News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaBigE

Quote from: mgk920 on April 16, 2020, 02:43:55 PM
Heck, the network sports guys seldom get Green Bay right, too.  It is 'green bay' (equal soft emphasis on both words), *not* 'GREEN bay'.

:-P

Mike

One of my biggest pet-peeves with Troy Aikman's game calling.  :banghead:
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

jakeroot

Could you guys possibly link to a Youtube example of someone saying it right or wrong?

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: DaBigE on April 16, 2020, 03:10:24 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on April 16, 2020, 02:43:55 PM
Heck, the network sports guys seldom get Green Bay right, too.  It is 'green bay' (equal soft emphasis on both words), *not* 'GREEN bay'.

:-P

Mike

One of my biggest pet-peeves with Troy Aikman's game calling.  :banghead:

I'm pretty sure Al Michaels does this too, along with his "New Or-lee-uhns"  which drives me crazy as well.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

SEWIGuy

Quote from: jakeroot on April 16, 2020, 04:19:30 PM
Could you guys possibly link to a Youtube example of someone saying it right or wrong?

At about the :20 mark, he says it correctly here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OXucJunm0o

jakeroot

I see.

So it's either "GREEN BAY" or "green bay" or something in between? Just as long as neither word has more emphasis than the other?

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: jakeroot on April 16, 2020, 07:29:26 PM
I see.

So it's either "GREEN BAY" or "green bay" or something in between? Just as long as neither word has more emphasis than the other?

The stress is that of a two-syllable word, as opposed to two one-syllable words. That is, it's like "high school," an institution of secondary education, and not as "high school," a school where all the students are high.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Big John

And the state name is pronounced Wis-con-sin,, not Wes-con=sin.  I hear the latter too often.

mgk920

Quote from: jakeroot on April 16, 2020, 07:29:26 PM
I see.

Pretty much so.

Mike

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Big John on April 16, 2020, 10:32:38 PM
And the state name is pronounced Wis-con-sin,, not Wes-con=sin.  I hear the latter too often.

I usually pronouce it "HEA-ven"

paulthemapguy

It's actually pronounced wezGAHNsin, with a super nasal "AH"

by various Midwestern gomers
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

gr8daynegb

Quote from: Big John on April 16, 2020, 10:32:38 PM

Digger Phelps(former ESPN college basketball analyst) objects to you pronunciation of our states name. :pan: :wave: :-D :clap:
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

JREwing78

I didn't get a chance to take pictures, but contractors are making steady progress on the I-39/90 construction between Newville and Janesville right now. The northbound roadway is taking shape, and one can see how the area will eventually look once construction has completed. They appear to be on schedule to move traffic to the NBD side by this fall to rebuild the SBD side through Janesville.

US 12 fan

Any thoughts of any highways that should become interstates in the future in Wisconsin? Like for instance, Highway 29 from I-41 in Green Bay to I-94 in Elk Mound. If that happened, it should be I-98. How about Wis 441 becoming I-441? Or Highway 30 becoming a spur route of I-39, I-90, or I-94? If that happened, it could be a spur route of I-39 (say I-239, for instance). Although if that didn't happened, I would prefer Highway 30 expand to end at Highway 113 instead of US 151. Or US 151 from the I-39-I-90-I-94 exit in Madison to the I-41-US 41-US 45 exit in Fond Du Lac. If they did that, it could be I-98 or a spur route of I-39, I-41, I-90, or I-94. Or US 151 from the US 12-US 14 exit to at least Wisconsin-Iowa state line or into Iowa. That could be I-37. They shouldn't be big priorities right now and if never happens, I wouldn't be upset about it. Just thoughts on that. I was thinking about this because I remember talk about how making US 41 an interstate would be a big boon to businesses among cities along that highway because an interstate highway encourages more business than a US highway.

SSOWorld

Quote from: US 12 fan on May 31, 2020, 02:31:17 PM
Any thoughts of any highways that should become interstates in the future in Wisconsin? Like for instance, Highway 29 from I-41 in Green Bay to I-94 in Elk Mound. If that happened, it should be I-98. How about Wis 441 becoming I-441? Or Highway 30 becoming a spur route of I-39, I-90, or I-94? If that happened, it could be a spur route of I-39 (say I-239, for instance). Although if that didn't happened, I would prefer Highway 30 expand to end at Highway 113 instead of US 151. Or US 151 from the I-39-I-90-I-94 exit in Madison to the I-41-US 41-US 45 exit in Fond Du Lac. If they did that, it could be I-98 or a spur route of I-39, I-41, I-90, or I-94. Or US 151 from the US 12-US 14 exit to at least Wisconsin-Iowa state line or into Iowa. That could be I-37. They shouldn't be big priorities right now and if never happens, I wouldn't be upset about it. Just thoughts on that. I was thinking about this because I remember talk about how making US 41 an interstate would be a big boon to businesses among cities along that highway because an interstate highway encourages more business than a US highway.
All fictional - please keep that to the appropriate board.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

triplemultiplex

My dumb ass thought it'd be 'fine' to roll US 51 SB by Tomahawk on Memorial Day while it's down to two lanes for the full depth pavement reconstruction of the SB carriageway.  It was not.  Won't make that weekend mistake again this summer until that is done.
Pretty sure the traffic jam overloaded the cell towers in the area because neither me nor my cousin could load data worth a damn to see how bad it was ahead.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

