Tell us what's your hometown/city known for

Started by Desert Man, October 22, 2020, 05:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Quote from: Big John on October 30, 2020, 04:23:38 PM
The #1 item is way too obvious so I will go with Toilet Paper.

It's only obvious if we know where you live.

(It's Green Bay. I found it by looking at prior posts; the location is given here.)
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Katavia

Hometown - Kannapolis: Dale Earnhardt Sr. and other NASCAR ephemera.
(Former) pizza delivery driver with a penchant for highways.
On nearly every other online platform I go by Kurzov - Katavia is a holdover from the past.

tchafe1978

My current hometown is famous for being the site of the first capitol of the Wisconsin Territory. The territorial legislature and Supreme Court met for one session in 1836, and during that session voted to move the permanent capitol of Madison. The original Supreme Court building and Legislative building still exist at a state historical site about 3 miles northwest of Belmont, WI.

My original hometown really isn't famous for much of anything, other than being one of the more affluent suburbs of Milwaukee.

US 89

Quote from: 1 on October 30, 2020, 04:32:24 PM
Quote from: Big John on October 30, 2020, 04:23:38 PM
The #1 item is way too obvious so I will go with Toilet Paper.

It's only obvious if we know where you live.

(It's Green Bay. I found it by looking at prior posts; the location is given here.)

Stalker.  :-P

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TravelingBethelite

P.T. Barnum and Duracell batteries

Also the founder of Sonic Youth if that's your style.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

SkyPesos

Cincinnati: Harambe, Chili on spaghetti, P&G

Flint1979

Saginaw is pretty much a typical city in Michigan that's run down, lots of crime, ugly looking, lots of people that lack common sense but that is what Flint and Detroit are like too as well as Pontiac. Saginaw isn't even that big anymore the population is down to about 44,000 and Saginaw Township which is actually where I live has almost the same population as the city does we just call it the city and the township and people know what you are talking about around here. Saginaw Township is just like any other suburb in America it's mostly residential with some farming in the western part of the township and the typical commercial strips along State Street (M-58), Bay Road (M-84) and Gratiot (M-46) and Tittabawassee Road (not a state highway). Most of Gratiot's businesses are in the city or Thomas Township (Shields).

JayhawkCO

Sadly, the shooting during The Dark Knight.

Chris

kphoger

Quote from: jayhawkco on August 20, 2021, 01:22:32 PM

I grew up in northwestern Kansas, but my parents had grown up and lived most of their lives in cities like KC, Saint Louis, and Chicago, and they had more urban tastes.  Once or twice a year, we drove to the Denver area to get things we couldn't find nearby–work uniforms, a large selection of yarn, a decent liquor store, a large mall, even a wide selection of cars to test-drive.  For me, Aurora was–well, it was where everything was, where we did almost all our shopping on those trips.  About the only things that ever took us into Denver proper were (1) flying out of Stapleton or (2) Cherry Creek mall.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kevinb1994

Where I grew up...it's actually across from where Donald Fagen (of Steely Dan) grew up (though he and I are from elsewhere-him from Passaic and I from New Brunswick-both are river cities). I have driven past his childhood house, BTW

Where I live now...I can mention that it's where Burger King (not the chain that we know and detest nowadays) was started (on Beach Blvd, US 90-this was then a recent extension of the highway over a former railroad ROW). It's now home to CSX, which was formed from the likes of Chessie and Seaboard, et al. It's also now home to FECRwy, which used to be located further south in St. Augustine (I live in FECRwy territory).

Daniel Fiddler

Casey Jones is the most famous dead resident.  Isaac Tigrett is the most famous living resident.

Largest city between Memphis (1.3 million) and Nashville (2.1 million), with roughly 100,000 in the county and 65,000 or 70,000in the city.

Huge manufacturing city for its size and a hub for several railroads

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on August 20, 2021, 01:44:50 PM

I grew up in northwestern Kansas, but my parents had grown up and lived most of their lives in cities like KC, Saint Louis, and Chicago, and they had more urban tastes.  Once or twice a year, we drove to the Denver area to get things we couldn't find nearby–work uniforms, a large selection of yarn, a decent liquor store, a large mall, even a wide selection of cars to test-drive.  For me, Aurora was–well, it was where everything was, where we did almost all our shopping on those trips.  About the only things that ever took us into Denver proper were (1) flying out of Stapleton or (2) Cherry Creek mall.

