Two of the same business visible from one place

Started by lepidopteran, February 06, 2019, 09:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: texaskdog on February 07, 2019, 08:00:17 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 06, 2019, 10:37:42 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on February 06, 2019, 10:03:19 PM
In Minnesota SuperAmerica bought 7-11 so they have many instances of being across the street from each other. 

I associate this with Holiday more than SA. North Branch for some reason has *three* of them; two east of I-35 which are across the street from each other, and one on the west side. Duluth has two Holidays roughly flanking the corner where I-35 ends.

In WI there are places where Kwik Trips co-exist on the same corner, likely where a new larger store was built to supplement an smaller, older unit and the two units coexist together.

I used to work for Holiday, that is funny.  It's actually genius to get people going in both directions without making them cross the street.

Speaking of Holiday I noticed today they've started to phase in some Circle K branding (the fountain drink cups now have the Circle K logo) after K's parent company acquired Holiday a couple years ago.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

hbelkins

Years ago, I was struck by the number of Shell stations along US 27 in Somerset. Part of that was probably because there was a huge distributor of Shell gasoline in the area.

In Frankfort, there are two Five Star food marts across the street from each other on US 60 near I-64. One has BP gas, I think the other has Shell.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

noelbotevera

Quote from: Rothman on February 07, 2019, 08:09:14 AM
Quote from: noelbotevera on February 06, 2019, 11:26:24 PM
Quote from: Rothman on February 06, 2019, 10:57:14 PM
Got to be places where you see mattress stores near each other.
That really narrows it down. I hope you don't mean the whole United States.

In all seriousness, this constriction isn't true in my town, though a close but no cigar case exists; here is a former Sheetz's location. Assuming it is still a Sheetz (and it was prior to 2015 or so), way off into the distance you can barely see the other Sheetz. It's past an overpass and I can make out (what seems to be) a red column from the GSV.
I do mean the whole United States.  Now that I mean that, what catastrophe were you fearing?
The day that mattress stores take over the world. Before you know it, it'll be total anarchy as people can only shop at mattress stores.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: noelbotevera on February 07, 2019, 03:31:45 PM

In all seriousness, this constriction isn't true in my town, though a close but no cigar case exists; here is a former Sheetz's location. Assuming it is still a Sheetz (and it was prior to 2015 or so), way off into the distance you can barely see the other Sheetz. It's past an overpass and I can make out (what seems to be) a red column from the GSV.
I do mean the whole United States.  Now that I mean that, what catastrophe were you fearing?
The day that mattress stores take over the world. Before you know it, it'll be total anarchy as people can only shop at mattress stores.

I believe you are referring to the Franchise Wars.  People in 2032 San-Angeles could only eat at Taco Bell, good luck figuring out how to use the three seashells.

Brandon

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 07, 2019, 03:52:56 PM

I believe you are referring to the Franchise Wars.  People in 2032 San-Angeles could only eat at Taco Bell, good luck figuring out how to use the three seashells.

Greetings and salutations!
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Brandon on February 07, 2019, 04:31:42 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 07, 2019, 03:52:56 PM

Greetings and salutations!

Be well Brandon!

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 07, 2019, 04:36:57 PM
Be well Brandon!

You are fined five credits for violations of the Verbal Morality Statute.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on February 07, 2019, 04:50:13 PM
Be well Brandon!

Good, I couldn't figure out how to use the seashells and needed some toilet paper. 

Brandon

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 07, 2019, 04:51:17 PM
Be well Brandon!

Good, I couldn't figure out how to use the seashells and needed some toilet paper. 

Esta carne es de rata.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

abefroman329

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 07, 2019, 04:51:17 PM
Be well Brandon!

He doesn't know how to use the three seashells!

DandyDan

70th and Havelock in Lincoln, NE has a Casey's on both the NW and SW corners. Eagle, NE, which is the first city east of Lincoln, has 2 Casey's on US 34. I believe in both cases, one was originally built by Casey's and the other was one they bought.

