News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davenh

Quote from: SSOWorld on December 06, 2014, 10:14:13 AM
actually I was referring to these...

http://511wi.gov/Web/traffic/message_signs.aspx

Good grief. That's almost depressing. That information first really registered on my radar two weeks ago today, and it was 435. (In fact, I could swear I saw it earlier in the day and it said 427, but I can only say 435 for certain.) 32 traffic deaths in 14 days.

SSOWorld

Quote from: davenh on December 08, 2014, 06:11:21 PM

Good grief. That's almost depressing. That information first really registered on my radar two weeks ago today, and it was 435. (In fact, I could swear I saw it earlier in the day and it said 427, but I can only say 435 for certain.) 32 traffic deaths in 14 days.
Yeah that's the last thing you want to put up in a VMS.  Police state anyone?
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

SEWIGuy

What does posting the number of drunk driving deaths in Wisconsin have to do with being a police state? 

NE2

Quote from: SEWIGuy on December 09, 2014, 03:31:58 PM
What does posting the number of drunk driving deaths in Wisconsin have to do with being a police state? 
This.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jhuntin1

Quote from: US71 on December 11, 2014, 12:16:19 PM

MoDOT does those, too.

As does IDOT and ISTA. The number of road fatalities is usually the first thing I see when I enter Illinois on 80-94.

Alps

Why is Lombardi Avenue CTH "VK"? Vince's middle name was Thomas, so it's not that.

NE2

Quote from: Alps on December 27, 2014, 04:01:18 AM
Why is Lombardi Avenue CTH "VK"? Vince's middle name was Thomas, so it's not that.
I don't know, but Bessert says it happened in 1999. (But he also says pooing is uncool.)

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

JREwing78

Assembly Republicans are making another attempt at raising the speed limit to 70 mph, and they're hoping they can get their Senate colleagues to come along for the ride this time.

The Assembly in 2013 approved hiking the highway speed limit by 5 mph, but the measure died when the Senate declined to back it.

Both houses were controlled by Republicans at the time, as they are now. But the makeup of the Senate has changed significantly because of retirements, and supporters hope to pass it in the legislative session that began this month.

GOP lawmakers revive push for raising Wisconsin's speed limit to 70
http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/gop-lawmakers-revive-push-for-raising-wisconsins-speed-limit-to-70-b99427556z1-288963171.html

Speeds already average 70+ on Wisconsin freeways and expressways. It's time to make the change.  8-)

SSOWorld

we'll see how it goes.  It's a stronger majority, but there are still some skeptical republicans.
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

dave069

Quote from: SSOWorld on January 18, 2015, 05:27:02 PM
we'll see how it goes.  It's a stronger majority, but there are still some skeptical republicans.

I personally think there is a very good case for a 70MPH speed limit on rural freeways, especially since Illinois has one and even Pennsylvania has a few 70 zones. I also wonder if Walker would sign it or not.

Milwaukee, WY

What's the political calculus for not raising the speed limit? They don't want to be seen to be decreasing safety? I think that argument is kind of weak sauce. I would think that a 5 mph increase should be pretty much noncontroversial.  Of course, in today's political environment anything can be twisted when it comes time for political ad silly season.

colinstu

One I heard from someone is that government car drivers will drive faster now = less fuel efficient = more gas usage = cost taxpayers more $

who CARES just increase the limit it's not like they already drive that fast if they can.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Milwaukee, WY on January 24, 2015, 11:31:04 PM
What's the political calculus for not raising the speed limit? They don't want to be seen to be decreasing safety? I think that argument is kind of weak sauce. I would think that a 5 mph increase should be pretty much noncontroversial.  Of course, in today's political environment anything can be twisted when it comes time for political ad silly season.

WIDOT doesn't really want it, and the general public has greeted it with a collective "meh."  There just isn't that much pressure to get it done. 

dave069

Quote from: Milwaukee, WY on January 24, 2015, 11:31:04 PM

Good point! When Illinois passed its 70 MPH speed limit bill in 2013 the votes were overwhelmingly for it and there was a long list of sponsors from both political parties. It's common sense IMO.

TheHighwayMan3561

I thought it passed the two chambers last time and Walker vetoed it anyway. Would this time be different?
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Big John

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 25, 2015, 05:51:30 PM
I thought it passed the two chambers last time and Walker vetoed it anyway. Would this time be different?
Actually passed the assembly but got nowhere in the state senate.

GeekJedi

Not sure if anyone else has caught this, but I found this little gem while in Fond du Lac yesterday...

https://goo.gl/maps/PdPNa
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

SSOWorld

oops somebody forgot to modify before saving :sombrero:

Thanks for the new avatar.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

NE2

Quote from: GeekJedi on January 25, 2015, 09:36:12 PM
Not sure if anyone else has caught this, but I found this little gem while in Fond du Lac yesterday...

https://goo.gl/maps/PdPNa

colinstu

I don't get it... that road really is OOO... there are several more signs for it.

NE2

Took me a bit too. It's a boring shield error.

colinstu

Ahhhh, got it. State highway shield instead of County Trunk Highway.

dave069

Does anyone else find it surprising that nobody has introduced the speed limit hike bill yet?

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: dave069 on February 02, 2015, 03:12:45 PM
Does anyone else find it surprising that nobody has introduced the speed limit hike bill yet?

It has been mentioned in a devoted thread.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.