Yeah.  There's lots of good stuff here (and much cheaper housing than other areas of the metro due to some "anti-Aurora" sentiments (they think crime is bad here when it's limited to a pretty specific section of town)), but we definitely have to be the most anonymous city of our size in the country other than maaaaybe Mesa, Arlington, or Bakersfield.

Chris 

Daniel Fiddler

Quote from: jayhawkco on August 20, 2021, 02:59:11 PM
Quote from: kphoger on August 20, 2021, 01:44:50 PM

Yeah.  There's lots of good stuff here (and much cheaper housing than other areas of the metro due to some "anti-Aurora" sentiments (they think crime is bad here when it's limited to a pretty specific section of town)), but we definitely have to be the most anonymous city of our size in the country other than maaaaybe Mesa, Arlington, or Bakersfield.

Chris 

They don't know what they're talking about.  Violent crime in Colorado is very low.  Compared to Tennessee for example, it's less than half, not much more than a third.

Nashville is not bad, especially for a city of its size (2.1 million), most violent crime is in West Tennessee.  If I remember correctly, Memphis is in at least the top 10 if not the top 5 most dangerous cities over 100,000, and Jackson isn't much safer.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: kevinb1994 on August 20, 2021, 02:50:18 PM
Where I live now...I can mention that it's where Burger King (not the chain that we know and detest nowadays) was started (on Beach Blvd, US 90-this was then a recent extension of the highway over a former railroad ROW).

Ah yes, the original Insta-Burger King

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Daniel Fiddler on August 20, 2021, 03:05:56 PM
They don't know what they're talking about.  Violent crime in Colorado is very low.  Compared to Tennessee for example, it's less than half, not much more than a third.

Nashville is not bad, especially for a city of its size (2.1 million), most violent crime is in West Tennessee.  If I remember correctly, Memphis is in at least the top 10 if not the top 5 most dangerous cities over 100,000, and Jackson isn't much safer.

I get it, but in the Denver metro, most of the violent crime is basically centered nearish to Colfax Avenue from approximately the Denver/Lakewood border to I-225.  The area right on the Denver/Aurora border tends to be some of the worst.

Chris

SkyPesos

Doesn't Colorado have a disproportionate amount of mass shootings (the type where someone enters a grocery store or something and randomly starts shooting)?

JayhawkCO

Quote from: SkyPesos on August 20, 2021, 03:44:26 PM
Doesn't Colorado have a disproportionate amount of mass shootings (the type where someone enters a grocery store or something and randomly starts shooting)?

Well, we've had Columbine, the Dark Knight, and then recently the grocery store in Boulder.  Three high notoriety ones at least.

Chris

hotdogPi

Quote from: SkyPesos on August 20, 2021, 03:44:26 PM

Here's a map for reference. It's slightly higher, but not the highest. Note that only two of the four are in the populated areas of Colorado.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

kphoger

That's not the point, though.  He was saying that Denver-area residents view Aurora as too violent.  The people with such an opinion are already living in Colorado.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on August 20, 2021, 03:52:21 PM
That's not the point, though.  He was saying that Denver-area residents view Aurora as too violent.  The people with such an opinion are already living in Colorado.

Yep.  And Aurora is definitely the most diverse area around in this white-bread state, so that fuels some of the sentiment I'm sure.

Chris

kevinb1994

Quote from: Dirt Roads on August 20, 2021, 03:07:39 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on August 20, 2021, 02:50:18 PM
Where I live now...I can mention that it's where Burger King (not the chain that we know and detest nowadays) was started (on Beach Blvd, US 90-this was then a recent extension of the highway over a former railroad ROW).

Ah yes, the original Insta-Burger King.
That's the one, but most of us on the forum weren't around then.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Dirt Roads on August 20, 2021, 03:07:39 PM
Ah yes, the original Insta-Burger King.

Quote from: kevinb1994 on August 20, 2021, 06:13:10 PM
That's the one, but most of us on the forum weren't around then.

Me neither, but I kind of get nostalgic about old-timey burger joints.  And hotdog joints.

bing101

1. San Francisco: home of the Financial District, SOMA, Golden State Warriors, San Francisco Giants
2. South San Francisco: Home of the Biotech Industry on the West Coast
3. Vallejo: Mare Island and Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (Formerly Marine World) went bankrupt during the 2008 recession
4. Fairfield: Travis Air Force Base, COVID-19's US arrival was at Travis Air Force base and sparked the shutdown initially in California before the rest of the USA.
5. Sacramento: where West Coast Lobbying firms and campaign operations take place.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.