Here in Mason City, we are down to 3 Subways, 2 of which are the one just outside Walmart and the one in Walmart. Starbucks is both in Target and in the small shopping center to the west of Target.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

CNGL-Leudimin

I've seen two of the same gas station brand right across the street from each other. However I see this situation where each one is intended to serve one direction of traffic. I cannot understand why one would put two of the same restaurant (for example) right next to each other.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

1995hoo

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on February 08, 2019, 05:30:17 AM
I've seen two of the same gas station brand right across the street from each other. However I see this situation where each one is intended to serve one direction of traffic. I cannot understand why one would put two of the same restaurant (for example) right next to each other.

I could see if one chain took over the other and they kept both open for lease compliance reasons, maybe, so as not to eat the cost of an early termination penalty. Maybe.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

formulanone

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 07, 2019, 08:40:50 AM
Honorable mention: Fair Oaks Mall in Fairfax has two Macy's stores (Macyses?).

Macii :D Frankly, we don't get to use the -ii ending enough as a plural, though I suppose it depends on the root word's origin.

I don't think you can have plural of a possessive; ownership is noted first by the company's name, which is the purpose of the apostrophe-s. Possessive of multiple items would still be apostrophe-s, I suppose, so "Macy's stores" would be grammatically correct.

Then again, it's a proper noun, so it can really be whatever they want to call a plural. People used to wonder what the plural of "Lexus" was (Lexuses or Lexii?) when I worked there, and the answer was indeterminate...likely the -es was correct, and -ii just sounded different. We had no formal word from Toyota on the matter, so it was a little bit of fun conversation.

abefroman329

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 07, 2019, 08:40:50 AMHonorable mention: Fair Oaks Mall in Fairfax has two Macy's stores (Macyses?). You can't see one from the other, but two of the same department store in the same mall feels like it fits the spirit of this thread.
That's rare and surprising; in most cases where that happened (I'm assuming Fair Oaks used to have a Macy's and a Hecht's, and one is a former Hecht's), Macy's would close one of the two stores.

hotdogPi

Quote from: formulanone on February 08, 2019, 09:46:32 AM

Macii :D Frankly, we don't get to use the -ii ending enough as a plural, though I suppose it depends on the root word's origin.

I don't think you can have plural of a possessive; ownership is noted first by the company's name, which is the purpose of the apostrophe-s. Possessive of multiple items would still be apostrophe-s, I suppose, so "Macy's stores" would be grammatically correct.

Then again, it's proper noun, so it can really be whatever they want to call a plural. People used to wonder what the plural of "Lexus" was (Lexuses or Lexii?) when I worked there, and the answer was indeterminate...likely the -es was correct, and -ii just sounded different. We had no formal word from Toyota on the matter, so it was a little bit of fun conversation.

-ii can only be a plural of -ius.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: 1 on February 08, 2019, 10:06:52 AM

Then again, it's proper noun, so it can really be whatever they want to call a plural. People used to wonder what the plural of "Lexus" was (Lexuses or Lexii?) when I worked there, and the answer was indeterminate...likely the -es was correct, and -ii just sounded different. We had no formal word from Toyota on the matter, so it was a little bit of fun conversation.

Neither cactus nor rhombus end in -ius but their plurals end in -ii
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hotdogPi

Quote from: cabiness42 on February 08, 2019, 11:21:39 AM

Cacti, rhombi. The rule is us → i. Radius becomes radii because the i in radius is unchanged, and then the us becomes a second i. Cactus and rhombus don't have an i to keep.

