News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Preference from Deerfield to the I-90/94 merge. I-94 or I-294/I-90?

Started by peterj920, June 27, 2016, 11:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterj920

I went down to Chicago from Wisconsin on Saturday and continued down I-294 to I-90 instead of staying on I-94 because of continued frustration with the backups caused by the lane drop at the end of the Edens Spur.  The toll is actually 40 cents cheaper by staying on I-294 to I-90 and only 3/4 of a mile longer than staying on I-94.  I also did not experience any backups by using I-294/I-90.  Going north, the tolls are the same price and there aren't any lane drops so it would probably be better to stay on I-94.  My preference for heading south to Chicago from the north would be to use I-294/I-90 instead of I-94 for the reasons I just stated.  Which route would be your preference and why?

SEWIGuy

Quote from: peterj920 on June 27, 2016, 11:47:34 PM
I went down to Chicago from Wisconsin on Saturday and continued down I-294 to I-90 instead of staying on I-94 because of continued frustration with the backups caused by the lane drop at the end of the Edens Spur.  The toll is actually 40 cents cheaper by staying on I-294 to I-90 and only 3/4 of a mile longer than staying on I-94.  I also did not experience any backups by using I-294/I-90.  Going north, the tolls are the same price and there aren't any lane drops so it would probably be better to stay on I-94.  My preference for heading south to Chicago from the north would be to use I-294/I-90 instead of I-94 for the reasons I just stated.  Which route would be your preference and why?

During weekday traffic, the Edens by far.  The Kennedy can be a bear between the Tri-State and the merge with I-94.  Outside of the back up on the Edens spur, which usually aren't that bad, the Edens rarely has traffic issues.

Usually I listen to the traffic reports when I head into town just to see what the times are anyway.

mvak36

Is there a reason for that lane drop? I'm going to Chicago next month and might be going on that road, so I was curious.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

peterj920

Quote from: mvak36 on June 28, 2016, 10:09:08 AM
Is there a reason for that lane drop? I'm going to Chicago next month and might be going on that road, so I was curious.

The Edens Spur that connects the Tri State Tollway with the Edens Expressway reduces to one lane before merging with US 41/Edens Expressway.  I was caught in backups a couple times which is why I used the I-294/I-90 combination over the weekend and it worked smoothly. 

Brandon

The Edens is 3 lanes south of the merge point.  North of there, it is also 3 lanes.  The Spur is 2 lanes.  A lane drops from the Spur, and then it merges into the Edens as an entrance ramp.  Cue havoc on rush hour traffic.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

mvak36

Quote from: Brandon on June 28, 2016, 01:21:57 PM

The Edens is 3 lanes south of the merge point.  North of there, it is also 3 lanes.  The Spur is 2 lanes.  A lane drops from the Spur, and then it merges into the Edens as an entrance ramp.  Cue havoc on rush hour traffic.

Ah I see. Well I will probably be driving that on a Saturday if I do go. So hopefully no delays.

ET21

Quote from: mvak36 on June 28, 2016, 01:58:41 PM
Quote from: Brandon on June 28, 2016, 01:21:57 PM

Ah I see. Well I will probably be driving that on a Saturday if I do go. So hopefully no delays.

You should be good on a Saturday
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

mvak36

Quote from: ET21 on June 28, 2016, 08:07:08 PM

[/quote]

So I got the Ipass delivered through the mail this week. Is there a reason the thing came wrapped in an aluminum foil (to prevent it from being read, etc)? I'm actually flying to Chicago, so would I have to wrap it again so it doesn't get affected by the xray machines at the security checkpoints?

Brandon

Quote from: mvak36 on July 08, 2016, 09:50:51 AM

So I got the Ipass delivered through the mail this week. Is there a reason the thing came wrapped in an aluminum foil (to prevent it from being read, etc)? I'm actually flying to Chicago, so would I have to wrap it again so it doesn't get affected by the xray machines at the security checkpoints?
[/quote]

That's so it doesn't get read by mistake.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SEWIGuy

Quote from: mvak36 on July 08, 2016, 09:50:51 AM

[/quote]

I have flown with my unwrapped iPass a number of times with no problem.  Went through the XRay machine just fine.

I think the issue they are protecting against is if a mail carrier goes through a toll.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.