News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoePCool14

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on September 25, 2021, 04:08:37 AM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on September 24, 2021, 10:49:09 AM
I believe the move format on AARoads is greatly underrated.
It adds such a level of flair to forum posts that is impossible to replicate otherwise.
Just seeing text move from one side of your screen to the other... absolutely riveting.
It makes you feel like you're driving on a super smooth highway like I-55 south of Chicago while reading it.
It makes the forum more fun, and more people need to embrace it, as well as some of the other great formats we get to enjoy here like shadow and glow.
Make AARoads Fun Again.

the 90's called. they want their html tag back.

One does not simply remove the move tags from my post.

Quote from: SkyPesos on September 24, 2021, 12:49:56 PM
:poke: :angry: :sombrero: :colorful: :confused: :wow: :-/ :cool: :-o :rolleyes: :ded: :-D :D :) :-| :love: :no: :pan: :crazy: :-( X-( :sleep: :-P :paranoid: ;-) :nod: :biggrin: :eyebrow: :spin: :clap: :banghead: :coffee: :hmmm: :bigass: :wave: :awesomeface: :popcorn: :ninja: :camera: :cheers: :evilgrin: :whip: :fight: :verymad: :rofl: :hyper: :thumbdown: :thumbsup: :hmm:

You should've put the :whip: at the end to make it look like he was powering the scroll.

--rm overkill -sso

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: JoePCool14 on September 25, 2021, 09:21:17 AM
Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on September 25, 2021, 04:08:37 AM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on September 24, 2021, 10:49:09 AM
I believe the move format on AARoads is greatly underrated.
It adds such a level of flair to forum posts that is impossible to replicate otherwise.
Just seeing text move from one side of your screen to the other... absolutely riveting.
It makes you feel like you're driving on a super smooth highway like I-55 south of Chicago while reading it.
It makes the forum more fun, and more people need to embrace it, as well as some of the other great formats we get to enjoy here like shadow and glow.
Make AARoads Fun Again.

the 90's called. they want their html tag back.

One does not simply remove the move tags from my post.

* hangs head in shame *

Quote from: SkyPesos on September 24, 2021, 12:49:56 PM
:poke: :angry: :sombrero: :colorful: :confused: :wow: :-/ :cool: :-o :rolleyes: :ded: :-D :D :) :-| :love: :no: :pan: :crazy: :-( X-( :sleep: :-P :paranoid: ;-) :nod: :biggrin: :eyebrow: :spin: :clap: :banghead: :coffee: :hmmm: :bigass: :wave: :awesomeface: :popcorn: :ninja: :camera: :cheers: :evilgrin: :whip: :fight: :verymad: :rofl: :hyper: :thumbdown: :thumbsup: :hmm:

You should've put the :whip: at the end to make it look like he was powering the scroll.
--rm move -sso
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

kurumi

The answer to life, the universe, and everything is 10% weed.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

LilianaUwU

hey can someone tell me where's the brake pedal on this car? i cant stop it
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

JoePCool14

The fact that my post was edited only confirms my complaints. Disgraceful.

I hope people know I'm being sarcastic by now.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

snowc

@SSOWorld should we think this thread is getting TOO heated? I think its time to either split or lock the thread.

kenarmy

- You can't skip leg day because you need your legs to skip.
- Get away with your negativity snowc  :meh:
- If you pass a police car and don't look back.. what are you doing??
- Switching from my AAVE to standard is such a sport.
- If a morgue worker dies, they need to come in and work one more time.
- Everything existing is either US 49 or not.
- Why are claustrophobic people ok with their brain being trapped in their skull?
- Hmmm.. why are most of these books I read New York Times bestsellers.
- Grocery stores run out of essential items because people are scared that grocery stores will run out of essential items.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

snowc

Quote from: kenarmy on September 27, 2021, 01:53:39 PM
- You can't skip leg day because you need your legs to skip.
- Get away with your negativity snowc  :meh:
- If you pass a police car and don't look back.. what are you doing??
- Switching from my AAVE to standard is such a sport.
- If a morgue worker dies, they need to come in and work one more time.
- Everything existing is either US 49 or not.
- Why are claustrophobic people ok with their brain being trapped in their skull?
- Hmmm.. why are most of these books I read New York Times bestsellers.
- Grocery stores run out of essential items because people are scared that grocery stores will run out of essential items.

OK, @kenarmy :rolleyes:

[Removed extraneous formatting. -S.]

hotdogPi

How did snowc become a moderator?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

snowc

Quote from: 1 on September 27, 2021, 03:43:59 PM
not a mod, just trying to keep it cool.

renegade

Quote from: snowc on September 27, 2021, 04:31:17 PM
I once got thoroughly bitched-out by the mods for using purple font.  You might want to rethink what's cool.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Roadgeekteen

I remember Ethanman got banned for bossing people around with purple font.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

Quote from: JoePCool14 on September 27, 2021, 11:42:06 AM
The fact that my post was edited only confirms my complaints. Disgraceful.

I hope people know I'm being sarcastic by now.