(3dus → 3di has already been discussed in another thread.)
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

lepidopteran

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 08, 2019, 09:49:17 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on February 07, 2019, 08:40:50 AMHonorable mention: Fair Oaks Mall in Fairfax has two Macy's stores (Macyses?). You can't see one from the other, but two of the same department store in the same mall feels like it fits the spirit of this thread.
That's rare and surprising; in most cases where that happened (I'm assuming Fair Oaks used to have a Macy's and a Hecht's, and one is a former Hecht's), Macy's would close one of the two stores.
In northern Miami-Dade county, the Aventura Mall had the first Macy's in Florida when it opened circa 1983.  Later on the mall expanded to add a Burdines, which only a short time later became Burdines-Macy's, then just Macy's.  Both stores are open; the original focuses on  women's and children's fashion, while the newer one is men's fashion along with home furnishings.  (The banner used to be a little misleading: "Men's Home Furniture".  Man-caves, anyone?)

In Toledo, OH, the now-demolished Southwyck Mall had 2 Lion stores -- one for fashion, the other for home furnishings (the latter opened originally as Lamson's, another local chain).  When Dillard's took over The Lion Store, both stores remained as they were.

Rothman

Quote from: 1 on February 08, 2019, 11:33:23 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on February 08, 2019, 11:21:39 AM

Cacti, rhombi. The rule is us → i. Radius becomes radii because the i in radius is unchanged, and then the us becomes a second i. Cactus and rhombus don't have an i to keep.

Octopuses.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Flint1979

Near my neighborhood there are two Shell stations more or less diagonally across Franconia Road from each other and you can easily see one from the other: https://goo.gl/maps/x4JBJdskn1C2 (Both are too expensive compared to the other Shell a mile to the east.)

Honorable mention: Fair Oaks Mall in Fairfax has two Macy's stores (Macyses?). You can't see one from the other, but two of the same department store in the same mall feels like it fits the spirit of this thread.
I looked at Fair Oaks Mall and noticed the two Macy's. However one Macy's store is the home and furniture store and the other Macy's store is the regular Macy's store. Younkers and some other Bon-Ton stores did this as well in several malls before their closure.

Younkers did this at Meridian Mall in Okemos, MI and one time I parked outside of Younkers and went into the mall through Younkers. Then when I was leaving I went to the wrong Younkers store and couldn't figure out why I couldn't find where I parked. Then I looked at mall directory and noticed there were two Younkers stores. I never realized that before that time. This was about 5 years ago.

Flint1979

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 08, 2019, 09:49:17 AM
I've been reading up on this mall. One of the stores is a regular Macy's, the other one is Macy's Furniture Gallery.

hbelkins

Quote from: 1 on February 08, 2019, 11:33:23 AM

Not exactly the same thing. That discussion referred to people calling a three-digit US route a "3di" when it should rightly be called a "3dus." A "3di" is a three-digit Interstate route.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Mrt90

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 07, 2019, 09:43:01 AM
I saw two identical gas stations of the same brand on Highway 50 in Kenosha last weekend - I guess they reasoned they had enough customers traveling in both directions that the two stations wouldn't cannibalize each other.

I drive by these every day.  They are in Pleasant Prairie (just south of the Kenosha border) at the intersection of Highway 50 and County Highway H.  There had been a PDQ store on the northwest corner for a number of years.  Kwik Trip built a store on the southwest corner a few years ago, and then in 2017 Kwik Trip bought all of the PDQ stores.  So now there are Kwip Trip Stores on both sides of Highway 50 on opposite corners, and they both seem to be pretty busy.

Google Streetview is from July 2017 when the northwest corner was still PDQ.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5668429,-87.9139066,3a,75y,255.63h,87.02t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s63ZYnoGedTZF6MwlwJdM4A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

catch22

Honorable mention: Fair Oaks Mall in Fairfax has two Macy's stores (Macyses?). You can't see one from the other, but two of the same department store in the same mall feels like it fits the spirit of this thread.

There are two Macy's stores in Lakeside Mall in Sterling Heights, MI.  Crowley's, a Detroit-area department store chain, closed down a few years ago and the former Hudson's/Marshall Field's store expanded into the old Crowley's space; Federated kept this arrangement after the Macy's conversion.  It carries the men's clothing and housewares departments.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.