids out playing a game in the pouring rain when I was there in 2015.  I thought it was pretty cool that people would care about the old stadium site enough that they would try to preserve and use it.  Apparently the Detroit Police Athletic League runs the new field:

https://polarengraving.com/detroitpoliceathleticleague

kkt

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on October 25, 2020, 07:32:56 PM
Quote from: Henry on October 23, 2020, 10:48:12 AM
Seattle: Grunge, Nintendo, Microsoft, Starbucks

Boeing, drizzle.

Seattle always will be the Alaskan Way Viaduct and car ferry city to me.

Flint1979

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 25, 2020, 06:35:14 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on October 25, 2020, 02:53:33 PM

General Motors.

Regarding the field, I believe it was a semi salvaged diamond that hadn't fully overgrown at the site of Tigers Stadium.  There was kids out playing a game in the pouring rain when I was there in 2015.  I thought it was pretty cool that people would care about the old stadium site enough that they would try to preserve and use it.  Apparently the Detroit Police Athletic League runs the new field:

https://polarengraving.com/detroitpoliceathleticleague
About 3 years ago just before Little Caesars Arena opened I walked around the city using DDOT to get around. I walked from downtown where I parked in Greektown to Little Caesars Arena and walked around that area a little bit it was just before it opened they were having an open house and I got to go inside the arena and check it out, only time I've been in it so far since I haven't been to a Wings or Pistons game since that time. Anyway I was getting tired of walking so to take a break I spotted the Dexter bus coming down Cass and got on it, took it downtown and then got on the Michigan bus and went out by the old Tiger Stadium to walk the Corktown neighborhood. I haven't had a chance to revisit that day since then but I was impressed with what was going on in the city it felt like a real city instead of what we know Detroit's been like with the abandoned buildings downtown such as the Book Cadillac Hotel, Fort Shelby Hotel (which I glazed up at yesterday and was impressed with how they renovated that building) and all the buildings that were nearly empty. Now it looks like they have life and it is pretty cool.

Of course when you get out into the neighborhoods further away from downtown it's still the old Detroit in most areas. I still think the worst part of Detroit is the area from around 7 Mile and Gratiot to Eastland Mall.

kkt

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 25, 2020, 07:34:17 PM
Quote from: kkt on October 25, 2020, 07:32:56 PM
Quote from: Henry on October 23, 2020, 10:48:12 AM
Seattle: Grunge, Nintendo, Microsoft, Starbucks

Boeing, drizzle.

Seattle always will be the Alaskan Way Viaduct and car ferry city to me.

The Alaska Ferry doesn't come here anymore, it moved to Bellingham.

Come to think of it, Boeing's headquarters is now Chicago and manufacturing is on a race to the bottom.

But we've still got the drizzle.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.