SSOWorld

Quote from: triplemultiplex on June 05, 2020, 09:28:15 PM
My dumb ass thought it'd be 'fine' to roll US 51 SB by Tomahawk on Memorial Day while it's down to two lanes for the full depth pavement reconstruction of the SB carriageway.  It was not.  Won't make that weekend mistake again this summer until that is done.
Pretty sure the traffic jam overloaded the cell towers in the area because neither me nor my cousin could load data worth a damn to see how bad it was ahead.
The road being closed tricked the traffic status on the goog.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

dvferyance

Quote from: GeekJedi on April 03, 2020, 11:50:04 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 02, 2020, 08:07:12 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on April 02, 2020, 06:28:37 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on March 15, 2020, 08:25:12 AM
WIDOT doesn't do a lot of route changes, and when they do I don't think people get all that confused.  Most people navigate by GPS these days and that helps people figure those things out.
If your outside of Waukesha County I would agree but here we have one section of road that has 3 different designations in less than 2 decades. That says there has been too many changes around here.

What stretch is that?

And you have to know those are exceptions.  And considering Waukesha County's growth, a lot of those changes do make sense.

I think he's talking about the Les Paul Pkwy: 18/59/164
Nope that is a triplex and that road has always at least been 59 since the Waukesha bypass was built. I am talking about a road that has had 3 different numbers or letters in the last 2 decades and that goes to Hwy F from Capitol Dr to Main st in Sussex. It was 164 until 1999 then 74 until 2016 and now F. Not to mention 164 south of Waukesha was once F. So 164 used to be F and F used to be 164 how crazy is that? I am sure you can't find another example of that anywhere else.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: dvferyance on June 11, 2020, 05:33:25 PM
WIDOT doesn't do a lot of route changes, and when they do I don't think people get all that confused.  Most people navigate by GPS these days and that helps people figure those things out.
If your outside of Waukesha County I would agree but here we have one section of road that has 3 different designations in less than 2 decades. That says there has been too many changes around here.

What stretch is that?

And you have to know those are exceptions.  And considering Waukesha County's growth, a lot of those changes do make sense.

Nope that is a triplex and that road has always at least been 59 since the Waukesha bypass was built. I am talking about a road that has had 3 different numbers or letters in the last 2 decades and that goes to Hwy F from Capitol Dr to Main st in Sussex. It was 164 until 1999 then 74 until 2016 and now F. Not to mention 164 south of Waukesha was once F. So 164 used to be F and F used to be 164 how crazy is that? I am sure you can't find another example of that anywhere else.

Are these changes creating confusion or do you just not like change?  IMO this is how highway systems evolve, especially in high growth areas.

thspfc

Quote from: SSOWorld on June 06, 2020, 11:25:27 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on June 05, 2020, 09:28:15 PM
The road being closed tricked the traffic status on the goog.
That road is always backed up on Memorial Day. From Minocqua to Wausau, then again from Portage to Madison and beyond - probably all the way to Rockford, but I've never taken it that far on a holiday.

dvferyance

Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 11, 2020, 05:52:49 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on June 11, 2020, 05:33:25 PM

What stretch is that?

Are these changes creating confusion or do you just not like change?  IMO this is how highway systems evolve, especially in high growth areas.
Little of both really I don't mind a few changes here and there every once in a great while but for them to keep doing it every few years get's to be too much. At least the good news is I don't see any further changes in Waukesha County in the coming years. I don't see what would be changed. The only thing I could see is a few local roads promoted to county highways as the county grows and some minor roads become more major but I see no future candidates with swaps between the state and the county.

dvferyance

I checked out the new Elm Road interchange today. I noticed Elm Road does not go through to the east to 13th street. That is too bad because it would provide some relief to Ryan Road with the new Amazon plant. It does appear I was right and they are keeping the southern terminus of WI-241 at 7 Mile Road as I thought which I think is a good idea myself instead of turning it onto Elm and ending it at the interchange. I am kind of surprised they did not put a traffic light at 27th and Elm but I guess there isn't enough traffic to warrant one. The 4 way stop should be sufficient enough.

Big John

Gov. Evers wants to revive the !-94 East-West freeway project.

https://www.wpr.org/evers-wants-revive-i-94-east-west-expansion

mgk920

thspfc

Quote from: mgk920 on July 08, 2020, 11:11:28 PM
Quote from: Big John on July 08, 2020, 05:19:01 PM
Gov. Evers wants to revive the !-94 East-West freeway project.

https://www.wpr.org/evers-wants-revive-i-94-east-west-expansion

:wow:

Mike
Hopefully that means the bottleneck at the Stadium Interchange will be gone. That area is impossible to drive through on game days.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: thspfc on July 10, 2020, 02:46:16 PM
Hopefully that means the bottleneck at the Stadium Interchange will be gone. That area is impossible to drive through on game days.

If only there were game day traffic...

At least that last chunk is sort of 'shovel ready' as soon as someone can rustle up some funds.

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.