If it makes you feel any better, I would have edited it to make it scroll the other way if that was an option.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SkyPesos

Quote from: renegade on September 27, 2021, 05:21:42 PM
I once got thoroughly bitched-out by the mods for using purple font.  You might want to rethink what's cool.
How about every color except purple?

hotdogPi

Quote from: SkyPesos on September 27, 2021, 09:37:24 PM

hex codes work
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

interstatefan990

Quote from: 1 on September 27, 2021, 09:41:56 PM

hex codes work

Nah, that's just the little printer inside your computer screen running out of ink.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

Scott5114

Quote from: Alex on May 21, 2009, 10:34:10 PM
By posting in our forum, you automatically agree to the following:

What's not allowed:
Excessive use of formatting. Use formatting sparingly. When formatting is used, it should be done for a reason, not simply to make your posts stand out. (As an example, posting a list of Interstates you traveled on with the ones you clinched marked in green is acceptable, but coloring your entire post teal just because you like the way it looks is not.)

tolbs17

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 27, 2021, 10:04:00 PM

What's not allowed:
Excessive use of formatting. Use formatting sparingly. When formatting is used, it should be done for a reason, not simply to make your posts stand out. (As an example, posting a list of Interstates you traveled on with the ones you clinched marked in green is acceptable, but coloring your entire post teal just because you like the way it looks is not.)
So, just one emotion is enough?

Scott5114

Quote from: tolbs17 on September 27, 2021, 11:10:55 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 27, 2021, 10:04:00 PM

What's not allowed:
So, just one emotion is enough?

You can have as many emotions as you want, but you don't need to post more than one or two emoticons in a row.

kkt

Quote from: kenarmy on September 21, 2021, 08:54:51 PM
- Um wtf there's a Canadian English too?

For example, in American English it's a black color tire.
In British English it's a black colour tyre.
In Canadian English it's a black colour tire.

noelbotevera

I find it weird that I've been driving a car for over a year, but I've never been taught how to change a tire.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Scott5114

Quote from: noelbotevera on October 04, 2021, 05:18:08 PM
I find it weird that I've been driving a car for over a year, but I've never been taught how to change a tire.

Unless you have a parent that finds it important to teach this to you, you'll have to put in the effort to seek out the information on your own. Schools no longer bother to teach basic car repair or household maintenance. Of course, once you leave school, there will be nobody to spoon-feed you suggested topics to learn about, so it pays to get in the habit now of pursuing self education.

As for changing a tire, it is a pretty basic procedure, but a little bit of knowledge on how to do it efficiently goes a long way. You also need to have the proper tools: a jack and a tire iron. Most cars come with a simple jack and a tire iron of the correct size, but I prefer using one of those heavy cross-shaped tire irons because it makes it easier to use body weight as leverage. You can get them at Walmart for $12.59 and leave one in the trunk of your car. A good jack is nice to have around the house, but often impractical to take on the road.

The general procedure is as follows:
1) Remove any hubcap or plastic cover that covers the lug nuts (the nuts that hold the wheel to the axle).
2) Before doing anything with the jack, break the lug nuts loose. This is easier to do with the car on the ground, since when it's in the air the wheel will spin. The easiest way to do this is to put the tire iron on the lug nut, then step on the cross piece of the tire iron with your foot, using your body weight to force the nut to turn. Lug nuts are always fastened far more tightly than most fasteners, because if they come off, so will the wheel, which can lead to an accident.
3) Continue to break the lug nuts loose. When working on lug nuts, don't go around in a clockwise or anti-clockwise order; the proper order is to pick a starting place and then go to the nut directly across from the nut you just worked on, repeating this procedure until all the nuts have been worked on.
4) Once the lug nuts have been loosened enough you can spin the tire iron freely (or as freely as is possible before striking the ground), then you can jack up the car. It is important to place the jack in a place where the car's frame can handle the stress of supporting its weight. Most modern cars make these points obvious by having a notch a few inches wide cut into them for your jack to slot into, and there is usually one right next to each wheel. Read your car's manual for more information on where it is safe to put the jack.
5) Once the jack is in place, raise the car up on it. The exact details of how this is done depends on your jack, but the emergency jack that comes with the car usually operates by a screw or bolt that you turn that raises the car. When the car is raised, be careful not to jostle the jack and risk knocking the car off of it.
6) With the car raised, you can now fully remove the lug nuts that you loosened in step 3. This will allow you to remove the wheel with the flat tire. Be sure to put the lug nuts in a secure place where they won't roll away and be lost–a clean plastic cup is most convenient, but your pocket will also do.
7) Place the new wheel on, being sure to face the valve stem (where you add air to the tire) toward you.
8) Replace the lug nuts and tighten them, following the order specified in step 3.
9) Carefully and slowly lower the car back to the ground. You don't want to go too fast and cause the car to bounce when it lands.
10) With the car on the ground, tighten the lug nuts again as tight as they will go, using your body weight on the tire iron to ensure this. As mentioned above, you absolutely don't want these nuts to come loose.
11) Most cars ship with a compact spare or "donut". Read your car's manual to learn what safety restrictions are in place when driving on a donut. Most donuts are not recommended for use above 50 MPH. You should use the donut as little as possible, until you can take your car to a tire shop and replace or repair the flat tire.

GaryV

You forgot one point.  Many cars have a tire anti-theft lock.  You have to know where the wheel lock key is to unlock it. It came with the car and someone put it in some safe place.  You have to know where that place is.

tolbs17

I'm thinking about starting a thread about Stick Ranger. That's my random thought.

kkt

It's good to know if you drive out to the middle of nowhere.

But I will note that althought I do know how to change a tire, it's only come up once in 41 years of driving.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.